Sign in to follow this  
OrlandoNKentucky

Religion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DagVklB4VHQ

>>>> everything

not to get too off-topic, I'll comment on the thread... I don't think the idea of religion itself is good. I do think it's good that it does help guide people into being better beings, but at the same think find it sad that at this day and age, people still need some guy wearing a robe telling them what they should or shouldn't do. So, while I don't think it's detrimental for people to believe in a higher power, I do believe it's detrimental to society that there are "facilities" that tell you what to believe in and what not to believe. I respect people who read the bible -as well as other religious books- themselves and make their own conclusions. Can you imagine how math would be today if a bunch of people got together, formed their equations, taught everyone, and we all just assumed that was that, without trying it out ourselves and questioning their methods?

Extremists, from both sides, will continue to ruin any type of advancements to society we could all be making (in terms of understanding, acknowledging, and accepting).

To me, people can believe whatever the hell they want, as long as they don't interfere with someone else's life. I don't care if you think alkaline batteries are going to save the world, as long as you're not killing or hurting others because they don't believe the same thing.

Speaking for myself...I don't go to a priest and ask him to guide me. My life experiences and the bible do play a role among other things. I do get something out of my particular priest because he has been through many experiences and has a lot of knowledge.

Your right though about the extremists on ALL sides. They've been around for years. Its like this pastor whos burning the Quran, I can't stand what hes doing it. No bible says this is what he should do. He should just worry about feeding the poor or helping the unemployed. THAT will be right in God's eyes more then anything. Hes totally ignoring EVERYTHING that Jesus taught BUT, I would hope that the Muslims would just ignore him. Honestly, why give a damn what some idiot does and think?

I understand everyones view points on Religion but I want people to understand that its not RELIGION itself thats the problem. Its the people who represent it. Having a "religious" President or congressmen is not the problem. I would hope people choose more carefully. Hoping that "religion just goes away" is not the answer. What we need is more people who are religious without abusing it for personal agenda to STAND UP. Most people who use religion in this manner are doing it for this reason rather its to gain power, money or fame. Again, religion is a tool that has turned people lives around for the good. Its the ones who abuse it that we must weed out. It seems like most here rather they like religion or not, believe in God. Not all but most. Folks, you are RELIGIOUS then. Even if it is believing in a Energizer Battery. YOU ARE RELIGIOUS.

Definition of the word Religion-A belief in a divine or superhuman power or principal. Anything that elicits devotion and dedication.

Religion is a tool. Its the idiot whos using it wrong thats the problem. Like a hammer. Hitting a nail with the wrong end is just stupid. Turn it around. IT WORKS! Ever tried screwing a flathead screw with the handle of a screwdriver? Yeah...GOOD JOB!

Religion is good. People are bad when they use religion to get fame, money or power. Use it to do good things for self and the world the way Jesus taught, the tool works WONDERS. Even miracles.

• Upvote 1

Not surprised that the vatican is speaking out against this.

Even after the General tells him "hey, moron, we still got soldiers over here whos gonna get the brunt of the heat for what you doing, how about being smart and not do it", hes still going through with it.

This is an example of the idiot whos using the tool wrong.

I understand everyones view points on Religion but I want people to understand that its not RELIGION itself thats the problem. Its the people who represent it. Having a "religious" President or congressmen is not the problem. I would hope people choose more carefully. Hoping that "religion just goes away" is not the answer. What we need is more people who are religious without abusing it for personal agenda to STAND UP. Most people who use religion in this manner are doing it for this reason rather its to gain power, money or fame. Again, religion is a tool that has turned people lives around for the good. Its the ones who abuse it that we must weed out. It seems like most here rather they like religion or not, believe in God. Not all but most. Folks, you are RELIGIOUS then. Even if it is believing in a Energizer Battery. YOU ARE RELIGIOUS.

Definition or Religion-A belief in a divine or superhuman power or principal. Anything that elicits devotion and dedication.

Religion is a tool. Its the idiot whos using it wrong thats the problem. Like a hammer. Hitting a nail with the wrong end is just stupid. Turn it around. IT WORKS! Ever tried screwing a flathead screw with the handle of a screwdriver? Yeah...GOOD JOB!

Religion is good. People are bad when they use religion to get fame, money or power. Use it to do good things for self and the world the way Jesus taught, the tool works WONDERS. Even miracles.

The problem is, Religion is a tool of control. (in order to attempt to step on the fewest toes possible I'll examine Hinduism).

Consider the caste system. For the sake of brevity, the caste system is essentially a ladder where the upper tiers deserve to be where they are because they've lived several good lives and the lower tiers are where they are because they've done something wrong in previous lives.

Isn't that just a fairy tail used to keep the upper class in control and the lower class content and unable to rebel?

The problem is, Religion is a tool of control. (in order to attempt to step on the fewest toes possible I'll examine Hinduism).

Consider the caste system. For the sake of brevity, the caste system is essentially a ladder where the upper tiers deserve to be where they are because they've lived several good lives and the lower tiers are where they are because they've done something wrong in previous lives.

Isn't that just a fairy tail used to keep the upper class in control and the lower class content and unable to rebel?

Any Christian or person of logic can see that the Caste System is simply a means of control. The best part about Abrahamic Beliefs is that all individuals are equal under God. That the richest and poorest are on the same ground in the eyes of God/Yahweh/Allah.

Wrong. That tool was not invented to "control" you. It was invented for one to control their own lives when ones particular life is OUT of control. Big difference.

AGAIN, the people who use it to control you, are MISusing it like the idiot whos using a staple gun backwards.

Any Christian or person of logic can see that the Caste System is simply a means of control. The best part about Abrahamic Beliefs is that all individuals are equal under God. That the richest and poorest are on the same ground in the eyes of God/Yahweh/Allah.

Exactly. Logic+religion works well.

FWIW, I'm not a Republican.

Abortion is obviously THE divisive morality issue, but doesn't the left counter that with their opposition to the death penalty & military offensives? Isn't the left currently driving a healthy living agenda from coast to coast, Fed to local government? Which falls in line with their history of inacting prohibition. Or don't sin taxes qualify as attempting to legislate morality? We can highlight examples from Tipper Gore's attempt to ban explicit lyrics in music to members of both parties supporting the ban on internet gaming. But, the current president has claimed passing everything from health care to cap-n-trade is a "moral imperative" while also invoking the name of God.

I wouldn't claim that the Democrats are without sin when it comes to pushing moral legislation. They clearly have had their moments. I don't think that the majority of the examples that you cited are religiously inspired however. Most of the Christians I know support the death penalty using the "eye for an eye" argument as justification. War debates always divide people regardless of their religious affiliation. Saying universal healthcare is an example of catering to religion is a joke. The only examples you provided that were legitimately pushed by religion are music censorship and prohibition.

As for Obama invoking the name of God, he probably did that so he could go one day without being accused of being Muslim. The fact that an elected official following a religion other than Christianity in this country is looked at negatively is a good example of why religion is completely worthless. But if you want to call out Obama for using the word God in a speech, you had better do so with a little perspective. Bush claimed God guided him to every decision he ever made while in office.

• Downvote 2

Definition of the word Religion-A belief in a divine or superhuman power or principal. Anything that elicits devotion and dedication.

Just out of curiousity, are all religions good or just the one you believe in?

• Upvote 1

When people talk about getting rid of religion, they mean organized religion, which is not good at all. This is something that no one in this planet knows more about than the other, and organizations shouldn't be allowed to profit off of other's questions and beliefs because they're able to con them into thinking they know more.

The world would be a much better place if people decided to think for themselves and stopped relying so heavily on churches.

The Vatican itself is a joke. Can you honestly believe Jesus himself would live in that place? It goes against nearly everything he tried to teach.

When people talk about getting rid of religion, they mean organized religion, which is not good at all. This is something that no one in this planet knows more about than the other, and organizations shouldn't be allowed to profit off of other's questions and beliefs because they're able to con them into thinking they know more.

The world would be a much better place if people decided to think for themselves and stopped relying so heavily on churches.

The Vatican itself is a joke. Can you honestly believe Jesus himself would live in that place? It goes against nearly everything he tried to teach.

Playing Devil's Advocate for a moment.

I think churches in general provide solace for people confronted with death. Having religion is still having something when everything else is taken from people. They also provide safe social settings for youth, community involvement, charity for down on their luck families, etc.

I'm more against religious involvement in politics, politicians pandering to the religious crowd to gain support to pass self serving legislation, and religious intrusion into my own life (i.e. the people who spend a week every two months on FSU's campus screaming at everyone that they're going to hell).