Sign in to follow this  
Drain-O

Game Thread Jazz at Magic 11/10/2010 7PM

3Q - 2:43 53 - 69 Chris Duhon enters the game for Jameer Nelson

4Q - 9:51 72 - 76 Jameer Nelson enters the game for Chris Duhon

- In a 5 minute stretch with Duhon at the point a 16pt lead turned into a 4 point lead

Yet Duhon was only a -6 (Nelson -4). Nelson played 32 minutes which is just about how many minutes you want him to play (and be effective at). Howard in foul trouble and all of those turnovers piling up were the biggest problems for that game, not Chris Duhon playing like a mediocre point guard. Nelson was still coming off an injury and there was no need to put him back in there earlier (he was playing well, though). I do agree we should've had Vince in there instead of JJ, especially when they started hitting the team with the zone. Gortat and Bass were also absolutely useless when guarded by a zone.

• Upvote 1

I think Stan is really going to focus on improving our offense against the zone, which will most definitely help us down the line. So there is a positive to this loss.

It'll be okay guys.

Gortat and Bass were also absolutely useless when guarded by a zone.

why do you think Bass was ineffective vs the zone? I thought he was actually one of the players that kept actively moving trying to disrupt it and he took pretty good shots also - plus were it not for Gortat's sausage hands he made a couple of really nice interior passes that should have been easy buckets had Gortat actually caught and converted. Gortat was a deer in headlights though - I couldn't tell if it was because Duhon wasn't calling him up to set the pick or what because he was just camping out under the rim.

I think JJ was the only one who tried to penetrate the zone once or twice otherwise it was side to side ball movement around the arc with everyone standing still. For all I complain about VC he is the only one other than Jameer that can actually penetrate into the paint and make the zone fall apart....that we only have two players that can do that is a problem specially since they're both injury prone.

why do you think Bass was ineffective vs the zone? I thought he was actually one of the players that kept actively moving trying to disrupt it and he took pretty good shots also - plus were it not for Gortat's sausage hands he made a couple of really nice interior passes that should have been easy buckets had Gortat actually caught and converted. Gortat was a deer in headlights though - I couldn't tell if it was because Duhon wasn't calling him up to set the pick or what because he was just camping out under the rim.

I think JJ was the only one who tried to penetrate the zone once or twice otherwise it was side to side ball movement around the arc with everyone standing still. For all I complain about VC he is the only one other than Jameer that can actually penetrate into the paint and make the zone fall apart....that we only have two players that can do that is a problem specially since they're both injury prone.

Bass' lack of awareness and bad spacing, along with Duhon's passive scoring mentality (he passed up on 3pt shots Nelson wouldn't have thought twice about), and Gortat's butter fingers made the zone much more difficult. Well, that and the lack of Dwight Howard.

After watching Duhon's defense yesterday I would question whether he is better at defense than JWilly... I think that he may not be. I think he would have done a better job on Deron than Duhon did yesterday.. And thank you LAMAGIC for putting those stats down.... Proved what I was talking about earlier in the thread

Yet Duhon was only a -6 (Nelson -4). Nelson played 32 minutes which is just about how many minutes you want him to play (and be effective at). Howard in foul trouble and all of those turnovers piling up were the biggest problems for that game, not Chris Duhon playing like a mediocre point guard. Nelson was still coming off an injury and there was no need to put him back in there earlier (he was playing well, though). I do agree we should've had Vince in there instead of JJ, especially when they started hitting the team with the zone. Gortat and Bass were also absolutely useless when guarded by a zone.

Exactly. It's absurd people want to blame Duhon for the loss. Pretty much every player had a hand in the loss, including Duhon, but not to the extent people want to make it out to be.

Exactly. It's absurd people want to blame Duhon for the loss. Pretty much every player had a hand in the loss, including Duhon, but not to the extent people want to make it out to be.

No one is blaming (only) Duhon for the loss (don't know where your pulling that from), but the combination Duhon on the court and Dwight off the court so far this year has been disastrous. Wether it be unfamiliarity with the players or his lack of aggressiveness on the offensive end, there is no denying the back up PG position (2nd unit) has taken a step backwards. This is clearly apparent - not in looking at the score but looking at the way the offense has been moving when Duhon is managing the offense. There is no penetration into the lane which is a must for Orlando's offense to work, otherwise its 5 players standing in spots. If you take out VC and Howard there is zero motion.

As I said in a previous post, its more than likely (hopefully) the adjustment to SVG's offense...the hopefully part is because his biggest criticism in NY was that Duhon managed the game from the top of the key and was ineffective offensively - the counter argument was that he had no one to run the pick n roll with in NY and that he was not an open court (D'Antoni) type point guard.

• Upvote 1