Sign in to follow this  
Fultz4thewin

Offseason Thread part 2

Nelson, Anderson or Orton for Jason Thompson, Casspri or Udrih and maybe Jermaine Taylor

Then sign Prince.

Use Gortat's exception for Mayo with a future 1st rounder or maybe do something in a 3 way to land him.

Cut Hedo with Amnesty Clause. Reconstruct Gilbert's contract.

Lineup:

Arenas / Udrih / Duhon

Mayo / JJ / Taylor

Prince / Casspri / Richardson

Thompson / Bass / Clark

Howard / Hayes or Foster

Otis...Where you at?

I love Casspi. I like Thompson. And normally I'd like those moves.

But that roster doesn't scream title contention to me. Not anytime soon atleast. Plus those guys ceiling isn't high enough to build a future team around. I don't know.

I love Casspi. I like Thompson. And normally I'd like those moves.

But that roster doesn't scream title contention to me. Not anytime soon atleast. Plus those guys ceiling isn't high enough to build a future team around. I don't know.

True but you got a balance. Thompson is young but can really be a force playing with Dwight and learning from a coach like Stan. Casspi I like too but young which is why I put him behind Prince. Prince brings that winning veteran type of aura in him. Only question mark I see really is if Memphis biting on the Mayo trade. They could just use him as a 6th man but I pray they don't and that they want salary cap relief but if we could land him he would be your explosive young sg who could grow with Dwight and pair up nicely with Arenas in the backcourt. Then theres Arenas. He'd be our starting pg so thats a :unsure: that can turn into a :panicworker: or can turn into a :bigparty: . You do have Udrih backing him up whos a solid pg with size and isn't quite the offensive force that Nelson is but is a vet who can man the position if needed.

To me its realistic and looking at the Mavs who just won the title with their roster...I feel whats important is not so much the names on the back of the jersey. I mean I understand why you want Ellis and Iggy and all that but whats important is the hearts. We have guys who want to win and are pretty capable players with good solid bball intelligence and imo, this is realistic.It would also nice to add one more veteran. A glue guy. Maybe Richardson is that but I dunno. A veteran big would be ideal.

I knew people would start comparing us to the Mavs.

Here is the difference between us and the Mavs. They have a go to scorer who could hit from anywhere on the court in Dirk. And oh yeah, he's 7 feet tall.

You could argue Terry is better at creating his own shot than anyone we currently have under contract as well. They also have a bunch of pesky defenders who play tough.

Mayo COULD be that guy, but he also could turn out to be nothing more than a #3 or #4 on a contending team. Right now, that is where he's at at best. Most of the people wanting Mayo (including myself) are banking on him to reach his potential. That's not to say he won't be a serviceable player before then, and I think would be the best scorer we've had in quite some time.

But yeah, I still would be iffy on that deal. Especially with Udrih, who I didn't notice when I originally read it. We'd have damn near 30 mil committed to our PG rotation.

I knew people would start comparing us to the Mavs.

Here is the difference between us and the Mavs. They have a go to scorer who could hit from anywhere on the court in Dirk. And oh yeah, he's 7 feet tall.

You could argue Terry is better at creating his own shot than anyone we currently have under contract as well. They also have a bunch of pesky defenders who play tough.

Mayo COULD be that guy, but he also could turn out to be nothing more than a #3 or #4 on a contending team. Right now, that is where he's at at best. Most of the people wanting Mayo (including myself) are banking on him to reach his potential. That's not to say he won't be a serviceable player before then, and I think would be the best scorer we've had in quite some time.

But yeah, I still would be iffy on that deal. Especially with Udrih, who I didn't notice when I originally read it. We'd have damn near 30 mil committed to our PG rotation.

I'm not trying to compare to mavs I'm trying to be realistic. In fact, if you look at all my posts for the last month or 2, I've been saying we aren't getting Iggy, Ellis, Boozer (ugh. Hate the thought of him on this team), etc and I really believe that. I'm trying to be as realistic as I can by getting good players who have shown enough will in their respective time that they WANT to win and are willing to play defense with the assets we have.

So since we both agree on the Mayo thing...Lets look at this.

If Arenas does in fact reconstruct his contract, then it won't be 30 million. Also the original deal was Casspi OR Udrih. Not both. I rather have Casspi but I included the option of Udrih instead simply because I don't know with Arenas. Dude has an arthritic knee. Maybe Duhon gets into better shape, develops a better shot and comes back stronger then you got more stability there behind Arenas if he does come back strong but has to miss a game here or there. Who knows. Otis would know all that and that would be a judgment call hes better off making.

I don't think Udrih if we had Mike Wilks starting at the 1. Udrih's contract is turrible.

Also, it's fine that you're trying to be realistic, but realistically, this team needs more than realistic. It needs an out of this world, once in a lifetime steal ala Gasol to LA to REALLY compete. Either that, or you blow the whole thing up.

We need ATLEAST 1 really legit piece to the puzzle by the end of the offseason. Somehow, someway we need it. If not, we're in big trouble.

I don't think Udrih if we had Mike Wilks starting at the 1. Udrih's contract is turrible.

Also, it's fine that you're trying to be realistic, but realistically, this team needs more than realistic. It needs an out of this world, once in a lifetime steal ala Gasol to LA to REALLY compete. Either that, or you blow the whole thing up.

We need ATLEAST 1 really legit piece to the puzzle by the end of the offseason. Somehow, someway we need it. If not, we're in big trouble.

Yeah it is and thats why I put Casspi first. I'd prefer to have him. Just scratch Udrih's name off. Nelson, Anderson or Orton for Thompson and Casspi.

To me theres no out of this world deal to be had. That deal was CP3 last summer which came close but didn't happen. I would love to have that Gasol steal but whos out there, that makes sense for the other team to trade to us for our assets, and really can be that "holy **** we got ______!!:band: :cheers: :bigparty: "

I just don't and the whole blowing up thing relys on Dwight. We can sit here and say if he'd be for it or against it. My opinion is he'd be against it. He looked as frustrated as I've ever seen him last year. Another year of that mixed with hopefull ideas might not be a good idea.

AT LEAST, with Thompson, Casspi, Mayo, you have assets to trade to land other players.

I think we're in bigger trouble if we blow it up with no true assets and just take on salary dump deals.

http://www.nba.com/2011/news/06/13/dwight-howard-free-agency-future/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt2

TREVISO, Italy -- Dwight Howard reaffirmed his desire to stay with the Magic, but told NBA.com on Monday that he will definitely become a free agent rather than sign an extension in the next year and also left open the possibility he would reconsider his future in Orlando if the team does not win the title next season.

Speaking during a break at the adidas Eurocamp as part of a tour of the continent for the shoe company, Howard joked with reporters at a news conference and appeared in good spirits.

In a one-on-one interview afterward, though, he made it clear he is not happy with the collective personality of Orlando's roster and that changes need to be made. The same message, he said, was delivered to owner Rich DeVos and CEO Bob Vander Weide in a meeting last week that included Howard sharing thoughts on everything from personnel to fan involvement and arena atmosphere at home games.

"I want to win a championship," the All-Star center said. "I think the owners have to really know that. That's been my goal and my mission since I've been in the NBA -- to win a championship. I don't have side goals or agendas. My main goal is to win a championship. I want to have 14 other guys who feel the same way."

I'm starting to think the whole clearing cap space thing won't work, unless we somehow got some serviceable tough players to go along with it. Who knows. :svgsad: