Sign in to follow this  
sharp/7/shooter

Cannabis, Marijuana and the Great Debate of Legalization

I'd be happy if it were treated just like alcohol.

I have concerns about limiting the right to grow it. I don't think this would ever happen, but I can imagine a scenario where the tobacco companies take over and we get nothing but Marlboro and Camel pot. For anyone who homebrews, think of the difference between a homebrewed beer and a Bud Light. We'd get the cannabis equivalent of that. Then the whole thing would be pointless.

I have concerns about limiting the right to grow it. I don't think this would ever happen, but I can imagine a scenario where the tobacco companies take over and we get nothing but Marlboro and Camel pot. For anyone who homebrews, think of the difference between a homebrewed beer and a Bud Light. We'd get the cannabis equivalent of that. Then the whole thing would be pointless.

not if you're a college student trying to throw "pot parties" cheaply.

Down the road, if marijuana is legalized and we regulate the selling of it like you mentioned (like alcohol), I can see two outcomes. A negative in quality of the plant, as the product goes commercial, companies would take the 'profit' approach. They will process the plant in the cheapest way possible in order to make the most revenue. On the other hand, we could have a positive impact in the quality. As companies compete for customers, this could drive them to focus more on high quality output of the plant. Who knows.

hahahahahaha

Natty High

shooter' timestamp='1282338542' post='569109']

Down the road, if marijuana is legalized and we regulate the selling of it like you mentioned (like alcohol), I can see two outcomes. A negative in quality of the plant, as the product goes commercial, companies would take the 'profit' approach. They will process the plant in the cheapest way possible in order to make the most revenue. On the other hand, we could have a positive impact in the quality. As companies compete for customers, this could drive them to focus more on high quality output of the plant. Who knows.

Yeah, knowing the kind of people that are really involved in stuff like this, I'm sure we'd see plenty of really high quality stuff. I think that's the direction it would take if it's ever fully legal, but I would not be surprised one bit if we found some way to screw this up.

It would need a "kegger"-like name. And it would be really strange to be at a giant house party that features weed instead of alcohol. I'd like to see a really stoned frat boy trying to date rape an equally stoned sorority girl. I bet it's hilarious.

How could my country benefit from it? Are we still the #1 country in trafficking drugs to the US?

This topic has been discussed numerous times in Colombia and it seems like they'd never approve it. Colombia spends millions of dollars fighting drug dealers all year long and be legalizing it, like someone else said, they can concentrate on more important things. Truth is, everyone I know that like weed, smoke weed everyday only they have to hide in their house or back yard.

I support the right of individual states to legalize it. I don't think it should be done at the federal level.

I don't think states should be permitted to effectively legalize it by legalizing medicinal marijuana as California has done. Either legalize it, strictly enforce the medicinal legalization, or don't make it legal.

I don't think individuals should be permitted to sell or grow & I don't think dispensaries should be permitted to buy from unregistered growers. The situation in Cali where half the homes in a community are operating as grow houses is dangerous and allowing dispensaries to operate as out in the open drug dealers is hypocritical. Allow independent farmers, who struggle being profitable to do the growing, kill two birds with one stone, and maybe even help manage the inflation of consumer goods.

Bottom line, California's model is terrible unless circumventing the law is the only goal.

Agriculture, as a whole, is very profitable. Farmers make so much money off of it in this country that the government pays landowners who farm to not farm a percentage of their land every year in order to manage supply. People forget that agriculture is what makes America a world superpower. Marijuana horticulture is very profitable as well...perhaps I misunderstood your comment though.

• Downvote 1

How could my country benefit from it? Are we still the #1 country in trafficking drugs to the US?

This topic has been discussed numerous times in Colombia and it seems like they'd never approve it. Colombia spends millions of dollars fighting drug dealers all year long and be legalizing it, like someone else said, they can concentrate on more important things. Truth is, everyone I know that like weed, smoke weed everyday only they have to hide in their house or back yard.

On the crime and drug dealing front of marijuana - most dealers and growers DO NOT want to legalize marijuana. They would loose their sales and profit very little because of the availability of the plant. Why would a grower spend so much time and money on harvests that they do not profit from? The regulation of cannabis would create a lower price ceiling and thus put marijuana dealers out of business.

A little from my personal experience - I have seen that circle of potheads that would rather do nothing but mope around like sloths. I've had friends that have been in that circle as well. The sad fact of the matter is that they would be there anyway, with or without the use of cannabis. I've also witnessed the complete opposite, my personal friends, and family friends who have benefited from the cannabis plant. Medically - my uncle uses it for his HIV and personally - I know plenty of successful members of society who regularly smoke it.

shooter' timestamp='1282333275' post='569078']

Well, the information is not hidden now, but in 1974, Ronald Regan, with his war on drugs had manipulated the public image of cannabis. He proclaimed that "The most reliable scientific sources say permanent brain damage is one of the inevitable results of the use of marijuana".

i thought it was nixon who declared a war on drugs

good ole ronny was the governor of california in 1974, his admin was running in the 80's

nixon was president for most of 1974 but he declared a war on drugs in 1971

is this the correct information or is there a typo?

i thought it was nixon who declared a war on drugs

good ole ronny was the governor of california in 1974, his admin was running in the 80's

nixon was president for most of 1974 but he declared a war on drugs in 1971

is this the correct information or is there a typo?

People like blaming Reagan for everything.

IMO, it is a state issue. I don't think there needs to be a federal law on the books or a Constitutional Amendment, but I also am anti- IRS, Dept of Education, Dept of HUD, etc.

I think states should have the right to legalize anything they want. I'd support the legalization of cocaine as well as pot. If cigarettes and tobacco are legal then so should numerous other drugs.

I've never smoked a cigarette in my life, but I am against private property smoking bans. I also think prostitution and gambling should be legal everywhere, as well as gay marriage and the ability to sell your organs. But like I said, its a state issue, and I don't want the government getting involved in any of these issues at the federal level.

• Upvote 3

Agriculture, as a whole, is very profitable. Farmers make so much money off of it in this country that the government pays landowners who farm to not farm a percentage of their land every year in order to manage supply. People forget that agriculture is what makes America a world superpower. Marijuana horticulture is very profitable as well...perhaps I misunderstood your comment though.

Agriculture as a whole is not incredibly profitable and the financial exposure required to turn a modest profit each year is probably the worst business model in America. Which is why independent farmers are being pushed out of the picture and the industry is going the way of corporate farms.

The Farm subsidies you're talking about do exist, but they are far from universal. Most farm subsidies exist because farmers can't survive at the prices they receive for commodities. And, obviously, restricting supply is bad for consumers.

Why I suggest "compensating" farmers (with emphasis on independent farmers) by allowing them to grow weed is to eliminate the need for subsidies & government manipulation of supply & demand. If this were policy, farmers would be virtually garuanteed a comfortable living, and in turn would be able to provide their regular commodities at the market price dictated by supply & demand without subsidies and without government manipulation. Good for independent farmers, good for tax payers, good for consumers.

I think that makes a lot more sense & serves the greater good more than allowing degens to grow weed in residential neighborhoods, where as we've seen in Cali, leads to all types of crime & public safety issues.