NittanyBuc

Potential Bigs We Can Acquire? (Post-Trade Deadline Edition)

Given that I'm reading Simmons' book right now, I'll pull a Simmons and name this.

I like to call this "The Hughes/Ratliff Theory".

The Ratliff Theory states that a defensive equivalent of an offensive chucker is a player who abandons man to man defense in favor of gambling for steals or roaming for blocks, and that such a player, much like an offensive chucker, will cost their teams just as many games as they help to win.

Players who qualify for the Hughes/Ratliff theory are different from players who fall under the Kidd/Mutombo Principle, which states that dominant help defenders will often end up with high steals or block totals as a byproduct of superior positioning, athleticism and basketball IQ.

I think both(Marc & Alpha) of your posts have good insight and are definitely things to think about.

Given that I'm reading Simmons' book right now, I'll pull a Simmons and name this.

I like to call this "The Hughes/Ratliff Theory".

The Hughes/Ratliff Theory states that a defensive equivalent of an offensive chucker is a player who abandons man to man defense in favor of gambling for steals or roaming for blocks, and that such a player, much like an offensive chucker, will cost their teams just as many games as they help to win.

Players who qualify for the Hughes/Ratliff theory are different from players who fall under the Kidd/Mutombo Principle, which states that dominant help defenders will often end up with high steals or block totals as a byproduct of superior positioning, athleticism and basketball IQ.

you like that book so far?

you like that book so far?

Very much so.

I have a whole mess of problems with his choices for "the pyramid", and he's still a huge Celtics homer which comes through more than it should, but he does a good job of putting 50s and 60s basketball into proper perspective, as well as shining a light on unknown heroes of the NBA, like Danny Biasone, who basically saved the NBA in a way most people wouldn't even consider.

So yeah, my biggest beef is with the pyramid, but overall the book is a well written, intelligent look at the history of the NBA. I'd seriously recommend it to any fan of basketball, and that's about as high a praise as it could earn.

Very much so.

I have a whole mess of problems with his choices for "the pyramid", and he's still a huge Celtics homer which comes through more than it should, but he does a good job of putting 50s and 60s basketball into proper perspective, as well as shining a light on unknown heroes of the NBA, like Danny Biasone, who basically saved the NBA in a way most people wouldn't even consider.

So yeah, my biggest beef is with the pyramid, but overall the book is a well written, intelligent look at the history of the NBA. I'd seriously recommend it to any fan of basketball, and that's about as high a praise as it could earn.

yeah, i liked the idea of the pyramid better than the actual pyramid.

yeah, i liked the idea of the pyramid better than the actual pyramid.

Exactly. A HOF pyramid where players who are more and more elite are differentiated by levels makes a ton of sense.

Robert Horry being a part of that pyramid makes no sense, nor does having Iverson in level 3. And every Celtics player but Bird, Russell and Hondo is a minimum of 10-15 spots too high.

I know people have lost hope on acquiring Camby, but would you like this pair of trades with Portland. BTW J-Rich cannot be traded with an additional player.

Jason Richardson for Marcus Camby

Jameer Nelson & Malik Allen for Andre Miller

Portland needs scoring with B. Roy out, and J-Rich and Jameer can supply that. We also have 2 scoring point guards at the moment -- we can acquire Miller who is a great distributor. This leaves Portland with a thin frontcourt however, with Allen taking the backup center role.

I, personally, would not like the trade from a fan standpoint because Jameer is one of my favorite players. J Rich is a great scoring option for us, he hasn't even gelled with our team yet! But from a managerial perspective, we have needs and this would solve the big problem in our rotation.

What do you think? I think we should keep Jameer because of his leadship combined with his ability to hit big shots. Man, it is a hard decision.

Nelson/Mills

Richardson/Fernandez

Matthews/Batum/Babbitt

Aldridge/Cunningham/Marks

Pryzbilla/Cunningham/Allen/Marks

Injured: Roy

Miller/J Will/Duhon/Arenas

Arenas/Redick/Q

Turkoglu/Q/Afro Samurai

Bass/Anderson/Camby

Howard/Camby

I know people have lost hope on Camby, but would you like this pair of trades with Portland. BTW J-Rich cannot be traded with an additional player.

Jason Richardson for Marcus Camby

Jameer Nelson & Malik Allen for Andre Miller

Portland needs scoring with B. Roy out, and J-Rich and Jameer can supply that. We also have 2 scoring point guards at the moment -- we can acquire Miller who is a great distributor. This leaves Portland with a thin frontcourt however, with Allen taking the backup center role.

I, personally, would not like the trade from a fan standpoint because Jameer is one of my favorite players. J Rich is a great scoring option for us, he hasn't even gelled with our team yet! But from a managerial perspective, we have needs and this would solve the big problem in our rotation.

What do you think?

Honestly?

I think Nelson is a better player than Miller, and I think Richardson is better than Camby. So outside of making us older, I'm not sure what this trade would accomplish on the basketball side of things.

Honestly?

I think Nelson is a better player than Miller, and I think Richardson is better than Camby. So outside of making us older, I'm not sure what this trade would accomplish on the basketball side of things.

Getting us the backup center we need. Not only that, he is a top notch defender so when Dwight is out of the game we still have a shot blocker patrolling the paint.

We have a surplus at the PG position, and Miller wants out of Portland. Jameer for Camby straight up would not happen IMO, so the Miller trade was added and it makes sense.

We had trouble scoring, so we traded for scoring, that fixed the scoring problem, now we want to trade away scoring?

Defense wins championships. Look at the Celts (- rep me if you want, they are atop of the EC). We still have scoring, but less options to go to. We would become more rounded in our game. Sure, games perhaps would be less exciting, but I think the trades would make our team better not in terms of individual players but as a team.

EDIT: Also, trying to make realistic trades here