Sign in to follow this  
Jareth Cutestory

We will have Chris Paul and Carmelo Anthony by 2012

you do realize that the majority of these rumors are true. All of them actually come from league sources. The problem is many times GM's leak false information to try and use the Media to screw with negotiations. For instance, Carmelo probably never asked for a trade, he without a doubt doesn't want to stay in Denver and plans to leave via FA at the end of the year. Denver has offered Melo the maximum extension they could legally offer him so he can't be using this for negotiation power. Denver isn't really in a New Orleans type of situation, they make moves regularly and finances don't really hurt their ability to bring in top level players so he's not putting fear in Denver to keep them competitive.

So Melo tells Denver that he's leaving so he doesn't feel like a jerk pulling a Lebron/Bosh type of move at the last minute. Melo drops a few team names to help with negotiations (because signing an extension is the most important thing in the deal). Denver starts putting feelers out to a few teams with players they like (not just teams on melo's list because maybe they can convince him to sign an extension with a team after the deal is actually on the table). They probably get into preliminary negotiations with a couple teams to see where things go (NY and Chicago are definitely included) and although Denver realizes they need to get value back for Carmelo, they know they have 4 or 5 months to get a deal done.

NY and Chicago (among other teams) really want Carmelo, they see the writing on the wall and think they can get him for $0.05 on a dollar. They toss out "Carmelo only wants to play for New York" to the media. Other teams see that and some might decide they don't want to waste their time with negotiations. New York benefits because it screws with a bit of Denver's leverage.

Teams do these things on draft night all of the time.

So when espn says a league source from an NBA executive says Carmelo only wants to play for New York it means New York wants Carmelo.

When espn says a source familiar with the circumstances says that Orlando, Minnesota, LAC, and Boston are interested in signing Allen Iverson it really means "I'm Allen Iverson's agent and nobody is interested in signing him. Maybe other teams would be interested if we pretend there is a demand".

Sometimes rumors are completely true. Most of the time they are only partially true.

you do realize that the majority of these rumors are true. All of them actually come from league sources. The problem is many times GM's leak false information to try and use the Media to screw with negotiations. For instance, Carmelo probably never asked for a trade, he without a doubt doesn't want to stay in Denver and plans to leave via FA at the end of the year. Denver has offered Melo the maximum extension they could legally offer him so he can't be using this for negotiation power. Denver isn't really in a New Orleans type of situation, they make moves regularly and finances don't really hurt their ability to bring in top level players so he's not putting fear in Denver to keep them competitive.

So Melo tells Denver that he's leaving so he doesn't feel like a jerk pulling a Lebron/Bosh type of move at the last minute. Melo drops a few team names to help with negotiations (because signing an extension is the most important thing in the deal). Denver starts putting feelers out to a few teams with players they like (not just teams on melo's list because maybe they can convince him to sign an extension with a team after the deal is actually on the table). They probably get into preliminary negotiations with a couple teams to see where things go (NY and Chicago are definitely included) and although Denver realizes they need to get value back for Carmelo, they know they have 4 or 5 months to get a deal done.

NY and Chicago (among other teams) really want Carmelo, they see the writing on the wall and think they can get him for $0.05 on a dollar. They toss out "Carmelo only wants to play for New York" to the media. Other teams see that and some might decide they don't want to waste their time with negotiations. New York benefits because it screws with a bit of Denver's leverage.

Teams do these things on draft night all of the time.

So when espn says a league source from an NBA executive says Carmelo only wants to play for New York it means New York wants Carmelo.

When espn says a source familiar with the circumstances says that Orlando, Minnesota, LAC, and Boston are interested in signing Allen Iverson it really means "I'm Allen Iverson's agent and nobody is interested in signing him. Maybe other teams would be interested if we pretend there is a demand".

Sometimes rumors are completely true. Most of the time they are only partially true.

Trust me, I understand how information strategy works. Though I disagree with some of your presumptions on the Melo situation - but thats neither here nor there - as I have my own and neither one of us really know what is truly happening so there is no one right opinion on this; not yet anyway.

I used that quote because I thought it was hilarious that the whole article's foundation is a loose tying together of tidbits from 'league sources' and then Dwyer standing high on a pedestal makes that remark as if he would 'never use an anonymous league source.'

Trust me, I understand how information strategy works. Though I disagree with some of your presumptions on the Melo situation - but thats neither here nor there - as I have my own and neither one of us really know what is truly happening so there is no one right opinion on this; not yet anyway.

I used that quote because I thought it was hilarious that the whole article's foundation is a loose tying together of tidbits from 'league sources' and then Dwyer standing high on a pedestal makes that remark as if he would 'never use an anonymous league source.'

League sources remain anonymous for a reason...

?

If someone tells you a secret or wants you to put information out, but no one else is supposed to know, you make him anonymous. The "league sources" will always be anonymous because they do not want to be held accountable for for whatever happens if they leak any information and they do not want to lose credibility if it doesn't end up happening. Why should people believe them? Because they're involved in the NBA more than a blogger or a guy with a press pass is, and you're better off taking your chances with a rumor coming straight from the league than from a rumor started on a message board. And by keeping that person "anonymous", it allows you to build trust with them and get more information for the future.

If you actually read the article he's not so much trying to create rumors but talking about the possibilities of him being traded and so on.

He's not saying "Chicago and New York want to deal Melo", he's saying "What should Denver go for if they trade with Chicago/New York", which is more of a hypothetical piece than a rumor-spreading article.

If someone tells you a secret or wants you to put information out, but no one else is supposed to know, you make him anonymous. The "league sources" will always be anonymous because they do not want to be held accountable for for whatever happens if they leak any information and they do not want to lose credibility if it doesn't end up happening. Why should people believe them? Because they're involved in the NBA more than a blogger or a guy with a press pass is, and you're better off taking your chances with a rumor coming straight from the league than from a rumor started on a message board. And by keeping that person "anonymous", it allows you to build trust with them and get more information for the future.

If you actually read the article he's not so much trying to create rumors but talking about the possibilities of him being traded and so on.

He's not saying "Chicago and New York want to deal Melo", he's saying "What should Denver go for if they trade with Chicago/New York", which is more of a hypothetical piece than a rumor-spreading article.

really is that what that meant...gee i didn't get that...and I'm glad you and sharpshooter cleared up for me the whole sources thing - that whole anonymous thing is so confusing...you guys are smart

really is that what that meant...gee i didn't get that...and I'm glad you and sharpshooter cleared up for me the whole sources thing - that whole anonymous thing is so confusing...you guys are smart

I'm sorry, I didn't know how smart you are and how much you know about reporting in the field.

And not that I have to explain myself, but my previous post regarding the anonymous source was directed at what you said about Dwyer, not you directly. You replied as if you wanted an answer, so Pancakes explained it for you. It was a nice gesture man, what is up with the sarcasm?

I'm sorry, I didn't know how smart you are and how much you know about reporting in the field.

And not that I have to explain myself, but my previous post regarding the anonymous source was directed at what you said about Dwyer, not you directly. You replied as if you wanted an answer, so Pancakes explained it for you. It was a nice gesture man, what is up with the sarcasm?

it sounded like sarcasm to me and bmp's answer reiterated it as sarcasm...I normally respond to sarcasm with sarcasm...if it wasn't - my bad

The Denver Nuggets' resistance to trading star forward Carmelo Anthony is fading away, according to sources with knowledge of Denver's thinking.

The Nuggets still aren't aggressively shopping Anthony and haven't withdrawn their longstanding offer of a contract extension, but numerous sources told ESPN.com that Denver officials have in recent days let other teams know for the first time that they will listen to pitches after previously resisting such discussions.

"I'm not sure how soon, but I do think they're going to trade him [between now and February]," said one rival GM.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5594741

Get it done, Otis!

Dwight and Carmelo are making a movie in china or something right now. Dun dunn dunnnn, the suspense continues. Im pretty sure Dwight will use his charm and smile to talk him into signing a 10 year 500 thousand dollar contract with the magic.