Sign in to follow this  
Secretly Space Jesus

John Hollinger says acquiring Hedo was a mistake

From Steve Kyler's chat today :

Paul in Gainesville, Fla.:

When the Magic brought Turk back highly respected J. Hollinger said Turk would be nothing more than a small bench upgrade at an expensive price. Did you think the same, Steve? How can you explain his O-Town success again?

Steve Kyler:

John Hollinger is one of the smartest guys I know... so the fact that he read the situation wrong, isn't anything more than mis-reading where Turk was at in his career,

As for Turk's role in the wins... I think his stats speak for themselves... he has been great and I think a big part of it is that he really learned how to take care of his body in Phoenix and he has shed a ton of weight... he's in the best shape of his life and is really playing well.

His success in Orlando is really about Stan Van Gundy letting him handle the ball and create, Toronto and Phoenix were unwilling to do that.

Here is an amusing note... Turk gave up his option year to make the trade from Toronto happen... so as things stand to today, Orlando owes him basically what they offered him... three years $36 million... it just took two years to get here.

Maybe it's time for somebody to man-up ????....Ha-Ha-Ha....

Go TURK !!!!

Go Magic !!!!

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Chat.asp?CHAT_TOPICS_ID=1362

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Before DoM destroys you....

Hedo averaged 19.5/5.5/5 in 07-08. Not sure if you made a typo or not.

What's there for him to destroy? A poster says Hedo put up 18/6/6 in his last year (ok, the numbers were slightly off and he was a year off, he was probably going off of memory and not research). The DoM says Hedo never put up numbers like that and had a big usage rate and he shot bad and he sucks blah blah blah.

Little did DoM know that no, Hedo didn't put up 18/6/6, he in fact put up 20/6/5 (rounding the numbers). While we're at it, Hedo shot 46% from the field and 40% from three, so there goes the bad percentages argument.

Again, this myth that everything DoM posts is gospel is exactly that, a myth. Is he a smart guy? Sure. Does he try too hard sometimes to be "the smart guy"? Absolutely, and sometimes (like right now) it bites him in the ass.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

What's there for him to destroy? A poster says Hedo put up 18/6/6 in his last year (ok, the numbers were slightly off and he was a year off, he was probably going off of memory and not research). The DoM says Hedo never put up numbers like that and had a big usage rate and he shot bad and he sucks blah blah blah.

Little did DoM know that no, Hedo didn't put up 18/6/6, he in fact put up 20/6/5 (rounding the numbers). While we're at it, Hedo shot 46% from the field and 40% from three, so there goes the bad percentages argument.

Again, this myth that everything DoM posts is gospel is exactly that, a myth. Is he a smart guy? Sure. Does he try too hard sometimes to be "the smart guy"? Absolutely, and sometimes (like right now) it bites him in the ass.

What I said was: "In his last year here, he averaged 16.5/5/5 on a monstrous usage rate and horrible percentages."

You'll notice that 2007-2008, when he put up the numbers that you're quoting, was not his last year here. 2008-2009 was.

And I'm not going to argue with you about rounding. 19.5 doesn't equal 20 and 5.5 doesn't equal 6. Just like it wouldn't be true to say that Dwight blocked 3 shots a game last season.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

What I said was: "In his last year here, he averaged 16.5/5/5 on a monstrous usage rate and horrible percentages."

You'll notice that 2007-2008, when he put up the numbers that you're quoting, was not his last year here. 2008-2009 was.

And I'm not going to argue with you about rounding. 19.5 doesn't equal 20 and 5.5 doesn't equal 6. Just like it wouldn't be true to say that Dwight blocked 3 shots a game last season.

I also said the guy was a year off. You said he NEVER put up numbers like that, and he did. Why not round the numbers, everyone does. If LeBron is scoring 29.5 PPG, everyone will say he's scoring 30 a game, because he is. So, because Hedo Turkoglu does it makes it any less? Didn't think so. If you don't want to round at 5 (some don't) then fine, but you can give him the 6 on 5.7.

I also said the guy was a year off. You said he NEVER put up numbers like that, and he did. Why not round the numbers, everyone does. If LeBron is scoring 29.5 PPG, everyone will say he's scoring 30 a game, because he is. So, because Hedo Turkoglu does it makes it any less? Didn't think so. If you don't want to round at 5 (some don't) then fine, but you can give him the 6 on 5.7.

So you're saying that I was wrong because I said his statement, that Hedo put up 18/6/6 in his last year here, was wrong, and that the reason I was wrong is because Hedo put up different numbers in a different season that still don't meet the stated benchmarks that he came up with in the first place?

Am I reading this right?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

So you're saying that I was wrong because I said his statement, that Hedo put up 18/6/6 in his last year here, was wrong, and that the reason I was wrong is because Hedo put up different numbers in a different season that still don't meet the stated benchmarks that he came up with in the first place?

Am I reading this right?

Are you purposely trying to be a dumbass right now because I always say you try too hard to be smart? Forget what year the other guy said, YOU said Hedo NEVER put up those kind of numbers, and he DID. Sorry that he put up two more points and one less assist than what was stated, it wasn't the EXACT same numbers, darn. For my money I'll take 20/6/5 as opposed to 18/6/6.

Are you purposely trying to be a dumbass right now because I always say you try too hard to be smart? Forget what year the other guy said, YOU said Hedo NEVER put up those kind of numbers, and he DID. Sorry that he put up two more points and one less assist than what was stated, it wasn't the EXACT same numbers, darn. For my money I'll take 20/6/5 as opposed to 18/6/6.

Actually, I'd take the 18/6/6. If you think about it, that last assist could be a three, so, statistically speaking, you'll have more point return in that stat-line.

This doesn't really have anything to do with your conversation, but, you know, whatever.

I wasn't aware that Hollinger was allowed to be wrong. So many people on this board take his word as gospel. I mean the Hollinger power rankings don't have us in the Finals, so better luck next year, right?

• Upvote 1

All that's well and good, but given that the statement was "Hedo put up 18/6/6", I said he never did, and he never did, I have to say that, outside of some problem you seem have with me, there isn't really anything you've said in this thread that means anything.

As for 19.5/5.7/5 being better than 18/6/6, that's a valid opinion. But that it's arguably better doesn't mean it's the same, nor does it mean that one can be used interchangeably with the other.

If I say that Player X averaged 23 points and 5 assists, and you say that I'm wrong because he actually averaged 18 points and 15 assists, I'm not right just because 10 extra assists is more valuable than 5 extra points, any more than second baseman who hits .275 could be called a .300 hitter just because he wins a Gold Glove.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I wasn't aware that Hollinger was allowed to be wrong. So many people on this board take his word as gospel. I mean the Hollinger power rankings don't have us in the Finals, so better luck next year, right?

Classic case of "it doesn't mean what you think it means". His power rankings are a snapshot of how teams are performing currently, and have a decent degree of accuracy in predicting the finals at the end of the season, not at the beginning of January.