Sign in to follow this  
Arielle

With Melo on the trading block, what would it take to get him in Magic uniform?

I think the main reason you're (the OP) getting the bashing you're getting is because of the trade you proposed.

Carter/Duhon/Anderson for Anthony/Billups

Carter is an expiring piece, meaning all he's really good for is to be traded. Meaning Denver would have to turn around after they trade for him and trade him again. "But Trey, couldn't they just keep him and let him come off their books and sign a free agent?" Sure they could, they can also do that with Carmelo.

Next, have you watched a Magic game this year? Duhon's play has been so horrible that we're a week or two away from seeing "Resign AJ" threads. Why would Denver trade Billups for Duhon, to make room for Lawson? Their guard rotation is fine the way it is, why fix something that isn't broke?

Anderson adds a new dimension to the team that they don't have. Good for you, out of three players you managed to produce one that Denver would go for. Problem is you want their two best players for him.

Best bet for Orlando if they wanted to get Melo is to do a three team trade which could possibly see Nelson being dealt. Denver is set at guards, and they're set at bigs. They would want swingmen. Unfortunately for the Magic, all of the good trade pieces are bigs.

Here is what you need for this trade to happen. You need a third team that has a GOOD swingman, that is weak at either the PG position or weak at their bigs. Obviously the Heat are the first team that comes to mind, but they're not going to trade LeBron to Denver.

Here's the only scenario I can think of:

Orlando receives: Carmelo Anthony

Denver receives: Josh Smith, Ryan Anderson/Brandon Bass, Mickael Pietrus

Atlanta receives: Chauncey Billups, Marcin Gortat

Now, I don't care to even look at the trade machine, so I don't even know if this works. Also, would Atlanta help us, a division rival, get Carmelo Anthony? Probably not, but I'm using them as an example because this is the type of situation you're going to need. Before they got Collison, Indiana would've been a perfect third team.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think the main reason you're (the OP) getting the bashing you're getting is because of the trade you proposed.

Carter is an expiring piece, meaning all he's really good for is to be traded. Meaning Denver would have to turn around after they trade for him and trade him again. "But Trey, couldn't they just keep him and let him come off their books and sign a free agent?" Sure they could, they can also do that with Carmelo.

Next, have you watched a Magic game this year? Duhon's play has been so horrible that we're a week or two away from seeing "Resign AJ" threads. Why would Denver trade Billups for Duhon, to make room for Lawson? Their guard rotation is fine the way it is, why fix something that isn't broke?

Anderson adds a new dimension to the team that they don't have. Good for you, out of three players you managed to produce one that Denver would go for. Problem is you want their two best players for him.

Best bet for Orlando if they wanted to get Melo is to do a three team trade which could possibly see Nelson being dealt. Denver is set at guards, and they're set at bigs. They would want swingmen. Unfortunately for the Magic, all of the good trade pieces are bigs.

Here is what you need for this trade to happen. You need a third team that has a GOOD swingman, that is weak at either the PG position or weak at their bigs. Obviously the Heat are the first team that comes to mind, but they're not going to trade LeBron to Denver.

Now, I don't care to even look at the trade machine, so I don't even know if this works. Also, would Atlanta help us, a division rival, get Carmelo Anthony? Probably not, but I'm using them as an example because this is the type of situation you're going to need. Before they got Collison, Indiana would've been a perfect third team.

Hawks would be 4.8m over the cap. And we still had VC, Shard and no bench!

I agree with what you said except for the Denver set at Bigs. Sure they got plenty of PF but not Centers. Nene at PF and Gortat at C you would have a team that can rebound at will.

Whoever takes Carmelo Anthony will have to take All Harrington too, not because he is a bad player but because he has a long contract and trading Carmelo means starting over for Denver.

Though I would love Melo here, getting rid of Bass, Anderson, and Gortat would deplete our front court depth. We would have Orton, Lewis, and Dwight as our bigs and we'd still get abused by Boston and LA so we'd have to find a way to keep at least one of those 3. And although we have draft picks, the mid to late 20 spots have minimal values.

In short, we're not getting Melo so I'm rooting for Iggy

Though I would love Melo here, getting rid of Bass, Anderson, and Gortat would deplete our front court depth. We would have Orton, Lewis, and Dwight as our bigs and we'd still get abused by Boston and LA so we'd have to find a way to keep at least one of those 3. And although we have draft picks, the mid to late 20 spots have minimal values.

In short, we're not getting Melo so I'm rooting for Iggy

When I put Bass/Anderson the "/" was meaning "or". I assumed everyone would recognize that.

When I put Bass/Anderson the "/" was meaning "or". I assumed everyone would recognize that.

I'm not directing this towards any ideas or proposals, moreso to the point that we don't have the pieces to get Melo or anyone on his level

I'm not directing this towards any ideas or proposals, moreso to the point that we don't have the pieces to get Melo or anyone on his level

I was kind of trying to hammer that point across too. We have pieces, just not pieces that help the Nuggets. It would take a third team that has a good swingman and needs pieces like what we have.

Trade everyone there but Bass and its a steal... err I mean deal.

• Upvote 1