Sign in to follow this  
OrlandoNKentucky

Help me complete my iTunes

You are Drunk On Mystery aren't you? Please don't tell me about music. I was stating my opinion, which is as legit as anyone else's here. You are talking about music in absolutes like you have a knowledge that the mortal man does not. I realize how you have to rush to every post and "drop knowledge" to fulfill your real life insecurities. I get that. We all do. Every post of yours screams "in real life i am inadequate and hung like a grape, so i come to the web to pick on site noobs and talk like an authoritarian !!" I hope it works for you, i really do because every time I come here, without fail I see you going at somebody and making sure everyone knows you are the smartest guy here and you will hit reply until they submit to your E will.

He's just dropping his opinion like everyone else. If you can't handle that without attacking him and hurling insults, perhaps the insecurities lay elsewhere?

Anyone who doesn't like Boris the Spider doesn't know what they're talking about.

it KILLS me every time I hear it. I end up walking around all day in my Christian Bale Batman voice chanting "Boris the Spider".

You are Drunk On Mystery aren't you? Please don't tell me about music. I was stating my opinion, which is as legit as anyone else's here. You are talking about music in absolutes like you have a knowledge that the mortal man does not. I realize how you have to rush to every post and "drop knowledge" to fulfill your real life insecurities. I get that. We all do. Every post of yours screams "in real life i am inadequate and hung like a grape, so i come to the web to pick on site noobs and talk like an authoritarian !!" I hope it works for you, i really do because every time I come here, without fail I see you going at somebody and making sure everyone knows you are the smartest guy here and you will hit reply until they submit to your E will.

You're really confused by the whole concept of discussion, aren't you?

Or are you one of those people who insists "Well, while I highly value your input and respect to your right to an opinion, I must respectively offer my own opinion in disagreement on this topic" should be inserted in the beginning of every post, like we are all complete morons?

And no, you didn't just suggest he should check out three artists. You said he should buy all their albums. I said he should check out those artists, but was more specific about which albums he should check out.

If you had intended to tell him: "Hey, here's three classic artists you should familiarize yourself with. They played some classic songs!", then you should've written that.

But acting petulant because I disagreed with what you wrote, instead of implicitly aggreeing with something you were allegedly thinking that was, in fact, NOT what you wrote? Well, that's actually just pretty stupid.

But you like...TOTALLY took me down by questioning the size of my penis. I'm not sure how I'll live with myself anymore.

I read the news today, oh boy....

But seriously, do you want like, classic rock? psychedelic music like Pink Floyd and The Beatles? Jimi Hendrix? Or more along the lines of Boston, Journey? You want old school hip-hop? I'd like to help out lol

oh and a classic rite here....from 72

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSAJ0l4OBHM

the meaning is rather...well, interesting

Everytime I hear "Horse with no name", I think it's a Neil Young song. It only lasts about 5 seconds before I remember that America wrote it, but it's always that weird moment before that moment of remembering.

it KILLS me every time I hear it. I end up walking around all day in my Christian Bale Batman voice chanting "Boris the Spider".

The most amazing part of that Batman voice part of the song, is that it's a woman doing that voice.

catman gets pretty defensive for someone who's half cat/half man. My cat doesn't seem to give a **** about anything except chasing small things and eating food.

• Upvote 1

catman gets pretty defensive for someone who's half cat/half man. My cat doesn't seem to give a **** about anything except chasing small things and eating food.

Aww, you have a cat? Thats cute, does it sit in your lap while you spend all day on an Internet forum?

And Dom gave the exact response I expected. Wordy as hell and self gratifying, i love it. The sad part is that you miss the fact that i was calling you out for going into "record store nerd" mode instantly, and it had nothing to do with me agreeing or disagreeing with your opinion on what i should have typed.

• Downvote 5

Suggesting to someone who is looking to expand their musical horizons into the "classic" songs (defined for his purposes as pre mid-late 80's) that they immediately go out and listen to the entire body of work from Jimi, Led Zep and PInk Floyd is probably not a great idea, particularly when purchasing the entire collection of those three represents a significant cost both in terms of money and time. Helping the OP to narrow down which albums are worth the initial investment is sound advice. What if he really couldn't hear Jimi, or didn't care for Floyd? You go on to rant that you don't have time to stop and detail out specifics, so you just gave him three legendary acts, then you bash someone who does have time and did just that?

Start slow. Work your way through a couple of classic albums from a larger selection of bands and find out what really gets you going. That's solid advice. Listening to 96.5 isn't a bad start either, but you don't get much of the deeper tracks and you lose the experience of listening to the full album. Also, maybe he doesn't live in the area. At any rate, pretty much everyone here suggested complete albums for him to listen to, instead of a collection of greatest hits, yourself included.

Three things:

1. There is really no need and little reason to own anything of Hendrix's that was released after his death. Are You Experienced?, Axis: Bold as Love, and Electric Ladyland are the only Hendrix albums that are really essential.

2. You really only need Zeppelin's first 6 albums. Presence, In Through The Out Door and Coda are all varying levels of mediocre. Plant's solo work was better.

3. I like Pink Floyd as much as the next guy, but there are hundreds of albums more important in the rock and roll landscape then most of their albums. They were great when they were "on", but there was a whole lot of garbage in the Post-Syd Barrett, pre-Dark Side of the Moon era of Pink Floyd. You'd certainly struggle to convince, well, anyone that More is more important than something like Who's Next?, Machine Head, Exile on Main St., or hell, even Paranoid or whichever Neil Young record you think was the best.

Firstly, you are a condescending asshat for holding an opinion that differs from my own. Just wanted to get that out of the way.

Secondly, there are plenty of reasons to own records of Hendrix's that were released after his death. I would agree that there is nothing worth hearing on First Rays of the New Rising Sun or any of the weird collections of studio outtakes, but the live stuff is better than most of those good studio albums. Live Hendrix is a completely different animal, and you really don't get an appreciation of just how good he was until you hear some of that stuff. Band of Gypsys is the best, and admittedly that was released a few months before his death. But you won't be wasting your money on any of the live albums released by Experience Hendrix. I know this isn't what you were talking about, but you're still wrong there.

Thirdly, I defy you to find something wrong with Meddle, a perfectly good post-Barrett, pre-Dark Side Floyd album. Suck it.

Firstly, you are a condescending asshat for holding an opinion that differs from my own. Just wanted to get that out of the way.

I disagree. I'm a condescending asshat, entirely independently from any differences of opinion we may have.

Secondly, there are plenty of reasons to own records of Hendrix's that were released after his death. I would agree that there is nothing worth hearing on First Rays of the New Rising Sun or any of the weird collections of studio outtakes, but the live stuff is better than most of those good studio albums. Live Hendrix is a completely different animal, and you really don't get an appreciation of just how good he was until you hear some of that stuff. Band of Gypsys is the best, and admittedly that was released a few months before his death. But you won't be wasting your money on any of the live albums released by Experience Hendrix. I know this isn't what you were talking about, but you're still wrong there.

I...actually, I agree with this. Jimi was a behemoth live, unlike anything else that existed at the time or for years after, and his posthumous live albums yield varying results, but several of them are great. And you're right: Band of Gypsys is awesome.

So I'll refine my original point to be: If you're going to buy Hendrix's studio releases, avoid anything released after his death. While a couple of the outtakes are great, 90% are pure ****.

Thirdly, I defy you to find something wrong with Meddle, a perfectly good post-Barrett, pre-Dark Side Floyd album. Suck it.

Meddle is great, and this next sentence is a testament to how many great albums Pink Floyd put out. But the fact is that Meddle is, at best, the fifth most important/significant Pink Floyd album.

Anyone looking at potentially getting into the band would definitely want to check out the 4 "peak" albums first(from Dark Side of the Moon through The Wall), and I'd argue they should jump to their first album with Barrett, Piper at the Gates of Dawn, from there.

For OrlandoNKentucky:

If this conversation has piqued your curiosity regarding Pink Floyd and Hendrix, I'd recommend the albums to start with for those two artists are Dark Side of the Moon and Are You Experienced? respectively.

While I'd argue that neither of those albums were the artists' best work, I'd say that in both cases they're the most immediate(and most famous).

For individual song samples from those artists/bands, I'd say you should try "Breathe" for Pink Floyd and "The Wind Cries Mary" for Hendrix. I am SURE someone will disagree with those choices. I'm not sure either is the artists' best work, but I'd say both are emblematic of what to expect from the band(insomuch as you can do that for a band like Floyd).