Sign in to follow this  
Dan Savage

Anderson Hard at Work This Offseason

Hey guys,

this is my first post ever. So pls be gentle. :-) I am reading these boards for quite a while now. I love the passion you guys have. I am a big magic fan since the days of Penny and Shaq, 3d and nick. I've seen this team changing and growing. The magic introduced me in my basketball passion, when basketball in Germany meant watching Det the Threat once a week 30 min max.

When I am taking a look at the current roster, I really see a bunch of talent.

Ryan bulking up and training hard is great to hear. I loved his game at the beginning of last season and I think he is a way better fit than Bass would be. Sure, Bass is pure muscle and power, but does he understand the game?

Ryan, I think, combines some skills the team surely can benefit from: Nice shot, great rebounder, length (if length could be seen as a skill). Being more powerful, Ryan could improve both his individual defense as well as his drive.

Would love to see him in the starting 5 and Shard at 3.

But these are just my 2 cents.

And I hope you guys do really forgive me, if my english sometimes seems to be crappy.

Anderson's #1 weakness is strength. It's him getting bullied on defense that's been hard to keep him in the game at times. If he can "hold his own" defensively next season, that'll go a long way towards keeping him on the floor.

I've read this sentiment dozens of times. I not only disagree with it, I don't know what its based upon. Anderson's weakness defensively is team defense, not individual defense w/matchups @ PF. There were certainly a handful of matchups SVG avoided w/RA last season (Z-Bo, Bosh, Pau, Dirk, Clev, Bos) but Hak is the only player I saw embarass RA defensively, and that had nothing to do with strength. He had one of the worst defensive sequences I've ever seen in the ATL series and he only got beat individually once.

Getting stronger is what took J.J. to another level, hopefully the same thing happens to Anderson.

It was part of the overall athletic transformation of JJ, but the ability to not only keep players in front of him, but challenge them defensively was the key imo.

Can RA get to the point where he does more than provide false effort defending the pick-n-roll? When he's forced to switch, can he close out & challenge jump shooters? Can he handle switches w/o being posterized by CDR? Can he actually provide resistance at the rim when he rotates down to get D12's back? These are the area's where RA was non-existant last season and while Shard is huge liability in the paint as a PF, he does a much better job in Orlando's scheme on those perimeter assignments than he's given credit for.

• Upvote 1

Its a shame all this work at this point isnt guaranteeing nothing, not when we have three quality pf's. The Magic need to make a move because all this 'depth' is pointless when Stan will only play 8 guys a game.

I'm really happy to see Ryan is putting in the hard work. I was hoping he would follow JJ's lead and come back fitter and stronger.

Now if only the new season would hurry up and arrive!

Im glad to see JJ is staying sunglasses2.gif

its also good to see what they are doing on their off season !

It's a shame this thread reminded me about our rotation problems.

That's why I'm still a firm believer that we can lose 2 or 3 good bench players if it nets us back a legit star or above average player who could fill a position of need in the starting lineup.

What's the use of having all this depth if some guys get 10-12 minutes a game and some don't even play. I get they're are injuries, but come on people. We are stacked down to our 12th man. Last year it was awesome since our bench has always been atrocious. But after seeing Bass rack up all those DNP's, it's a bit frustrating that we have to go through that once again. And this time we have 2 guys getting paid WAY too much to ride the bench or play 12 mpg.

Hopefully Bass gets played over Anderson at the start of the season and raises his trade value.

Then trade him out and allow Anderson to continue in Redick's shoes. Hopefully he will end up being a Pat Garrity on steriods*

*not literally