Sign in to follow this  
Dan Savage

Howard Again Named EC Player of the Week

The real story is the Bulls resurgence. If we viewed all of those stats in a vacuum, Dwight would be the clear frontrunner.

But the Magic are coming off back-to-back 59 win seasons and back-to-back appearances in the ECF. The Bulls have jumped from an 8th seed cupcake to the #1 seed in the conference in one season. Rose is getting all the credit - deservedly so - for the Bulls turnaround.

I disagree, If the Bulls still had Viiny Del Negro they'd be a 4-8 seed. Even with their current roster. I give Thibodeau all the credit for brain washing defense into their system.

I disagree, If the Bulls still had Viiny Del Negro they'd be a 5-8 seed. Even with their current roster. I give Thibodeau all the credit for brain washing defense into their system.

Are you disagreeing with why the MVP vote is skewed toward Rose? I'm pretty sure that Thibodeau isn't up for the MVP vote.

Are you disagreeing with why the MVP vote is skewed toward Rose? I'm pretty sure that Thibodeau isn't up for the MVP vote.

My fault, I miss read it. I thought you we're saying since Bulls are 1st in the East, Rose is getting all the deserving credit.

My point was I don't feel deserves all the credit he is getting becuase Thibodeau is 60% of the reason for all their success.

My fault, I miss read it. I thought you we're saying since Bulls are 1st in the East, Rose is getting all the deserving credit.

My point was I don't feel deserves all the credit he is getting becuase Thibodeau is 60% of the reason for all their success.

Agreed...and that is why he is likely to win COY alongside Rose's MVP. Let them have their accolades, so long as we dismantle them in Round 2.

• Upvote 3

What annoys me a little bit is that people bring Rose into the MVP discussion because of the Bulls rise to the top of the EC. No one mentioned Dwight in the MVP discussion when the Magic were on or near the top of the East, yet it's an important issue when discussing Rose. Was Dwight even in the top 5 MVP rankings?

ALSO... Rose is actually a liability on defense, their D picks up when he's on the bench.

Rose does NOT impact the game like Dwight does on both OFFENSE and DEFENSE. No one does. NO ONE! Put Dwight on the bench and our O and D suffers. Put Rose on the bench and their O drops but their D goes up.

Besides, the amount of things Dwight has done over the last few years are astonishing and this year he's gone further. Two trips to the ECF, once to the Finals, lead the league in rebounds, blocks and then the next season in both categories again PLUS FG%... two time DPOY and most likely the first player ever to be DPOY three years in a row, three time All-NBA first team, 5th youngest to 10.000 points, youngest player to get 1000, 2000, 3000, 4000, 5000, 6000 and 7000 rebounds, youngest player in NBA history to lead the league in rebounding and blocks, the first ever NBA player to lead the league in total rebounds for five consecutive seasons.. I know past achievements don't mean much for season MVP, but the guy has done work and deserves to be recognized by the league.

One good season from Rose, and he's an instant MVP? It's just BS, to me. Peremeter players always get the benefit of the doubt, just look at Shaq... it's a shame he only has one, ONE, MVP award. The guy was killing the league back in his prime.

• Upvote 1

Maybe we should be thankful that people are actually admitting that Dwight is the MVP over LeBron James, at least. Didn't know the media would ever actually acknowledge that (2nd place vs. 3rd, general consensus).

Baby steps. Baby steps.

You guys all forget that Rose has increased his 3 point percentage. Huge factor in the MVP discussion, not sure how you missed it.

Seriously though, I've actually seen that mentioned as a reason he deserves the MVP. Really?

Props to you Dwight. You also have the most Player of the Months (2 to Lebrons 1.5 and Wades .5), but yet you're a whole level below Rose. I think the last time Dwight was this overlooked by the basketball world was in 2009 when he didn't have the right attitude or enough skill to make it all the way.

We all know what happened in 2009. Just sayin'.

Do you guys think that if players still voted for the MVP, Dwight would win no discussion? In my personal opinion, the players would definately choose Dwight for MVP just because they have experienced for years now his dominant play. And this year is no exception.

Do you guys think that if players still voted for the MVP, Dwight would win no discussion? In my personal opinion, the players would definately choose Dwight for MVP just because they have experienced for years now his dominant play. And this year is no exception.

im not sure about that. I think they'd be split just like fans are.

Let them have their accolades, so long as we dismantle them in Round 2.

This would be the best. If the Magic could oust the Bulls in the 2nd round, which I think we can, it would cast a pretty big shadow over Rose's MVP season. Sorta like Olajuwon embarrassing Robinson after he won the MVP back in the day.

This would be the best. If the Magic could oust the Bulls in the 2nd round, which I think we can, it would cast a pretty big shadow over Rose's MVP season. Sorta like Olajuwon embarrassing Robinson after he won the MVP back in the day.

Or Dirk having to accept the MVP after his team had already been ousted by the #8 seed.