Sign in to follow this  
AddiFB

Questions for Orlando residents

Ok guys..

I'm gonna turn 30 next February, on the 17th to be exact. Michael Jordan and I both cut cakes on that day. Paris Hilton too, hmm.. So I decided to spend some dough and bought myself and my fam a trip to Orlando... oh and some tix to some Magic games. No big games, just the Wiz (SHARD!) and Sactown (eh).. All I care about is finally going to Orlando and see the Magic play at home.

Took twenty years of dreaming and failed attempts, but I'm coming. Finally. Will be in O-town for 2 weeks.

Cool thing is, at the Wiz game on the 16th... game starts at 7, and since Iceland is 5 hours ahead... I'll turn 30 at tip-off! Ding ding ding release the balloons! I'm expecting Dwight to sing me the birthday song and SVG to run up the stairs with a huge cake. Basic stuff.

Ah, yes... Questions.

1. Are taxis expensive there or should I go on with my plan on renting a car? Going about in a taxi vs. rental?

2. Is there a Best Buy store at the arrival terminal at Sanford airport? Thinking about buying a GPS gizmothing in the States, so if I'm renting a car, the gizmo might come in handy from day one.

3. What places do you recommend checking out? Fam wants to see Universal Studios, Disney, Florida Mall, Mall at Millenia. All I'm focused on is that thing with the big ol' scoreboard, House of Stuff.

4. What kind of weather can I expect in February?

5. Are there some chunky spiders or some nasty bugs jumping around at that time? I got aracnophobia! :panicworker:

6. Am I in danger of running into Jareth Cutestory at Disney and having this awkward conversation about something I don't understand?

7. Anything you'd like to point out, advice or other recommendations?

In advance, thanks!

Ok guys..

I'm gonna turn 30 next February, on the 17th to be exact. Michael Jordan and I both cut cakes on that day. Paris Hilton too, hmm.. So I decided to spend some dough and bought myself and my fam a trip to Orlando... oh and some tix to some Magic games. No big games, just the Wiz (SHARD!) and Sactown (eh).. All I care about is finally going to Orlando and see the Magic play at home.

Took twenty years of dreaming and failed attempts, but I'm coming. Finally. Will be in O-town for 2 weeks.

Cool thing is, at the Wiz game on the 16th... game starts at 7, and since Iceland is 5 hours ahead... I'll turn 30 at tip-off! Ding ding ding release the balloons! I'm expecting Dwight to sing me the birthday song and SVG to run up the stairs with a huge cake. Basic stuff.

Ah, yes... Questions.

1. Are taxis expensive there or should I go on with my plan on renting a car? Going about in a taxi vs. rental?

Rent a car

2. Is there a Best Buy store at the arrival terminal at Sanford airport? Thinking about buying a GPS gizmothing in the States, so if I'm renting a car, the gizmo might come in handy from day one.

Don't think so.

3. What places do you recommend checking out? Fam wants to see Universal Studios, Disney, Florida Mall, Mall at Millenia. All I'm focused on is that thing with the big ol' scoreboard, House of Stuff.

Hooters

4. What kind of weather can I expect in February?

On cold days 40-50 on warmer days 60-70

5. Are there some chunky spiders or some nasty bugs jumping around at that time? I got aracnophobia! :panicworker:

Yes

6. Am I in danger of running into Jareth Cutestory at Disney and having this awkward conversation about something I don't understand?

No because I hate you jerkface :svgsad:

7. Anything you'd like to point out, advice or other recommendations?

Don't wear flip flops and socks

In advance, thanks!

Have fun on your trip! I would be sure to get lots of quarters when you land because if you're renting a vehicle you are going to be needing them for tollroads. I usually drive into orlando, but the time I flew in I forgot to get cash before hitting the road(all tolls pretty much for visitors) and had to scrounge up coins. Euro's come to vacation orlando in the wintertime, and usually find it rather warm but florida has been chilly the past two winters so it is certainly unpredictable. Its better than coming in the summertime, thats for sure! I hated florida in the summer, especially when there were all those wildfires around.

Renting a car would be a lot cheaper than a taxi. Try to get the car with a GPS.

Leave this thread open and bump it if necessary. I'm sure we have a few board member that either work at one of the theme parks or know someone that works there. This people can find out cheaper tickets.

And yeah....don't wear flip flops to the theme park!

What is it with these flip flops and theme parks? hah people stepping on your toes or what?

What is it with these flip flops and theme parks? hah people stepping on your toes or what?

You have to walk way too much and stand in long lines at times. You'll need comfortable shoes!

Jareth simply said don't wear flip flops and socks at the same time because we have many tourist that do that....they look pretty funny.

Having worked Operations and security at Orlando Sanford international I will give you some advice. Do not take a taxi. Way too damn expensive Mears runs most taxi fares in Orlando so there is almost no competition to the keep the prices down like in bigger cities. Rent a car. All the major ones are there, though I personally suggest Budget.

Having worked Operations and security at Orlando Sanford international I will give you some advice. Do not take a taxi. Way too damn expensive Mears runs most taxi fares in Orlando so there is almost no competition to the keep the prices down like in bigger cities. Rent a car. All the major ones are there, though I personally suggest Budget.

Thanks! I was actually going to ask this, what car rentals there are at Sanford. I will most definately go as I planned, rent a car. Some people I know were saying just take a taxi to go around. Didn't sound like a good idea.

Like others have said, I think you can rent a car with a GPS already in it which will save the cost of buying one and a trip to Best Buy where electronics are generally more expensive than you can find them elsewhere.

As far as sites to see, I would take your family into downtown for an afternoon if for no other reason than to walk around Lake Eola (the lake and fountain that they show as a segue into and out of commercials during games). It's a man made lake in the middle of downtown with Orlando's original tourist attraction (the fountain) from the time before Disney.

I'd also suggest a day trip to one of the beaches (even though the water will be cold that time of year) to experience it. The beaches of Florida are extraordinaly wide and long which makes for some spectacular scenery if you get away from the skylines of condos and hotels.

I would avoid the Florida Mall because it's kind of in a rough are of town and is generally packed to the gills. The Millenia Mall has most of the stores that are in Florida plus all of the high end stores. It is also in a not so great part of town but the mall itself is very clean and feels much more secure.

Enjoy your trip and feel free to let me know if you need any help while you're here.