Sign in to follow this  
Penny Hardaway's Ghost

Magic to re-sign Jason Williams

This is coming from the guy trying to use Golf to make a point.

It's irresponsible and rather stupid for a coach to give minutes to a player who isn't showing effort in practice. If a player can't focus during practice, he shouldn't be playing AT ALL. How do you even explain why a coach would put a player out on the court out of intuition rather than actual evidence of seeing that player perform.

Bench players know damn well that if they don't show up during workouts and practices, they won't be getting any playing time. So, if one seems "uninterested" and "unfocused" in practice, it's his own damn fault he's not seeing any playing time.

Yes Iverson sucked or did not try in practice and did not deserve playing time. Your point is well taken. He won how many MVP's did he get. Oh yeah more than anybody who ever played for the Magic.

Believe it or not there are players who are not great in practice that are great in the game. And yes it is the job of the coach to intuitively sense who is the best players for the game.

:svgsad:

At first you said you had to be good in practice to get playing time, and now you are saying you have to focused in practice to get playing time... which one is it?

I sucked in practice when I played goalie in soccer, because it wasn't anything like being in an actual game. Sitting there and having people line up at the goal and shoot at you over and over is nothing, NOTHING like an actual soccer game. If you watched me just during practice you would think I was a stiff in the box but then you see me in a game posting shutout after shutout and making the all-state team, then you wouldn't think it was the same guy.

Sometimes people are just bad at practicing the mechanical and need the fluidity of a game to get into the element.

give up, its a lost cause. Some people just dont have the capacity to learn.

Learn exactly what that you are more intelligent than me. No I am not going to devolve. Sorry.

Golf is the hardest game any body has ever tried to master. Just ask Jordan, Smoltz, Barkley, or any professional sports playing human. I take that you all suck at it and that is the reason you cant understand. Ha f-ing ha.

Go back to playing your XBox or Playstation and dominate your buddies and feel worthy.

• Downvote 4

Learn exactly what that you are more intelligent than me. No I am not going to devolve. Sorry.

Golf is the hardest game any body has ever tried to master. Just ask Jordan, Smoltz, Barkley, or any professional sports playing human. I take that you all suck at it and that is the reason you cant understand. Ha f-ing ha.

Go back to playing your XBox or Playstation and dominate your buddies and feel worthy.

no need to get angry. its not your fault, you just dont get it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It must be stated that poor effort in practice does not always mean sucking in practice. I can see the iverson point coming soon.

Hahaha, it was used anyways, even after you pointed it out...

At first you said you had to be good in practice to get playing time, and now you are saying you have to focused in practice to get playing time... which one is it?

I sucked in practice when I played goalie in soccer, because it wasn't anything like being in an actual game. Sitting there and having people line up at the goal and shoot at you over and over is nothing, NOTHING like an actual soccer game. If you watched me just during practice you would think I was a stiff in the box but then you see me in a game posting shutout after shutout and making the all-state team, then you wouldn't think it was the same guy.

Sometimes people are just bad at practicing the mechanical and need the fluidity of a game to get into the element.

I was actually addressing what he said. He changed from a player being good in practice to a player not focusing in practice (which are two totally different things), so I changed the argument as well.

Keep in mind we're not talking about practicing jump shots in an empty gym. We're talking about several scrimmages the team holds. If guys who already don't get much playing time decide not to focus during practice, it's their own fault. And if they do focus, that isn't enough, because you still have to do better than whoever you're fighting for minutes with. Practices are the best ways to judge what kind of players you're dealing with WITHOUT hurting your team in a real game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmZ5y55x100

shooter' date='04 August 2010 - 06:03 PM' timestamp='1280959405' post='566465']

It's ight Pancakes, hopefully this cheers you up

It brought up the fact that we still don't have him :svgsad:

• Upvote 1

The ones in bold we traded before they even played for us or were traded very early in their careers They were not developed by the Magic. Your point was beyond ignorant, Thanks anyway.

I'm guessing you didn't read the part where I said that Orlando was above average in identifying talent, and then listed the players they picked to offer examples of their ability to identify said talent. This leads me to believe you either lack a basic reading comprehension ability, or are so intent on "proving everyone wrong" that you decide to argue against points not made in an attempt to prove yourself. Interesting game.

I made a post earlier giving examples of talent that Orlando has developed, this post was showing their ability to find talent as well. But that's okay if you couldn't understand the post, or find any way to refute the points made other than to twist them into something they were not in an effort to discount them. I didn't expect much anyway. ;-)

Cheers.

• Upvote 1

no need to get angry. its not your fault, you just dont get it.

I have been put down over and over for having a different opinion. But I am not angry, just disappointed especially in someone who is supposed to be a moderator. Just what does Moderator mean. Maybe you should look up the definition and enlighten us. Or just realize that your opinion is not the end all to be all.

What I don't get is people who have never played pro sports feel that their opinions are somehow more intelligent than those that have.

By the way I enjoy arguing with people if you haven't noticed, but I don't try and put people down unless they do it to me.

Also I participated in this discussion about the validity of signing an old washed up has been for the third pg position instead of acquiring a young talent that hasn't blossomed yet. I still feel that youth should be served in this position.

He got playing time because IMO that Ryan can shoot the 3 like Shard. He was replacing Shard and Stan plays the stretch 4. That is the only reason for starting Ryan over Bass. Nice try though.

As for proving yourself in practice, in only shows your good at practice. Playing in a real game is a total different animal so to speak. Playing professional golf for over 25 years has taught me the difference. Since when as any of you played any sport professionally? I'd like to know. Or all all of you like Mike Lupica a wanna be that never played anything professionally.

Right, so now we're measuring our peckers are we?

No one here gives a rats *** if you were/are/or want to be a pro golfer. It has absolutely nothing to do with the conversation. To suggest that the only reason Anderson started over Bass when Lewis was out was because of his outside shot is, again, ignorant, which is apparently par for the course (haha) when reading your posts. Are you suggesting that Stan doesn't have the ability to identify which player is a better fit and is better prepared to start based on what they do in practice? Was there some private conversation between Otis and Stan that went something like:

Stan: "I think I'm going to start Anderson while Lewis is out"

Smith "Why, Bass is killing it in practice and Anderson looks like he's on a JV squad"

Stan: "Sure, but Anderson can shoot the three"

No, because that;s absurd.

It's no different than training in the Marines (see, I can play this game too). If a kid can't follow orders and carry out the basic game plan in training, I can't expect nor depend on him to do so in a real life situation and sure as hell am not putting my life on the live to give him a shot. Sure, some guys can't handle the pressure of "game time", but if you've trained them properly and instilled the skills required they general nervousness of the situation can be overcome much easier than a lack of training/ability. I'd much rather have a nervous engineer blasting a path through a minefield than a guy who was calm but couldn't perform the basic tasks required in training.

View Postfan for too long, on 03 August 2010 - 06:23 PM, said:

If you want to talk about young pg's who could blossom in a few years, then what about Randle who played on our summer league team this year. He is lightening quick and looks to be a leader and a good shooter. He would dribble circles around JWill. And much cheaper. But Oh I forgot the Magic don't develop young players unless they are a top five pick in the draft.

Reply by WPMagic:

Gortat and JJ disagree.

Player draft pick #

Chris Corchiani #36

Geert Hammink 26

Brooks Thompson 27

Rodney Dent 31

David Vaughn 25

Brian Evans 27

Ama McCaskill 49

Johnny Taylor 17

Eric Washington 47

Michael Doleac 12

Miles Simon 42

Courtney Alexander 13

Steven Hunter 15

Jeryl Sasser 22

Reece Gaines 15

Antonio Burks 36

James Augustine 41

Would all disagree with you!

Are you really including late 2nd round picks as examples of drafting futility? Do you know the odds of most second round picks ever making a final roster, much less being productive players? Also, I really don't think you can call Michael Doleac a bust. The man played in the league for 12 seasons.

What I don't get is people who have never played pro sports feel that their opinions are somehow more intelligent than those that have.

Sorry, but the parallel between you playing professional golf (allegedly) and knowing the inner workings of a professional basketball team is a lot like me saying I once climbed a tree so I'm an expert at rock climbing. There really isn't any connection aside from the words "professional" and "climb".