Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

J. Will needs a shot at back-up PG job (Schmitz)

I agree with this as well.

However, its not worth burning out J-Will this early in the season if we can try and get Duhon acclimated.

J-Will looked like garbage in the playoffs last year. Let him keep his legs to we can use him on a stretch run.

Touche sir. But IDK that giving him 5-10 min. per game would wear him out so much. He can get in there, run the offense and push the ball...go all out for that 10 then get out.

Touche sir. But IDK that giving him 5-10 min. per game would wear him out so much. He can get in there, run the offense and push the ball...go all out for that 10 then get out.

Do you think that playing J-Will 5-10 minutes per game in meaningful situations is enough to get him going in a game? Are you expecting him to really produce in those limited minutes on a regular basis?

If you answered yes to both of those, what do you think the end result is, maybe 4 more wins on the season? Do you think our losses have come becuase of the PG position?

Now, since those minutes will come at the expense of Duhon, are those 4 extra wins worth not giving him the best opportunity possible to get Duhon meshed with this team before the playoffs?

We aren't trying to win games at all costs, we are trying to get this team in the best possible shape for the playoffs. Getting time in with different lineups, getting Duhon up and running as best we can (I'd say Q as well but he seems to have figured it out), everything is done with a focus on the playoffs. To me, it's well worth a few regular season victories being sacrificed in order to be better prepared for the playoffs.

Wasn't that the knock last season? Stan was focused on winning every game, and didn't get the guys prepared to play certain line ups. When we needed to go big against Boston, it wasn't something they were familiar enough with, and it showed. Now Stan is focused on the playoffs and possible lineups, getting new guys aclcimated etc., and people want to win every regular season game instead!

SVG values defense over everything else. Du plays good solid D and will continue to backup Jameer for that reason. Yes it is ugly when the man attempts offense, but hopefully that will come. Did Otis overpay? So far it looks like he did. duhon needs to show more on the offensive side to justify that contract.

Do you think that playing J-Will 5-10 minutes per game in meaningful situations is enough to get him going in a game? Are you expecting him to really produce in those limited minutes on a regular basis?

If you answered yes to both of those, what do you think the end result is, maybe 4 more wins on the season? Do you think our losses have come becuase of the PG position?

Now, since those minutes will come at the expense of Duhon, are those 4 extra wins worth not giving him the best opportunity possible to get Duhon meshed with this team before the playoffs?

We aren't trying to win games at all costs, we are trying to get this team in the best possible shape for the playoffs. Getting time in with different lineups, getting Duhon up and running as best we can (I'd say Q as well but he seems to have figured it out), everything is done with a focus on the playoffs. To me, it's well worth a few regular season victories being sacrificed in order to be better prepared for the playoffs.

Wasn't that the knock last season? Stan was focused on winning every game, and didn't get the guys prepared to play certain line ups. When we needed to go big against Boston, it wasn't something they were familiar enough with, and it showed. Now Stan is focused on the playoffs and possible lineups, getting new guys aclcimated etc., and people want to win every regular season game instead!

I think that he could make good use out of that 10 minute stretch. J Will can shoot, but he has seen games where he hasn't even attempted a shot. We could use him to orchestrate some high tempo offense when our squad gets stagnant.

As for the long term situation you mentioned, I think over a 60 game span Duhon could establish some chemistry. He's got practices, team meetings, and the PT in games to develop that. It could be an issue if he continues a habit of bad performances though, but he hasn't really shined so far...in due time perhaps.

I think giving J Will PT could benefit us, we've got some athletic guys on this team and we can use the fast-break to take advantage of that. Maybe Duhon is settling for just average performances... this could give him some motivation and drive him to compete for his time on the court.