Sign in to follow this  
Dan Savage

Have Otis Smith Answer Your Question

Orlando(Las Vegas)

2 part question:

What do you make of the recent criticism by some fans of Jameer Nelson since bringing in Arenas? Where does he stand in your mind in being able to lead this team to a championship?

Otis,

We all know you won't be in this job forever. So, what is the most likely scenario that draws you away from GM of the Orlando Magic?

A. An organization offering a higher salary.

B. An organization that is an established winner that only needs to be maintained to be championship-caliber. (i.e. Boston, Miami, LAL, etc.)

C. An organization that is going nowhere fast and is in real need of a turnaround. (A challenge you would want to take on, perhaps?)

D. Death.

- Jason (D.C.)

• Downvote 2

Hey Otis, greetings and best wishes from Greece.

Thank you for the two great trades :D

1. How high do you rate as a factor for success a team's effort level/hustle on the basketball court? When populating your roster or transfer list, in that context, do you and Stan consider such "soft skills" or do you pretty much stick with the stats and physical fundamentals of a player?

2. Of course, we fans "BELIEVE IN MAGIC". Every night that we see Blue and White, we pretty much feel like we've the Dream Team and we can beat anybody! But how about our players? It is a matter of fact that the majority of athletes are young guys and as such, the way they "perceive" things can heavily affect the actual way things turn out at the end of the day. Norman Mailer wrote in "The Fight" that the primary function of a boxer's gymnasium is to strengthen his ego, not his muscles. Is the front office (as in "setting the tone at the top") working along such lines? Are our guys confident that they're good enough to beat everybody?

Thanks for your time!

ps. Naturally, if you'd consider Kosta Koufos for a C bench spot, we'd dig it over here :D

Peter, Athens (GR).

Honestly, I don't think this is a bad question or even something I wouldn't want to know, but I think it'd be better if Otis didn't have to answer whether or not he and the coach were saying those things as a way to trick/brainwash Howard.

The simply ask him the first part of the question. Yeah maybe it'd be stupid to admit any kind of mind games to the media but I think it'd be interesting to hear the truth, I also think there's a good chance I'm looking too much into all of this :)

Slacker, (Orlando)

Otis, can I have some money to fund a web series I'm producing here locally?

Thanks.

REAL QUESTION:

Frank, (Orlando)

Otis,

I started having that special feeling in my gut once we rattled off nine straight wins (the same feeling from '09). That feeling has subsided a bit. In your mind, especially in the playoffs, do you think this team, without a quality backup big-man, can play at the same level, an up and down pace, and win? It never worked with PHX...

Mauro - Lisbon, Portugal

Hey Otis, I love you

1 - Do you think the NBA should have more afternoon games so that people in Europe would watch them without walking like zombies for the rest of the day?

2 - Is there a chance you sign VC again next season?

3 - What do you think of this team? :)

LET'S GO MAGIC

Which number will Melo wear since Turk is 15?