Sign in to follow this  
Ryan the Magic Fan

Official NCAA Football 2010 Season Thread

College football has the worst fans in the world. I barely watch the sport anymore because I can't stand talking to people about it.

It's getting to that point with me. I can understand being a passionate fan but I can't understand blind ignorance, or better yet, namecalling.

College football has the worst fans in the world. I barely watch the sport anymore because I can't stand talking to people about it.

A whole LOT of win in this comment. You are absolutely right.

It's getting to that point with me. I can understand being a passionate fan but I can't understand blind ignorance, or better yet, namecalling.

:rolleyes: seems like the rivalry is getting to somebody now that they're losing...

couldn't you say that about any sport?

couldn't you say that about any sport?

No not really. Sure every sport has it's absolute idiot fans that ruin the experience somewhat, but I've never seen any sport related argument's turn as petty as they do. I'm registered with pretty much every forum board of all teams I follow in all sports, and the places I am least active at are the UCF and UF boards. First of all, the amount of trolling from rival teams that happens on those boards make this place during playoff time look like a breeze. And then the arguments that constantly break out (even when the teams are doing successful) is downright pathetic.

I understand why it is. College Football has always had, far and away, the most passionate fans of any sport in the United States. It probably is the closest we ever get to Soccer fans in Europe when it comes to fanaticism. I catch myself sometimes about to fall into an argument about college football all the time, but it never happens with any other sport. I love the Magic probably more then any team, but I'm always more defensive of the Gators and Knights.

It really both hurts and helps the experience. The rabid fans is a huge part of the "Pageantry" that everyone says college football has. But it borderlines on the fanatical more often then not and it really can be a huge drag a lot.

No not really. Sure every sport has it's absolute idiot fans that ruin the experience somewhat, but I've never seen any sport related argument's turn as petty as they do. I'm registered with pretty much every forum board of all teams I follow in all sports, and the places I am least active at are the UCF and UF boards. First of all, the amount of trolling from rival teams that happens on those boards make this place during playoff time look like a breeze. And then the arguments that constantly break out (even when the teams are doing successful) is downright pathetic.

I understand why it is. College Football has always had, far and away, the most passionate fans of any sport in the United States. It probably is the closest we ever get to Soccer fans in Europe when it comes to fanaticism. I catch myself sometimes about to fall into an argument about college football all the time, but it never happens with any other sport. I love the Magic probably more then any team, but I'm always more defensive of the Gators and Knights.

It really both hurts and helps the experience. The rabid fans is a huge part of the "Pageantry" that everyone says college football has. But it borderlines on the fanatical more often then not and it really can be a huge drag a lot.

Actually, if I were you, I wouldn't take my kid. I'd take Manny Pacquiao. NFL stadiums are rougher than sandpaper thongs lately.

These days, NFL fans make NHL fans look like Miss Manners. They're often buy-a-vowel drunk, spewing cuss words and looking to fight. And the men are sometimes worse.

This year alone:

A plastered Browns fan tackled an 8-year-old kid in a New York Jets jersey, cutting the boy's ankle.

A man was stabbed and another bruised before a game at Candlestick in San Francisco. Police were looking for a fan in a 49ers jersey.

A man at Soldier Field in Chicago fell to his death from 20 feet up on Sunday.

Having fun, kids?

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=5867055

:rolleyes: seems like the rivalry is getting to somebody now that they're losing...

Let's be real here, Lewis. I'm fairly certain you're basically the same age as me. For as long as we've been in college it hasn't been a rivalry, and that's not even a jab at FSU. Now maybe you are a lifelong Nole and can remember the power struggle in the 90s, but I wasn't a Gator until I came here. I wasn't brought up in the rivarly, and so I personally have never really even bought into it. In fact, I've said several times in this thread that I wish FSU luck. The rivalry is the last thing I care about. I like seeing my team do well and I care about little else in regard to college football.

The only reason I wrote in this thread today is because Urb stepping down is a pretty big story. I was hoping to discuss it with people intelligently but of course that was a failure, as I should have expected. The irritability that you took from my post had to deal with the fact that no one really cares to have intelligent conversations anymore, we'd rather just say things like CUMeyer. It had 0 to do with UF vs. FSU, which I thought was pretty apparent in my post on the last page.

Let's be real here, Lewis. I'm fairly certain you're basically the same age as me. For as long as we've been in college it hasn't been a rivalry, and that's not even a jab at FSU. Now maybe you are a lifelong Nole and can remember the power struggle in the 90s, but I wasn't a Gator until I came here. I wasn't brought up in the rivarly, and so I personally have never really even bought into it. In fact, I've said several times in this thread that I wish FSU luck. The rivalry is the last thing I care about. I like seeing my team do well and I care about little else in regard to college football.

The only reason I wrote in this thread today is because Urb stepping down is a pretty big story. I was hoping to discuss it with people intelligently but of course that was a failure, as I should have expected. The irritability that you took from my post had to deal with the fact that no one really cares to have intelligent conversations anymore, we'd rather just say things like CUMeyer. It had 0 to do with UF vs. FSU, which I thought was pretty apparent in my post on the last page.

my fsu loyalty isn't very long lived, but I know that petty things like that come from coaches of both schools and players as well. thats what it means to be in a rivalry. Its a big deal. Why do you think UF trashed the visiting locker room after we beat them?

my fsu loyalty isn't very long lived, but I know that petty things like that come from coaches of both schools and players as well. thats what it means to be in a rivalry. Its a big deal. Why do you think UF trashed the visiting locker room after we beat them?

Right. I understand the rivalry and its significance but I am just in agreement with Berto and Ryan that the scope of it can often turn us all into fingerpointers and **** talkers and occassionally it would be nice to be civil. Of course, civility isn't a popular vocabulary word for most of us here at TBN :shard:

FSU fans were crying about us last year, lets not give them the satisfaction. Its just best to ignore posts like Catman's.

As for the resignation, I have a feeling UF will be just fine. Let's face it, this team was very poorly coached this year, and a lot of that falls on the man in charge. He tried delegating to a below average staff and it failed miserably. He probably realizes that he can only do the job one way, and its not fair to players and the university for him to not give it his all. His resignation is best for him and his family, and probably best for UF as well. I wish him the best, and thank him for all he did for UF.

We'll get a great coach. We have great resources and great facilities, and a reputation for success. If we don't get a Chris Petersen or a Gary Patterson, we'll probably get a guy like Petrino or even bring back Mullen. Mandel over at SI.com even suggested that Oregon's Chip Kelly wasn't out of reach, but I think its asking an awful lot. If we don't get a proven head coach (which I doubt) we'll probably be able to go after some high profile coordinators like Muschamp at Texas or Malzahn at Auburn.

FSU fans were crying about us last year, lets not give them the satisfaction. Its just best to ignore posts like Catman's.

As for the resignation, I have a feeling UF will be just fine. Let's face it, this team was very poorly coached this year, and a lot of that falls on the man in charge. He tried delegating to a below average staff and it failed miserably. He probably realizes that he can only do the job one way, and its not fair to players and the university for him to not give it his all. His resignation is best for him and his family, and probably best for UF as well. I wish him the best, and thank him for all he did for UF.

We'll get a great coach. We have great resources and great facilities, and a reputation for success. If we don't get a Chris Petersen or a Gary Patterson, we'll probably get a guy like Petrino or even bring back Mullen. Mandel over at SI.com even suggested that Oregon's Chip Kelly wasn't out of reach, but I think its asking an awful lot. If we don't get a proven head coach (which I doubt) we'll probably be able to go after some high profile coordinators like Muschamp at Texas or Malzahn at Auburn.

Mullen seems like a good bet. Lets just be honest here, UF (with facilities, central location in a recruiting hotbed, buckets of cash, and position in a top conference) is a top tier job in college football. Its in the class of Michigan, Ohio State, Alabama, theoretically Notre Dame though its reputation doesn't really match it's product, Southern Cal, etc. UF will get to handpick whomever they want (essentially) to coach the team.

There are two issues that UF needs to worry about.

1. That their selection doesn't succeed despite his reputation as a top coaching candidate (like Charlie Weis or Rich Rodriguez).

2. That their fanbase is too spoiled to sit through rebuilding years. They might have a year where they aren't bowl eligible as players are shuffled in and out to fit the new coaching philosophies. Growing pains are a part of the problem. Meyer was able to step right into UF and succeed due to talented recruiting and senior leadership. He left this program today in shambles. They have a group of players that don't really fit together. They have glaring weaknesses at OL, WR, RB, and QB.

What UF needs to do. 1. Hire someone quickly or at least have a plan publicly in place. 2. Convince recruits to stay committed. 3. Convince Brantley not to transfer (Driskel might opt for MLB money apparently and even so, you don't want a freshman QB starting)

Still, that might not be enough to be successful immediately (players are bound to transfer/open up their recruiting).