Sign in to follow this  
Fultz4thewin

Offseason Thread pt V: The Sentinel Strikes Back (and makes us sad)

That's true. The bigger issue people have with baseball is that the have-nots seem to be the have-nots for large amounts of time. The Pirates, Royals, Nationals, etc.

Oh, and the thing where the Yankees buy everyone. People hate that too.

You're right, as a person who is somewhat a fan of baseball, I cannot stand the Yankees for that very reason. For that same reason I cannot stand the Heat. Plus, the players on those small market teams that don't have the opportunity to stack talent that actually do win every once in a while, those core players that were major contributors usually get bought by those Yankee like teams before too long. I would be a bigger supporter of the MLB if they did have a salary cap to promote equality throughout the league.

That's true. The bigger issue people have with baseball is that the have-nots seem to be the have-nots for large amounts of time. The Pirates, Royals, Nationals, etc.

Oh, and the thing where the Yankees buy everyone. People hate that too.

That ignores teams like the Rays, who have remained competitive despite there being no good reason why they should be able to. And the Tigers were horrible for a long stretch of time and they managed to turn things around and make it a World Series recently also. The Marlins bought one championship, had a fire sale, then rebuilt their team with prospects and won another one in six years. It can be done.

You're right, as a person who is somewhat a fan of baseball, I cannot stand the Yankees for that very reason. For that same reason I cannot stand the Heat. Plus, the players on those small market teams that don't have the opportunity to stack talent that actually do win every once in a while, those core players that were major contributors usually get bought by those Yankee like teams before too long. I would be a bigger supporter of the MLB if they did have a salary cap to promote equality throughout the league.

But again, equality throughout MLB has shown to be much greater than in the NBA.

It's even more staggering when you consider that 8 teams qualify for the MLB playoffs every year while 16 qualify for the NBA playoffs, and somehow more different MLB teams have managed to participate in their sport's championship series than have those in the NBA. How do you explain that if equality in the NBA is helped so much by the salary cap?

Baseball and basketball are apples and oranges. Basketball does not have a real developmental system and the rosters are much smaller. Teams like the Rays can stay competitive with superior scouting and a constant turning over of the roster. If the Magic lose Dwight Howard they will not be competitive.

But again, equality throughout MLB has shown to be much greater than in the NBA.

It's even more staggering when you consider that 8 teams qualify for the MLB playoffs every year while 16 qualify for the NBA playoffs, and somehow more different MLB teams have managed to participate in their sport's championship series than have those in the NBA. How do you explain that if equality in the NBA is helped so much by the salary cap?

I should have said hard cap. Cause really the NBA salary cap for large market teams may as well be no cap like it is for baseball.

The Orlando Magic didn't complete a blockbuster trade in recent weeks, but it's not for lack of trying. The Magic were constantly working the phones in the weeks leading up to the 2011 NBA Draft and talked to a number of teams about potential deals, but they simply didn't have the assets to complete a trade.

The Magic were in contact with the Phoenix Suns, Charlotte Bobcats, Philadelphia 76ers, Atlanta Hawks and Portland Trail Blazers among other teams. They were targeting Steve Nash, Stephen Jackson, Andre Iguodala, Josh Smith and Andre Miller.

Orlando wants to surround Dwight Howard with better talent to put a championship within reach and make sure he's content as he approaches free agency after next season.

Jackson and Miller were dealt on draft night and the Magic were in the running to acquire their services.

Sources confirmed that the Magic and Blazers were in serious talks that would have sent Nelson to Portland in exchange for Miller and the twenty-first pick. Had Orlando acquired Miller, they likely would have tried to flip him and his non-guaranteed contract for one of the other players they were targeting. The Hawks and 76ers were looking to shed salary so the Magic saw Miller as a way to improve their offer.

Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=20296#ixzz1QgpcBdDz

I should have said hard cap. Cause really the NBA salary cap for large market teams may as well be no cap like it is for baseball.

It's not just teams in large media markets doing this. The Magic are not considered a big market, yet they have one of the highest payrolls in the league.

The Spurs are in a smaller media market than Orlando and they've managed to win four championships since 1999. The large market/small market stuff just isn't true.

It's not just teams in large media markets doing this. The Magic are not considered a big market, yet they have one of the highest payrolls in the league.

The Spurs are in a smaller media market than Orlando and they've managed to win four championships since 1999. The large market/small market stuff just isn't true.

Rich owners, money making large markets? Point is if you have the money in the NBA you can put a better team on the court period and that just is true. I am not going any further cause I have been on these boards long enough to know that if I don't stop you definately won't. As for my views? I am with Barkley on this one.

Does anyone know if the Lewis trade was executed before the Carter trade? I know they were done "at the same time", but one had to be first. If it was Lewis, the graphic at the top of the screen could be their exit order.

:(