Sign in to follow this  
the notorious S.A.C.

Does Otis need to be fired? Revisited!!!! You know you missed it!

77 members have voted

1. 1. Does Otis need to be fired?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes...Ive now changed my mind and see the light!

Being taller or typical size for a PG does however give you the ABILITY to do things defensively that Jameer can't... like contest jumpshots against taller opponents...and regardless.... Curry is light years better offensively..... I know Nash plays bad defense... but he makes up for it on the other end.... and there's a reason the rest of those guys weren't on my list....Slightly better than terrible is still awful...Jameer isn't good defensively... he doesn't really create well for others and run the offense well....he never has... its mainly why Turk was so successful during his stint here..he got to be the Point Forward...the creator that Nelson has never been....Regardless, Otis will be here through Dwight's FA year but I have a feeling that it'll have to come to clearing out cap space to sign a Deron/Paul type PG... because this team isn't better than Boston or Miami....arguably Chicago, Atlanta, and Knicks after they get Melo...

It's not "slightly better", there's actually a huge gap between Nelson's defense and that of guys like Bibby, Mo Williams, Nash, and Curry.

As far as running an offense, Orlando was the league's 2nd best offense last year with Nelson as the. . . well, only facilitator. Not only that but having a pretty good year this year playing less than 30 minutes a game and still averaging nearly 6 assists, and it's doing that while being sometimes the 3rd and 4th option on an offense that actually does NOT reward a lot of assists for any single player (i'd say half of Nelson's kick outs end up as hockey assists).

And again, being taller doesn't make them better defenders. it doesn't matter that they [i[could[/i] contest shots a bit better, their lack of discipline, lateral quickness, and flat out bad fundamentals all while not giving much effort all negate any "positives" they might have just because they're taller.

Hell, Chuck Hayes is 6'7 and one of the better defenders at the C position. . . in the league.

1296684092617.jpg?1296685872

he can create. he's having a career year for assists in only 29 mpg.

You use the term "career year" quite loosely... he's averaged one more assist per game....and he played 28 minutes per game last year...31 the year before that and 28 the year before that... it's not as if he's playing alot less time or anything haha....

It's not "slightly better", there's actually a huge gap between Nelson's defense and that of guys like Bibby, Mo Williams, Nash, and Curry.

Nash is 100x the offensive player he is... that gap is so wide that they aren't even in the same league of PG's....Nelsons defense is NOT GOOD... no matter how much you convince yourself he's better than those guys.... his defense is still pretty terrible....

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You use the term "career year" quite loosely... he's averaged one more assist per game....and he played 28 minutes per game last year...31 the year before that and 28 the year before that... it's not as if he's playing alot less time or anything haha....

That's a 20.4% increase in production. Nelson has 7.8 assists/36 minutes. Rose has 7.8/36; Conley 6.9/36; Parker 7.4/36;

Nash is 100x the offensive player he is... that gap is so wide that they aren't even in the same league of PG's....Nelsons defense is NOT GOOD... no matter how much you convince yourself he's better than those guys.... his defense is still pretty terrible....

I don't need to convince myself. I have yet to say that his defense is good (although some aspects of it are good, overall it's average). I'm beginning to wonder if you've actually watched any other teams in the NBA. . .

hell, for how bad Jameer is and how awful he is at contesting, players sure do miss more often than not when they face the Magic

jameercontest1.jpg

jameercontest1.jpg

jameercontest3.jpg

jameercontest4.jpg

it's okay though, you can continue to pretend you know what you're saying. . . judging by some of these posts I wouldn't past you to call Thabeet a defensive beast just because he's,you know. . . really tall and stuff

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I don't need to convince myself. I have yet to say that his defense is good (although some aspects of it are good, overall it's average). I'm beginning to wonder if you've actually watched any other teams in the NBA. . .

hell, for how bad Jameer is and how awful he is at contesting, players sure do miss more often than not when they face the Magic

it's okay though, you can continue to pretend you know what you're saying. . . judging by some of these posts I wouldn't past you to call Thabeet a defensive beast just because he's,you know. . . really tall and stuff

Hmm.... good stats you presented....I can admit those are nice and contradict my claims......even though that could potentially be misleading as if someone helps Jameer on defense and his man scores its not really gonna show up in the statbook...... anyways, he still don't pass the eye test for me and he got dominated yesterday by Rondo and that's who we'll have to get by to play in the Finals... soooo you can stick with your stats that Jameer is good when Dwight's playing in LA or elsewhere in 2013 haha....or maybe I'm just bitter over this awful defense:

No reason to be playing that far off of Derek Fisher... If he makes a two we're still up one... And then trapping Kobe? I mean what's he gonna do make it more difficult for him to pass it out for the easy wide open 3 point shot haha Regardless, we will never win a ship with Jameer Nelson as our starting PG unless we have a Kobe/Wade/Lebron type player to pair him with and we don't....I'd love to be wrong but I don't think I will be...

I'm not even gonna comment on Hasheem Thabeet comment... he was known as a shotblocker in college but can't say I've seen him play much since then lol....

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Your best argument is a clip of a mistake Jameer made in his 4th game back after being sidelined for half a regular season and 3 playoff rounds? Really?

Regardless, we will never win a ship with Jameer Nelson as our starting PG unless we have a Kobe/Wade/Lebron type player to pair him with and we don't....I'd love to be wrong but I don't think I will be...

So it's safe the say the Magic will never win anything with Howard as the 1st option as long as Jameer is on the team? I'm not sure whether to laugh or. . . nah I have a better idea, Thuglife

I too have a soft spot for Jameer after his All-Star year, but I just can't keep trying to believe that he will be the old Jameer again.

He's mentally weak, not aggressive anymore, and his shooting ability from 2 years ago is gone. He can't seem to finish at the hole either against good defensive teams.

Im honestly out of ideas; we can't start Gil because he's infinitely worse right now. And there aren't many PG's that are available that would be an upgrade to him.

Maybe we should just change the strategy on how to use him? Let Hedo take care of most of the ball handling, and let Jameer play off the ball. He's still a decent shooter so that might help him get into rhythm. I've seen them try it before, and it seemed to work pretty decently. I just think they should use it more.

I voted no as I am unsure who would replace him if he was fired and what that person would bring. Otis might not have made the best decisions (Arenas) at times but Magic could get someone in to replace him who could be a whole lot worse.

I think DeVos can take until end of the 2012 Playoffs to decide. We still haven't been eliminated (although you would think we are already), theres a lot to play for still.

But, as currently constructed, this team does not show much promise for the future.

I am still confident that JRich and Hedo will be important come playoffs time. But the defense sucks now, and the bench is thinner than before.

First off let me state that I am in no way happy with how we are playing. Very disappointing. However when Otis made the moves he received nothing but accolades on these boards and then during the winning streak he was the best GM in the world. I give him credit for getting rid of dead weight and a t least doing something. . I do believe it is Stan's slow, moronic, boring system and I can only hope that we will turn it around. We will see what happens.

First off let me state that I am in no way happy with how we are playing. Very disappointing. However when Otis made the moves he received nothing but accolades on these boards and then during the winning streak he was the best GM in the world. I give him credit for getting rid of dead weight and a t least doing something. . I do believe it is Stan's slow, moronic, boring system and I can only hope that we will turn it around. We will see what happens.

A majority of posters on here sway game-by-game. If we lose, they call for Otis's head, If we win, they praise him.

Like I have said before, I will stay on the fence and judge all of these moves later.