Sign in to follow this  
Chase

Amways Grand Opening

Supposedly the open house thing this Saturday is a free ticketed event. But I can't find out how to get tickets, is it a get tickets as you show up deal or something?

I'd like to go and check it out, but I want to see if it's really worth the hassle.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just found out all the tickets for this thing are taken. Kinda odd you could sell out a free "open house" event, but whatever.

i have only been on the suite level, i will being going around the rest of the building on saturday. The bathrooms are nicer and there is a **** load of them.

I've been told tho that because the jumbo-tron is so big that when you sit in the 5 dollar seats you cant see the other basket. (lol) but good news is you can go stand at the bar and watch.

I went to the open house for season ticketholders and since a couple of my seats are $5 I checked out this rumor. NO you can see the whole court from sec 216. It is up there but pretty similar to the $10 seats at Amway Arena.

The center is AWESOME. The scoreboard is HUGE, The concourses are WIDE and are many, there will be no foot traffic jams like the old arena. The bars and restaurants and concession stands are UNBELIEVABLE for the variety of offerings, and locations for viewing the game Large flat scren monitors are numerous.

I was overwhelmed and missed a lot of the other amenities of the new home of the Magic. I can't wait until Oct 10th and our first game. If you can go to the open house on Saturday do so. We are BIG time in Orlando, this is the BEST sports venue in the USA.

All the positive talk, except for OS "Orlando got robbed" article... here's a little negative take on the Center. From RealGM's "magicmamma"

So I went there today for the STHs open house. I admit that I expected to be wowed by everything except my seat. The fact that no one could tell me how far my seat would be from the floor indicated it would be far, far away. I'm in the row 5 of the upper bowl and, as expected, it's at least as far from the floor as row t in the upper bowl of the old arena. A couple who sat near me in the upper bowl a few years ago are once again close by. I said, "Well, if we can't see what's going on on the floor, we can look at the big TV screen." He said, "We can do that at home." Then they turned on unbearably loud music and we had to leave our seats.

The concourses look like any airport. Lots of space, but wherever there is action (they had some of the food spots giving us free samples of food) there are lines going all the way across the floor blocking traffic. Forget about watching the game from the bar. They had stools set up along the edge, and unless you get one of those or are NBAmag-glass_10x10.gif height and stood behind them, you aren't going to see anything. It's like trying to see a parade from the sidewalk. Even though there was just a fraction of the STHs present, all of the tables and seats were taken.

Many bathrooms, and a few of them have almost as many stalls as the ones in the old arena. I have no idea what the men's rooms are like, but I pity any woman over 170 pounds who has to use those stalls. I'm about 130 pounds and have narrow shoulders, but when I sat on the toilet, my right arm was pressed against the toilet paper dispenser. Every woman I talked too was shocked at the size of those stalls. There's going to be a long line for the one or two handicapped stalls in those rest rooms. In the old building, there was probably one sink per three or four stalls and a paper towel dispenser for each two sinks. In the new one, there is approximately one sink per six stalls, and one paper towel dispenser per three sinks. Considering that these are those electronic dispensers, where you wave your hands around randomly hoping to get a little piece of towel to come out, make sure you can wipe your hands on your clothes.

Oh well, the millionaires in the club seats have a great view, and i"m sure their toilet stalls are huge.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just found out all the tickets for this thing are taken. Kinda odd you could sell out a free "open house" event, but whatever.

Every building/event has capacity limits.

People will literally complain about anything.

Case in point: I was listening to the radio this morning and some guy calls the sports show and complains that he could not get free tickets to the Rays game last night. The reason was because they said on the radio there were plenty of seats available so in his infinite wisdeom he decided to stop and get a freaking pizza. By the time he got there they had ran out.

Unreal.

Every building/event has capacity limits.

For all of the tax money we shelled out the least they could do is ignore safety and fire codes.

One thing that often crosses my mind when people in the upper bowl complain about "being in next state", "10 miles from the floor" or something... what did these people expect? NBA arenas are big and being in the upper bowl means you're gonna be pretty far away compared to lower bowl seats. It's just common sense. Those seats can't get any closer I think, unless they start hanging seats upside down on the roof and lower the roof too.

You are buying tickets to "the cheap seats", of course they are going to be a bit far away. I've seen complaints about this so many times on RealGM or where ever. Do people want smaller arenas? Like we have here? Most of them take about 1000, they're not even arenas. Just gyms. Biggest "arena" we have here has seats for around 3000 people I think.

That said, I can't wait to see the Center with my own eyes

For all of the tax money we shelled out the least they could do is ignore safety and fire codes.

and open themselves up to added liability and voiding insurance policies... oops, I know you're joking, but I deal with that sort of stuff in my office so I couldn't help but respond.

I went to the open house for season ticketholders and since a couple of my seats are $5 I checked out this rumor. NO you can see the whole court from sec 216. It is up there but pretty similar to the $10 seats at Amway Arena.

The center is AWESOME. The scoreboard is HUGE, The concourses are WIDE and are many, there will be no foot traffic jams like the old arena. The bars and restaurants and concession stands are UNBELIEVABLE for the variety of offerings, and locations for viewing the game Large flat scren monitors are numerous.

I was overwhelmed and missed a lot of the other amenities of the new home of the Magic. I can't wait until Oct 10th and our first game. If you can go to the open house on Saturday do so. We are BIG time in Orlando, this is the BEST sports venue in the USA.

yeah i went and checked out the rest of the arena and forgot to update. when i was there on Saturday i couldn't see the other basket, but im pretty sure cause the screen wasnt raised up all the way.But today i went in the nba visitor locker room and its nothing special. but the Mercedes Benz club is the real deal, its for all the rich people like tiger woods and people with money. then i went into the vip Mercedes Benz and that was even nicer lol. then i went into the chairmans suite and saw the biggest plasma ever. i have a picture of the room but not the tv. and i have a picture of the front of the magic locker room.