Sign in to follow this  
Catman

Winds of Change could be be blowing with a poor playoff performance

I hesitate in dropping offseason speculation but there is interesting stuff floating around that I thought I would share :

If the Magic continue this mediocrity and play poorly in the playoffs, they plan to speak with Doc Rivers about coming back. Doc has expressed the need to be closer to his family here in Orlando and the Magic believe shaking things up with a title winning coach could keep Dwight here. If doc says no, SVG is not going anywhere, so please do not think SVG will be fired for some random HC.

Pending a CBA (cross your fingers) the Magic will aggressively attempt to bring Fran over. As much as many of us dismiss the guy, he would allow the Magic to explore trades involving Bass and Anderson.

But potentially bringing Doc over would signify a change in the Magic's 4 out 1 in Philosophy. I would have to think that Doc would demand some control over the trades made and would instill an offense less based on the 3.

Doc was criticized a lot before getting 3 stars on his team. That being said he is still winning with TT gone to Chi town and seems to be more of a player's coach. Would you support a move like this if it meant keeping Dwight?

I would support anything if it meant keeping Dwight but....I don't see how Doc would improve the team. I think Doc has a team full of guys that don't require any policing. Like you said Doc wasn't exactly coach of the year prior to getting KG and Ray, I also have yet to see Doc maximize talent with any player he has had, something Stan has done every where he's been.

Boston fans (notably Bill Simmons) doesn't think Doc is all that great of a coach. He's a good manager of egos for the Celtics but has generally failed to coach players up above their talent level. Doc reminds me a lot of Flip Saunders with the Pistons. By the time Saunders became coach the Pistons basically coached themselves.

• Upvote 1

Doc is the ideal CEO coach as long as he has a strong X's & O's lead assistant like Thibideau or Frank next to him. Doc was a mess as a coach and would have gone nowhere with big 3 w/o Thibideau. Bird was very similiar in his partnership with Carlisle. To an extent Tex Winters was that for Phil Jackson as well.

I like SVG, but I would welcome anybody who came in here, and exiled every player who is soft and can't defend like Daly did. I would welcome more of a traditional style of play that would build on Dwight's strength's rather than rely completely on them to carry the entire team.

Hell, if we're going to bring Doc back let's just give Johnny Davis a call as well.

Doc as HC + Johnny D as AC=RINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<_<

Wasn't Doc talking about quitting last season? If he wants to spend time with hes family it doesn't matter where he coaches because as long as he is coach he really wont have much time.

Yeah it is tough to even post this discussion because SVG is our best coach ever. He did get himself in some hot water with his comments about Stern as well. The concern is not how great SVG is at coaching, but if the players are going to stop listening and get burnt out. A lot of the NBA as we know is player ego management.

Yeah it is tough to even post this discussion because SVG is our best coach ever. He did get himself in some hot water with his comments about Stern as well. The concern is not how great SVG is at coaching, but if the players are going to stop listening and get burnt out. A lot of the NBA as we know is player ego management.

That would be the only reason I could see to change him out, if the players are tuning him out. If they are, they are dumb, just about every one of them has improved under him.

Stan is a hell of a coach. Doc is a great motivator. Dwight has progressed to a point that he might need motivation more than coaching, but what about the rest of the team?

If it was the only way to keep Dwight, then yeah, you do what you need to do, but that's the only reason I would ship out SVG for Doc at this point.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1