Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

2009 Magic vs. 2011 Magic ; Who's more potent?

Rafer's career assist numbers have nothing to do with this conversation as we've both agreed that he was a below average to average PG before joining the Magic. And as I said before, because of his size and aggressiveness, the edge has to go to Rafer as far as passing ability.

He was always an average PG, even with the Magic. He and Jameer's passing abilities are pretty much on the same level. Neither are an upgrade over each other in those regards.

You're right about him not starting, my mistake...however, you speaking for "everyone" saying that we were getting an "all-star" back is a bunch of bull. There was a LOT of doubt and speculation floating around about the whole Jameer playing in the Finals situation. Everyone knew he was still injured INCLUDING Stan. He would have started and got more than 18mpg in the Finals had he been healthy, no?

Jameer should not have played in the NBA finals, if he did, a lot of people were in agreement that it should have been in a very, VERY limited role. Frankly, when he got his minutes was a big problem and the amount (18mpg) was not very "limited"....period.

Come on dude, you say you wish Rafer could've stayed and you claim to appreciate his services for that year, but you sure seem to be finding every excuse in the book as to not acknowledging what he truly brought to our team and what he REALLY did for our team in 2009.

There were people on both sides of the argument. I don't think anyone will argue that in hindsight, playing Jameer was a mistake. But clearly the Magic thought they could benefit from him playing, and Rafer knew going in that Jameer was the PG of this team and that an early return was possible, but he threw a fit and clashed with SVG over it instead of handling the situation like a veteran.

I would've liked Rafer to stay as Jameer's backup, but Rafer assured that couldn't happen with his actions, he needed to go.

No one said anything about him being "amazing" or "great at anything"...but it's clear now, your definition of mediocre is off because he clearly wasn't "mediocre" in our Finals run. Shooting is NOT part of his game (as we've already discussed), that much is obvious so I'm not sure where you're going with your argument as a whole really. Had he been what YOU actually make him out to be, we might not have made it out of the 1st round against Philly that year.

Mediocre pretty much is not being great at anything. Rafer is just solid. We wouldn't have gone to the Finals without him, but that's because we would've been stuck with AJ as our starting PG and Tyronn Lue as his backup. Dwight, Hedo and Rashard all playing at a high level and KG being hurt all had bigger parts of our Finals run than Rafer did. Rafer just came in and gave us some much needed stability at the position. A healthy Jameer that year could've done much more for us the way he was playing that year. But props to Rafer for helping us, I don't miss him or lust for the "good ol days" with him playing.

The whole "Alston got us to the finals" argument always makes me laugh. Jameer almost always plays well in the playoffs. There's no way anyone is going to convince me that 09 Jameer couldn't have got us to the finals. I find that whole position absurd.

• Upvote 2

The whole "Alston got us to the finals" argument always makes me laugh. Jameer almost always plays well in the playoffs. There's no way anyone is going to convince me that 09 Jameer couldn't have got us to the finals. I find that whole position absurd.

I agree. We almost lost to a 41 win 76ers team and needed to become the first team in NBA history to beat the Celtics after being down 3-2 despite no KG with Rafer starting. I have a hard time beleiving we would've lost one of those series with Jameer, especially with the way he was playing that year. I'm not trying to knock Rafer, but he was just a role player during the Finals run.

Defensively? 2009

Offensively? 2011

Talent? 2011

Discipline? 2009

In all honesty though if we were really looking for comparison's last years team remains the most complete and overall talented team the Magic have ever put on the floor.

• Upvote 1