Sign in to follow this  
Chase

Official All-Star Weekend Rookie/Sophomore, Skills Challenge, and All-Star Game Thread

not a huge fan of this all star game. didn't like the kobe/durant vs Lebron/Amar'e game. I want to see more dunks, more fun, more crazy passing. It sucks to see lebron put his head down at half court and drive to the basket.

and chase, Dwight didn't play a pass first game, he played an "i dont care" game. He put some effort in early but when it turned into the guard game he often didn't jog past half court.

The west had a lot to do with that. The east were doing the right thing by not playing defense but the west weren't and thats what made the first half hard to watch for me. Durant got everything easy. He was left wide open the whole time. Basically our reserves couldn't keep us in the game.

Also, with over 270 possessions (shot attempts + turnovers) its not a big deal that Lebron got a triple double (for reference the Dallas-Phoenix game last week was 190 posessions). I'm really surprised that there haven't been more triple doubles in the all star game. A triple double in an all star game is like a triple double after 6 quarters in a regular game when you account for pacing.

I thought the entertainment value wasn't as good as last year in Dallas. At least it wasn't a complete let down for the East but still....most of the game was all the West dominating. Hopefully, next year in Orlando it regains itself!

Honestly I can understand also why Howard was playing like he was. He wasn't playing the I dont care game all the time. He ran the court just to see players to play the ball around him. I dont know if C's or Heat is sore for the lost games but it seemed like they didn't want to pass the ball to Howard and after Howard realised that he didn't even try to play anymore.

All in all, it looked like west didn't care who to pass the ball and who is going to be MVP, they were there to have fun. East was complete opposite. C's wanted to play their own game(doc even put all four to the game same time..) and Lebron had the whole solo game going on.

I disagree about the fact that West was playing "too much" defence, they were just picking sloppy passes and doing something other than just standing around.

Honestly I can understand also why Howard was playing like he was. He wasn't playing the I dont care game all the time. He ran the court just to see players to play the ball around him. I dont know if C's or Heat is sore for the lost games but it seemed like they didn't want to pass the ball to Howard and after Howard realised that he didn't even try to play anymore.

All in all, it looked like west didn't care who to pass the ball and who is going to be MVP, they were there to have fun. East was complete opposite. C's wanted to play their own game(doc even put all four to the game same time..) and Lebron had the whole solo game going on.

I disagree about the fact that West was playing "too much" defence, they were just picking sloppy passes and doing something other than just standing around.

I have deja vu every time I see one of your posts...

Why is that...?

The all-star game has become a joke for me. The rookie-sophomore game was much more

entertaining.

If this is supposed to be like a playoff/finals game:

-- Then why do coaching means zero and there are no set plays and defense?

Ok, it's just for entertainment:

-- Then why do players take quick-selfish jumpshots instead of trying to put on a Harlem-style

show? The fans don't want to see Kobe/Durant/Wade/Lebron take a billion jump shots.

Is it my bad memory, or did the all-star game in the 80s-90s used to be where you would see

the sickest dunks and plays?

They gave Howard all that publicity roles, and a mike in the game - but he touched the ball 5 times

on offense. WTF??

And PLEASE get rid of fan voting in the slam dunk contest. It becomes a popularity contest

instead of skill. I bet if Justin Bieber was in the dunk contest he would win.

Also, instead of 2 minute per dunk, put a limit on the attempts - 6 or something.

Finally, I have been really annoyed by Kenny Smith's constant yapping at the dunk contest. ****.

It was a mostly lame all-star weekend overall, the highlights were the TNT fantasy pick show,

celebrity game, and rook-soph game. Pippen is balling man, let's sign him. Rose and Mullin - stick to ESPN.

The all-star game has become a joke for me. The rookie-sophomore game was much more

entertaining.

-- Then why do players take quick-selfish jumpshots instead of trying to put on a Harlem-style

show? The fans don't want to see Kobe/Durant/Wade/Lebron take a billion jump shots.

Is it my bad memory, or did the all-star game in the 80s-90s used to be where you would see

They gave Howard all that publicity roles, and a mike in the game - but he touched the ball 5 times

on offense. WTF??

And PLEASE get rid of fan voting in the slam dunk contest. It becomes a popularity contest

Also, instead of 2 minute per dunk, put a limit on the attempts - 6 or something.

Finally, I have been really annoyed by Kenny Smith's constant yapping at the dunk contest. ****.

It was a mostly lame all-star weekend overall, the highlights were the TNT fantasy pick show,

celebrity game, and rook-soph game. Pippen is balling man, let's sign him. Rose and Mullin - stick to ESPN.

yeah, the all star game was entertaining up until this year. I don't mind Dwight not getting touches, as soon as he was in with the boston 4 and they started running their offense then he mailed it in, but I hate seeing Lebron just put his head down and get to the basket. At least Kobe passed the ball around, got it back, then made an athletic play. It's not just that I hate Lebron either. I love durant and his play was annoying to watch. He cherrypicked 5 or 6 times.

And I did what to you?

Making random jokes about players sexually assaulting little kids isn't enough?

entertaining.

on offense. WTF??

I missed most of the weekend by choice and having better stuff to do. I did watch the game last night but only 3 quarters of it. It bored the heck out of me to the point I didn't care what happened in the 4th. It was like watching the Magic when they go into 3 point happy mode and can't hit a shot. The 90's was awesome for all star game. Tons of great no look passes, dunks and one particular play off the top of my head is when Shaq caught a bounce pass from GHill which resulted DRob's arse on a cameraman after getting the most posterized of all posterizations.

Never again should 4 players from one team should be in the all star game. Pick at the most, 2 best players from that team, and thats it.

The all-star game really got me mad; to clarify, Lebron James really got me mad. Dude ball hogs every freaking all-star game in hopes of being the MVP. I'm sure that the best players in the league really enjoy being treated like the Cleveland Cavaliers who were content to stand around and watch Lebron. I'm not only frustrated as a Dwight fan, but I feel bad for all the other fans around the league who wanted to see a player not named Lebron showcase their talents.

I think the East has definitely had more talent and superstars the past few all-star games, but it's seriously every man for himself out there because of Lebron and probably Wade. You can't afford to pass the ball or you won't get a single shot in.

Lastly, shame on Doc Rivers. Pretty sure he played Lebron the entire second half. Maybe Pierce and KG need their rest and Wade is as tough as an eggshell, but you've got a roster of 12 guys so spread the love a little bit, even if they are losing. Also, how about you recognize that Dwight got more votes than anybody in the East so quit subbing him out for Chris Bosh who shouldn't have even been in the game based on his regular season so far.

It was actually a good competitive game with defense actually being played from the very start (definitely less alley oops in the first half of this game then I've ever seen) but Lebron's play and Doc's substitutions really ruined it for me. I realize that Dwight doesn't have mad handles and passing skills so he's going to be limited in a game like this, but Lebron literally limited everyone on the team because he wanted to be MVP. Ridiculous.

/vent.

• Upvote 1

I agree on Lebron taking away opportunities from the other guys but hell if he was going to play a 4th quarter like that then come out and show up Kobe in the 1st as well. The West definitely came out just to have fun but also played some nice looking basketball as professionals and the best of the best. The East has the talent but looked as they lacked the chemistry. I didn't think Kobe had 21 at the half the way they all took some turns scoring the ball.

I thought the East would get out and run more efficiently which would help Dwight get a few nasty dunks in transition but he ended up getting one from Amar'e the whole game. Notice when the Boston four came in the lead for the West took off as well and Dwight immediately became ghost. I know most of us here was rooting for our big fella but next year he's going to be in the spotlight on All-Star weekend as its coming back to the 407.