Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Arenas showing signs of life ??? (links)

Ruh roh. I didn't see the game last night, but 0-6 is rough for any standard of basketball.

Like I said, he's the same as he was in the beginning of our trade. Here's to hoping that he reacquires a modicum of the quickness he once had.

Also, Dwight with 9 turnovers? Wow.

Ruh roh. I didn't see the game last night, but 0-6 is rough for any standard of basketball.

Like I said, he's the same as he was in the beginning of our trade. Here's to hoping that he reacquires a modicum of the quickness he once had.

Also, Dwight with 9 turnovers? Wow.

averaging 3.5pg...as much as Dwight has surged this season his turnover problems have gotten that much worse it seems.

averaging 3.5pg...as much as Dwight has surged this season his turnover problems have gotten that much worse it seems.

His passing game is undoubtedly the next step of his development. I guess he could build on some of his pick and roll game, too, but that's not the greatest concern.

Kobe Bryant averages 2.9 TO's

LeBron James averages 3.6

Dwayne Wade averages 3.2 (down from 3.7 for his career)

Derrick Rose averages 3.5

Dwight is averaging 0.2 turnovers more per game than last season, while scoring over 4.5 more points per game; his turnover problems have hardly gotten MUCH worse. Considering how often Dwight gets the ball, and factoring in 3 second violations, his turnover numbers are pretty average.

he really needs to work on passing it out of double teams and forced shot situations.

of all the things we could hypothesize about Dwight working on, really, I'd just like to see him go to work much faster once he gets the ball. He does a great job now of lulling the defense and it works, most of the time, but adding some split second catch and moves would throw the D for a loop and could cut down on some of those TO's.

even with his missteps, I still love him for who he is though - guy is having such a phenomenal year.

• Upvote 1

That 4th quarter hook shot that banged off the side of the backboard was a sign of something I suppose.

of all the things we could hypothesize about Dwight working on, really, I'd just like to see him go to work much faster once he gets the ball. He does a great job now of lulling the defense and it works, most of the time, but adding some split second catch and moves would throw the D for a loop and could cut down on some of those TO's.

even with his missteps, I still love him for who he is though - guy is having such a phenomenal year.

yeah, thats what i was thinking last night. A Dwight with 9 turnovers still has enough positive impact on the game to not hurt us.

We don’t often get preachy here on the Magic BasketBlog, but today we have a lesson for all the kids and aspiring writers out there: In today’s instant world, don’t work ahead. It only increases the chances that your work will go to waste.

Example: With some free time last night, I began work on an article breaking down Gilbert Arenas’ strong performance over the past two weeks. His play had improved after a terrible stretch in February, and Arenas was shooting 43.3 percent from three-point range over his last seven games. It was going to be a positive Arenas piece, a change of pace from the constant Arenas-bashing that occurs on Magic message boards, chats and blogs.

And then Arenas played perhaps his worst game in a Magic uniform last night against the Lakers, going 0-for-6 from the field, scoring no points and committing several defensive lapses that led to points for Los Angeles. Sure, it was only one game, but I couldn’t in good conscience write a post praising Arenas’ play after that game. Not today, anyway.

Since his horrid shooting slump in February — a stretch he called the worst of his pro career, in which he went 3-for-38 from three-point range during an 11-game period — Arenas is shooting 41.4 percent from the field and 40.6 percent from three-point range. Those are both very big improvements from his 35 percent overall and 27.1 three-point percentage during his first 31 games with the Magic.

But then, just as it appears Arenas may be turning things around in Orlando, he disappears in a litmus test game against the Lakers.

Magic GM Otis Smith says to give Arenas one summer to get his game back, but the Magic don’t have time for that — they need Arenas to play well now. But they don’t need the Washington Wizards version of Arenas; he doesn’t have to score 28.4 points per game and shoot at a high volume like he did in his last full season with the Wizards back in 2007. He’s clearly in no physical condition for that, lacking the lift and explosiveness that defined his game earlier in the decade.

Instead, the Magic just need Arenas to be steady — take the shots that are there, probe the opposing defense in transition and avoid being a liability on defense.

And, perhaps most importantly, he must avoid going 0-for-the-night as he did against the Lakers last night, the Bulls on March 4 and the Celtics on Feb. 6. He went a combined 0-for-18 on those three games, scoring three points in a little more than three minutes. If he can avoid those games where his confidence wavers early and he never finds his stroke, Arenas can be one of the league’s best backup point guards. And right now, that’s all the Magic need him to be.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_magic/2011/03/gilbert-arenas-play-improving-but-still-plagued-by-inconsistency.html

• Upvote 1

scoring no points and committing several defensive lapses that led to points for Los Angeles

probably because he was too hungover from last (sunday) night's $40,000 alcohol spree. Damn, must have been some good stuff!