Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Food, drinks - and prices - supersized at new Amway Center(link)

Shouldn't it be assumed that if you are drinking alcohol outside of your home you are going to spend a decent amount of money on it.

Same can be said for food.

everything has gone up, it's absurd. I am personally more concerned with the price of my seats going up roughly 30% than I am about concessions, but thats the price I pay to be a fan and a season ticket holder I suppose.

Referencing your comment about a 30% raise in your seats, is that a concern or is it factual?

Anyways, thanks for the takes from those that responded...

I can get a pitcher of beer at Ale House for $5, and have to pay $6 for a bottle in NY. Speaking of which, don't bother asking for a pitcher or a bucket at a bar in NY. I tried that once, they all looked at me funny. They had never heard of the concept.

Yeah, my friend moved back up to Jersey and was talking about how much he missed the $5 Ale House pitchers because at NJ the same pitcher goes for $15 (at most bars).

The highest drinks I've seen were in Vegas, but that was expected.

Back to the Amway prices. If you decide to eat at the stadium, you should expect it. There are plenty of restaurants in the area you can eat at before the game. Or if you're that concerned at prices, you could go to a bar, eat, and drink for less than a ticket, drinks, and food.

What's everyone's restaurant they like to go to before the games? I used to go to the cantina at wall street before the games at the old arena. They always had specials on game nights and it usually had a pretty good crowd. The one game I went to this year, we went to Cleo's for drinks only though.

Wait, to go BEFORE the game or FOR the game?? The Clubhouse (RIP), Gators, and Froggers are all places I like to watch the games at. The Clubhouse was definitely my favorite.

Wait, to go BEFORE the game or FOR the game?? The Clubhouse (RIP), Gators, and Froggers are all places I like to watch the games at. The Clubhouse was definitely my favorite.

Gators FTW! Do you ever go to All You Can Eat Wings Monday?

Gators FTW! Do you ever go to All You Can Eat Wings Monday?

Nah, I usually don't go out to bars to eat, and if I do it's the Ale House.

Another place I was extremely SURPRISED was this Hookah bar (no clue what it's called) by the Wal-Mart basically in Kissimmee (after Downtown Disney, before 192, on Apopka Vineland). The place isn't like those hipster hookah bars they have by Metrowest and Sea World, the owners are really cool and it's a pretty laid back place. I always went there but not to watch games. Went to check it out during Game 6 against Cleveland and the place was PACKED (it was never really packed) with Magic fans and even the owners were into the game, shouting GO MAGIC in a really thick Middle-Eastern accent. Great place.

Nah, I usually don't go out to bars to eat, and if I do it's the Ale House.

Another place I was extremely SURPRISED was this Hookah bar (no clue what it's called) by the Wal-Mart basically in Kissimmee (after Downtown Disney, before 192, on Apopka Vineland). The place isn't like those hipster hookah bars they have by Metrowest and Sea World, the owners are really cool and it's a pretty laid back place. I always went there but not to watch games. Went to check it out during Game 6 against Cleveland and the place was PACKED (it was never really packed) with Magic fans and even the owners were into the game, shouting GO MAGIC in a really thick Middle-Eastern accent. Great place.

I think I know which one your talking about! Is it called Pharaoh's Hookah Lounge?

I think I know which one your talking about! Is it called Pharaoh's Hookah Lounge?

Hah, I have no idea. Never really paid attention to the name (I actually don't think they even had the name out for awhile). It's right by the Wal-Mart and the Hess (almost sandwiched in between). There's actually a new hookah bar that's out to the street (out to 535/Vineland), but to get to this one you take a right into Indonesian road then the next left (basically imagine the strip that's in the very back of Wal-Mart parking). I think the place is under construction though, haven't been there in awhile because I bought my own Hookah and ironically stopped smoking (not exactly quit, just stopped with the habit and brought it down to "rarely").

Ahh. Economics.

Question: Say the Magic/city are selling just as much now as before, and making more money in the process. Should they lower their prices just cuz? Of course not. That would be silly.