Sign in to follow this  
UEBERMORTAL

Is the franchise tag the only chance to keep Dwight in town?

With the Magic on the verge to loose in the first round to the Hawks, I was thinking is the franchise tag the only chance to keep Dwight in Orlando? Thanks to Otis, we now have Turk and Arenas bond to our team for a long time, not to forget that we have the 2nd highest payroll in the entire NBA. How can we form a contending team with those trading assets. No one will trade for Turkoglu nor Arenas. We lost our back-up center in a stupid trade that got us J-Rich instead of i. e. Iguodala. Right now I am pissed off a Magic organisation (especially Otis) for getting his buds instead of good players which can support Dwight.

Hopefully we can make changes and I hope we can retain Dwight with a franchise tag; thats our only chance!!!

• Upvote 1

No. I could care less about the franchise tag, because that is a one year bandaid at best. I want salary cap relief, that is what I am praying for. Also, I would not be so quick to think that Dwight is leaving, he has made no suggestions that he is leaving ad I heard someone on the raido expalining why Dwight has not signed an extension, and from what he said it was in Dwights best interest not to sign now. I can not remember exactly why (I was on the phone trying to listen) but from what I remember the host was satisfied with the answer. I am not about to panic about Dwight leaving, he is not Shaq.

Ugh quit pimping your site.

This.

I think bringing in players that are more than one-trick ponies will help keep Dwight in town. I think too many people look to Shaq as an example of how players leave the Magic.

A quick flashback to those times, we thought we had the next Michael Jordan in Penny Hardaway, a player who took over and got us to the next round when Shaq was out for multiple games. It seemed like Penny was able to guide the team where Shaq, who put up huge numbers, but always managed to get dominated by Hakeem and Ewing and the Bulls squad, wasn't.

When Shaq left, the view of a lot of fans at the time was: "Good riddance."

The belief was that Shaq, while an amazing player, didn't have what it took to win it all, and he went to a Lakers team that didn't really have anything going for it.

Well, time showed all that crap: Penny's knees went away shortly after Barkley's proclamation that the Magic were "one ACL away from being a lottery team, and the Lakers and Shaq went on to greatness.

Different times.

Personally, I don't think Dwight will go anywhere unless a.) the fans push him out by either calling for a trade so "we get something from him leaving, rather than nothing when he inevitably leaves," or b.) nothing is done with this roster in the off-season.

I think Dwight will (privately, because he really is a class act) call for heads to roll if some heart isn't shown on Tuesday. I'd be surprised if he doesn't call for them anyways: this team obviously has a lot of holes in it - we shouldn't be losing a series where he averages 30/20.

This.

I think bringing in players that are more than one-trick ponies will help keep Dwight in town. I think too many people look to Shaq as an example of how players leave the Magic.

A quick flashback to those times, we thought we had the next Michael Jordan in Penny Hardaway, a player who took over and got us to the next round when Shaq was out for multiple games. It seemed like Penny was able to guide the team where Shaq, who put up huge numbers, but always managed to get dominated by Hakeem and Ewing and the Bulls squad, wasn't.

When Shaq left, the view of a lot of fans at the time was: "Good riddance."

The belief was that Shaq, while an amazing player, didn't have what it took to win it all, and he went to a Lakers team that didn't really have anything going for it.

Well, time showed all that crap: Penny's knees went away shortly after Barkley's proclamation that the Magic were "one ACL away from being a lottery team, and the Lakers and Shaq went on to greatness.

Different times.

Personally, I don't think Dwight will go anywhere unless a.) the fans push him out by either calling for a trade so "we get something from him leaving, rather than nothing when he inevitably leaves," or b.) nothing is done with this roster in the off-season.

I think Dwight will (privately, because he really is a class act) call for heads to roll if some heart isn't shown on Tuesday. I'd be surprised if he doesn't call for them anyways: this team obviously has a lot of holes in it - we shouldn't be losing a series where he averages 30/20.

Just goes to show you how, as fans go, Magic fans suck. I can remembetr arguing with fans about Shaq and how I was sooooo Pissed that he left. You are right there were so many people that thought that... UGH. I have already seen one Magic fans saying to trade Dwight to get something.... I told him he was an IDIOT, and anyone else I will say the same thing too.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Dwight's FA is getting more attention because of how LeBron, Melo, D-Will, Bosh, Boozer, Amare, etc. have all changed teams and people expect Dwight to do the same. He could leave, but it's being overblown at the moment. Plus this stuff started to pick up steam after the trades too, before then the idea of Dwight leaving wasn't taken that seriously.

wah wah wah. All I see on this site it seems.

Until he states that he wants to leave I won't care. Even then... it is what it is. And then the one guy that has actually put together an effort to make a "Stay Dwight" campaign gets a ton of **** from everybody on here... I mean come on. If your that worried at least support that dude.