Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Heat's pointless line-up is a scary thing for Magic

Back in September, before the Orlando Magic had even began training camp, I wrote a blog post wondering what the Magic would do if the Miami Heat rolled out a backcourt featuring LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Mike Miller. Defensively, Wade is smart and agile enough to defend opposing point guards. And that trio could, with its mix of size, athleticism and offensive skill, provide a slew of matchup problems for opposing defenses.

That mismatch may be even bigger when the Heat are playing the Magic because of Jameer Nelson’s diminutive size, as it’s difficult to fathom Nelson guarding anyone in that Heat lineup. He’s not guarding James, obviously. Mike Miller is a 6-foot-8 shooter, and a the 6-foot Nelson wouldn’t provide much resistance closing out on Miller’s outside jumper. And Wade is too big and too skilled for Nelson to contend with in an isolation set.

Because of injuries to Miller and Wade, the Heat didn’t tool with this lineup for the season’s first few months. This Sunday against the Oklahoma City Thunder, however, the Heat debuted it, playing James, Wade, Miller and Chris Bosh together for the first time all season. The results were, if you’re a Magic or Celtics fan, a bit scary.

According to Kevin Arnovitz of ESPN.com, the Heat’s point-less lineup scored on six of its first seven possessions and went plus-6 in its first four minutes playing together.

For more and possible solutions go here :

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_magic/2011/02/miami-heats-point-less-lineup-is-a-scary-thing-for-orlando-magic.html

Go Magic !!!....Beat The Heat !!!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

And that was the unit’s first time on the floor together, playing the Thunder, one of the NBA’s best and most cohesive teams.

closecomp1.gif

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

They might be more cohesive than us though.

I'm not sure if the Heat's impressive offensive numbers are something to be worth of extra praise against the 16th best defense in the league, the same defense of the team the author calls one of the best in the league and most cohesive. . .

and as far as how more "cohesive" the Thunder are than the Magic, the new Magic team is 15-8 (.652)

The Thunder - a team that has been together for nearly 3 years now (as far as their core of Durant/Westbrook/Green with Thabo, Nenad, and Collison), and almost 2 years if you add Harden - posted a record of 14-9 (.609) in their last 23 and have a record of 30-17 (.638)

yeah yeah yeah, I try too hard

But he isn’t sure Nelson would have a place to play against this lineup.

“Teams with smaller point guards, such as Orlando, could have a difficult time defending this lineup,” Richardson wrote in an email. “Not sure Jameer Nelson could handle defending Wade on the perimeter or Mike Miller in the post. It’s going to take size and speed to have any chance of slowing them.”

*--Shandel Richardson, Winderman’s colleague on the Heat beat at the Sun Sentinel and someone who watches the Heat as much as anyone

Here is the deal. Jameer will get torched, and he will turn the ball over. . .a lot, then all the other point guards for the Magic will get blamed for the loss.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 7

I'm not sure if the Heat's impressive offensive numbers are something to be worth of extra praise against the 16th best defense in the league, the same defense of the team the author calls one of the best in the league and most cohesive. . .

and as far as how more "cohesive" the Thunder are than the Magic, the new Magic team is 15-8 (.652)

The Thunder - a team that has been together for nearly 3 years now (as far as their core of Durant/Westbrook/Green with Thabo, Nenad, and Collison), and almost 2 years if you add Harden - posted a record of 14-9 (.609) in their last 23 and have a record of 30-17 (.638)

yeah yeah yeah, I try too hard

No, you really don't.

There could be multiple reasons why they they may have a slightly worse record than us. One, being the fact that they face teams in the West more often than we do (West teams being more overall more talented than the East teams).

I'm not saying they are the most cohesive team in the NBA, but they could be more cohesive than we are, especially since they have been together longer.

Despite being 6-8, I don't think Jameer would have a very tough time guarding Mike Miller at all.

Jameer would most likely be able to play well off the ball, Miller wouldn't post him up, and isn't quick enough to blow by him. The only problem would be Nelson having to help on Wade/LeBron and not having enough length to bother Miller if he has to close him out after a kick out. I really don't think it'd be that great and if the Heat's plan to beat the Magic is to have Mike Miller jack up jumpshots for the entire game, they can go right ahead. . .

Here is the deal. Jameer will get torched, and he will turn the ball over. . .a lot, then all the other point guards for the Magic will get blamed for the loss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITSx50fBHic&autoplay=0

No, you really don't.

There could be multiple reasons why they they may have a slightly worse record than us. One, being the fact that they face teams in the West more often than we do (West teams being more overall more talented than the East teams).

I'm not saying they are the most cohesive team in the NBA, but they could be more cohesive than we are, especially since they have been together longer.

One of them being that they're not that good. . .

the Magic faced 10 teams from the West (out of 23), losing 4 by a combined 14 points, 7 of those points coming from the loss against Dallas (the team's 2nd game together with no practice on a back to back). 3 of those losses were by a combined 7 points. . . 3 possessions. . .

now, it's obviously a really small sample size, but the Magic's 10-4 (.714) record against the West > Thunder's 16-12 (.571)

it is a small sample size, but then again, we're talking about a team that has played 23 games together as of right now and a team that has had nearly 3 years of playing time and practice together. . .