Sign in to follow this  
VCplusD12

The Official PES 2011 vs FIFA 11 Thread

So guys, another season has begun and we are all thirsty for our favourite football game. I've had the privilege to play both demo versions and I was pleased with both. I played FIFA during my childhood a lot, but started playing PES regularly since its 3rd European version. I think this year's versions of both games will completely spit on their predecessors, but I still think they have their own issues:

Things in which PES is better than FIFA

EDIT MODE - I friggin love it and may even spend more time editing stuff than actually playing the game, this year I may even make lots of money selling PS3 packs :)

Player Faces - I think anyone agrees with this, I have to say that FIFA's faces have improved big time this year and some of them are better than PES ones, but overall PES faces are better. And I play a lot with my loved FC Porto, and lower clubs faces are WAY better than FIFA ones.

Physical Ability of Forwards - I absolutely loved everything about FIFA's gameplay except in this department. It's so stressful when a guy like Messi or Drogba easily loses the ball to a defender with weak contact, this may be a major flaw if you want to play a full season of FIFA or something.

Penalty Kicks - They suck at both games, but FIFA's penalties are just awful.

Player Movement / Detail - I may get bashed for this, but I believe that PES players run more naturally, FIFA ones (IMO) look kinda goofy and there's much more atention to detail, like you can tell when Messi or Ronaldo are running easily. Not to mention Free Kicks, in this department PES trashes FIFA.

Things in which FIFA is better than PES

Graphics - Fifa's graphics are groundbreaking, FIFA looks almost like a real football game was going on sometimes. I usually say that FIFA looks better from a certain distance, while PES looks better up close because of player faces and that. But as more time is spent passing the ball rather than watching replays, I'll give the edge to FIFA.

Licenses - Now, for the casual fan this would be an obvious one, but it's hard to say that for me. I've been playing PES for a long time and the dedication I put in editing stuff in PES is huge and I loved every second of it. Watching teams wearing kits that I took time to make and perfect is just awesome.

Gameplay - Now, Idk about the Final versions, but FIFA 11 demo gameplay is slick and smooth but maybe I'm overrating it a bit because I found FIFA 10 gameplay really depressing and with so much time playing PES, my conscience may have asked for a change, for the sake of it. Kinda like Magic fans ask for trades..

Presentation - Menus, sounds, everything. Remember I'm talking about default sounds.. I can choose the songs I want to hear while playing PES too.

Goal Celebrations - FIFA wins easily. I can't stand players at PES scoring goals then waving at the crowd all by themselves like nothing had happened. And when teammates pass by like, 'hey there dude, congratulations on scoring'

--

I will definetly buy PES 2011, and may also buy or ask a buddy to borrow me FIFA :)

As you can see I'm a big Football fan and I could keep talking about it for ages. Everyone is welcome in this thread, fanboys or not, you can say it all. This forum is full of big hairy men who aren't afraid to speak up and have internet wars! (Yes, this was my attempt at comedy)

Not everyone has the skill or time to create kits and other graphics which is huge for most consumers. Downloading and implementing patches can be a nuisance to most players if you play on the PC.

Ultimately FIFA is the way to go for me. Gameplay was a big factor in the past between these two franchises, but the gap has narrowed IMO.

I used to be a PES nut job, would play it all the time. Unfortunately every year they fail to make big improvements. My main gripe is that after 15 years they still have not sorted the problem of when a ball is going out for a goal kick, your defender will run after the ball (even if you're controlling the player) and procede to nudge the ball over the line for a corner. The opposition then goes and scores from said corner. Quite frankly it's been surpassed by FIFA in gameplay and that was the only thing PES had going for it, FIFA has the licence and the better graphics (and that's from someone who owns almost every PES game.)

Just bought PES 2011 and spent the whole day playing it. It's completely different from the demo and it's a joy to play. It's much harder than 2010, though.

Im a bit split myself because I was always a fifa guy from the very early ones like fifa 96 etc, then PES came out and smashed fifa away with a much much better game. I played both last year, and I found PES a much more frustrating game to play. In all honesty, the licenses are a massive plus for me as well. I'd be interested in hearing whether people think FIFA is now the leading game and the one to go for.

I played PES 2010 and I hated it. The one thing I've heard people like the most about PES is the fact that they have Copa Libertadores and some South American leagues. FIFA 11 is a pretty difficult game and yeah....I hate the fact that all defenders are faster than all forwards. In FIFA 10 I used to play with Messi on the right wing, grab the ball at mid field and drive the lane. I can't do the same on this game because he's not as fast as defenders, so I have to play through the middle.

Penalty kicks suck big time! It's so horrible that is the game is tied, I just pick extra time to aviod them.