Sign in to follow this  
Magician09

Ellis to Orlando?

Is Stan's coaching going to cause Ellis to have a growth spurt? He's undersized by 3 inches. That's why he isn't a good defender.

Whats JJ's Excuse then?

How can we have a top tier Defense with a midget at PG?

These things don't make sense to me.

Whats JJ's Excuse then?

We can get away with Jameer playing the point because most point guards aren't looking to post him up very often. Even bigger point guards like Deron Williams and Baron Davis don't do it very often. That being said, I think we can both admit that our defense would be greatly improved if we had a bigger defender at that position.

JJ plays 18 minutes a game against usually favorable matchups. Stan isn't putting JJ on Kobe for 30+ minutes a game. If we acquire Ellis, he's going to start and there will be no hiding him on defense. Ray Allen will be taking breaks from running off of screens to take him in to the post. We will literally have zero defensive length on the perimeter. Challenging shots from the perimeter will be virtually impossible.

Whats JJ's Excuse then?

JJ has the fundamentals and awareness, as well as effort, without the lateral quickness and explosiveness

Ellis has the quickness and explosiveness, but not the fundamentals

both are small

both aren't good defenders.

If anything, it's really a testament to just how good Dwight is defensively.

JJ has the fundamentals and awareness, as well as effort, without the lateral quickness and explosiveness

Ellis has the quickness and explosiveness, but not the fundamentals

both are small

both aren't good defenders.

If anything, it's really a testament to just how good Dwight is defensively.

I agree. It is also a testament of the system SVG built around Dwight. Regardless, I don't worry that much about how good a player is at defense because I have seen what having a beast at C and a schematically sound coach can do. That was my main point. It is more about the system than an individual.

And we beat the Heat with JJ logging 30 plus minutes and beat the Celtics with JJ guarding Ray Allen. So I am sorry if I don't buy into all the stuff Emory is thinking will happen.

I agree. It is also a testament of the system SVG built around Dwight. Regardless, I don't worry that much about how good a player is at defense because I have seen what having a beast at C and a schematically sound coach can do. That was my main point. It is more about the system than an individual.

And we beat the Heat with JJ logging 30 plus minutes and beat the Celtics with JJ guarding Ray Allen. So I am sorry if I don't buy into all the stuff Emory is thinking will happen.

Thing is though. . . Wade was having an awful night as he was prior to that game and a few games after. He hasn't been getting the calls he has always gotten (because he basically just runs into people and throws the ball up for a foul) and that game was no different. . . I wouldn't say JJ played that well defensively and Howard actually wasn't THAT aggressive. It was a mixture of Wade sucking that night and decent team defense.

JJ, however, actually does very well guarding Ray Allen because JJ works hard fighting through screens and Allen himself isn't incredibly quick (at this point in his career) and doesn't take you off the dribble too often, basically a dream matchup for JJ.

Thing is though. . . Wade was having an awful night as he was prior to that game and a few games after. He hasn't been getting the calls he has always gotten (because he basically just runs into people and throws the ball up for a foul) and that game was no different. . . I wouldn't say JJ played that well defensively and Howard actually wasn't THAT aggressive. It was a mixture of Wade sucking that night and decent team defense.

JJ, however, actually does very well guarding Ray Allen because JJ works hard fighting through screens and Allen himself isn't incredibly quick (at this point in his career) and doesn't take you off the dribble too often, basically a dream matchup for JJ.

And that's my point. How many games could we get away with JJ checking Wade for most of the game? Would Ellis do any better?

Look, I realize that our offense needs a boost. I'm not saying that that I'm against acquiring Ellis. I just don't think that Stan's system and Dwight is going to be enough to hide Ellis' deficiencies on the defensive end. The lack of perimeter length can not be hidden for vast stretches of the game.

I'd be happy with Monta here. Not to worried about the height issue. He's only an inch shorter than Wade and Allen. Not to concerned about stopping Kobe either. Its the rest of the team you got to stop from going off. We'll see if this does in fact go down. I have my doubts.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

He's only an inch shorter than Wade and Allen.

Yeah but Ellis' wingspan is average at best while Wade's wingspan is pretty long, Allen is taller.

only on forums can a guy averaging 25ppg be put down for his height. the NBA seriously needs to invest in a "Must be this tall to play" sign.

I think most of the complains about his height have to do with his defense, although his biggest problem defensively right now is not height but effort and fundamentals