Sign in to follow this  
the notorious S.A.C.

Does Otis need to be fired? Revisited!!!! You know you missed it!

77 members have voted

1. 1. Does Otis need to be fired?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes...Ive now changed my mind and see the light!

Why do you guys think we've never had any serious talk of aquiring a second elite player?

You don't consider Chris Paul or Steve Nash elite players?

With that being said, you, nor I, have any idea what goes on within the organization, so let's not act like we have a written record of Otis' phone calls to other GM's.

The offense has a lot to do with the players though. There are plays to be made but guys just fail to make it for whatever reason. Like that one where Dwight was all alone in the paint and JJ just passed to someone outside the 3. I saw cuts but passes weren't made. Who do you see being that person who drives to the rim?

This current slump is as much Otis' fault as it is Dwight's, meaning, next to none. Neither of these two have any bearing on whether our perimeter shooters feel like making plays/making shots. If anyone, ANYONE has to be held accountable for something, it's SVG on his offensive gameplan. It sounds silly to criticize a gameplan that has netted us 202 wins in just three-and-a-half seasons, but seasoned defensive teams like Boston know exactly how to take us out of any offensive flow, partly because our plays seem telegraphed. Go to Dwight, swing the ball around the perimeter, drive-kick, and...that's pretty much it.

As far as I've seen, there's no interior passing, or passing within the three-point arc in general. There are no cuts, no high-low passes, no hard takes to the basket outside of Dwight, and no semblance of a mobile offense. It's "stand around, watch Dwight, and wait for your shot". On any given possession, Boston sets at least 3-4 screens to free up Allen, Pierce, Rondo, and even Garnett. These screens take place around the three-point arc, the key, and at times near the baseline. Whenever we set a screen, it's at the three-point arc, and not shockingly, 9/10 of those possessions end up becoming kick-out passes intended to reset the offense as a result of Boston trapping the ball-handler well outside the paint.

Defensively, it's the opposite. If there's one person that can't possibly be held accounted for, it's Stan. Players don't botch defensive assignments because of him. Jameer/Gil/Jrich/Turk need to shoulder all the blame for defensive issues. The Celtics managed to turn a 24% 1st quarter into a 48% team shooting night. That means Boston shot 56% for the remainder of the ball game. That's inexcusable. The Celtics are the NBA's #1 team in offensive efficiency at 50%, but this had (or should have had) all the makings of a poor shooting night for them.

I agree, especially about the offense. I REALLY want to see more cuts to the basket and passes in the paint. It doesn't help that we have very few decent passers though.

Did 9 people really vote "Yes"?

I mean What!?

ChipperJones.gif

103tok7.jpg

2jbmjoh.gif

UH WHY NOT VOTE YES??? He has failed to surround Dwight with a championship team....It wasn't for lack of trying but I don't think we give our participation trophies for GM's....The Arenas, Turk, Jrich, Clark trades were his make or break... assuming he don't make any more trades....

UH WHY NOT VOTE YES??? He has failed to surround Dwight with a championship team....It wasn't for lack of trying but I don't think we give our participation trophies for GM's....The Arenas, Turk, Jrich, Clark trades were his make or break... assuming he don't make any more trades....

22.jpg?1295837070

22.jpg?1295837070

Not really sure what your point is with that picture.. I assume you think what I said was dumb.... Otis has made MANY mistakes.... Only person more hyped on the Orlando Magic than Jameer Nelson is Otis Smith... I don't know a person who thinks we couldve won a ship with Jameer yet he's been our starting PG for years....

Howard evidently is willing to be patient. A free agent in 2012 along with the Hornets' Chris Paul, Howard has yet to form a strong opinion one way or the other, according to a person with knowledge of his thinking. Stay or go? To paraphrase LeBron, what should he do? If he does leave, Howard has his eyes on two teams -- the Lakers and Knicks -- as the big-market destinations where he'll chase down his championships and marketing opportunities if things don't work out in the Sunshine State. The Nets, who are supposed to be in Brooklyn by then, also are in the mix, the person said.

So the Magic are on the clock -- the way the Cavs were with LeBron and the Raptors with Chris Bosh, and the way the bill has come due for the Nuggets and Carmelo Anthony. But if you ask Magic GM Otis Smith -- and I did -- there isn't some knee-jerk plan to deal with Howard's future. Smith has been planning for the next year and a half for the past seven years.

"He's been a free agent since he’s been here," Smith said. "Meaning I'm not going to wait until he's a free agent to become worried about free agency. Who are we kidding? When you have one of the top five players in this league, you're always trying to retain him, I don't care who you are. So there's nothing I would do differently. Nothing. Zero. I've pretty much done it for seven years, since he was a rookie."

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/14655536/magics-troubling-questions-surround-futures-of-howard-arenas

It never ends.

Honestly, I know I'm not the brightest crayon in the box but after seeing and reading what some of you are saying makes me fear for the future of this board.

If we fired Otis then who do you want to be GM?

Dwight and Otis are tight. Get rid of Otis and Dwight will deffinitely sign the extension. :rolleyes:

Imo (If it means anything) We're just going to ride out this Season and do a huge overhaul this offseason. Overhaul meaning bringing in another All-Star. That might be a PG or a SG but I've been saying this for awhile now that we need a 1-2 punch. Every Championship team has one except us. We have Dwight and a bunch of role players.

But that will be taken care of in time. If it's not this year then so be it, but have some damn patience.

You guys are willing to do a knee jerk reactiong which will hurt in the future rather then just going through the rough patch now

and fixing our future.