Sign in to follow this  
jaxmagicfan

Haberstroh: Best/worst deals of this summer (ESPN insider)

"Analyzing the best and worst value buys of the 2010 offseason at each position."

quote:

SMALL FORWARD

Steal -- Quentin Richardson

Orlando Magic, three years, $7.5 million

LeBron's sub-max contract is a no-brainer for this slot, but the two-time MVP was slated to be the best deal of the summer even before free agency began, given the league's restrictions on player salary.

Instead, it's worth pointing out that the Magic just signed Richardson, a perfect fit for their four-out system, for less than $3 million annually. In a seller's market in which Wesley Matthews, an undrafted rookie, received a $34 million deal, it's a veritable bargain. The 30-year-old drilled 142 3-pointers at a 39.7 percent clip last season in Miami, and he should help alleviate the void left by Matt Barnes, who is expected to leave Orlando this summer. It's a low-risk, solid-reward move that goes largely unnoticed in this free-agency climate. It's also the type of signing championship contenders need to make.

Overpay -- Travis Outlaw

New Jersey Nets, five years, $35 million

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba...ews/story?id=5399124

quote:
Originally posted by jaxmagicfan:

quote:

SMALL FORWARD

Steal -- Quentin Richardson

Orlando Magic, three years, $7.5 million

LeBron's sub-max contract is a no-brainer for this slot, but the two-time MVP was slated to be the best deal of the summer even before free agency began, given the league's restrictions on player salary.

Instead, it's worth pointing out that the Magic just signed Richardson, a perfect fit for their four-out system, for less than $3 million annually. In a seller's market in which Wesley Matthews, an undrafted rookie, received a $34 million deal, it's a veritable bargain. The 30-year-old drilled 142 3-pointers at a 39.7 percent clip last season in Miami, and he should help alleviate the void left by Matt Barnes, who is expected to leave Orlando this summer. It's a low-risk, solid-reward move that goes largely unnoticed in this free-agency climate. It's also the type of signing championship contenders need to make.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba...ews/story?id=5399124

I guess it is just as well that you posted all of the good stuff in the thread...because you have to have ESPN Insider access to make use of the link.

Sorry to those who can't see the full article but here's the other positions/players in there along with a Magic related quote:

POINT GUARD

Steal -- Raymond Felton

New York Knicks, two years, $15.8 million (unguaranteed third year)

Overpay -- Luke Ridnour

Minnesota Timberwolves, four years, $16 million

SHOOTING GUARD

Steal -- Anthony Morrow

New Jersey Nets, three years, $12 million

quote:
Did the Nets just sign the best shooter in the game for about half the price of J.J. Redick? It's certainly possible. The 6-foot-5 24-year-old from Georgia Tech just wrapped up a prolific shooting campaign from behind the arc last season (.456 3FG%), but the Golden State Warriors surprisingly resisted the option of retaining his rights for just $4 million per year.

It's tough to imagine why the Warriors have no interest in retaining a cheap, young commodity such as Morrow, but then again, we are talking about the Warriors. In New Jersey, Morrow joins a crowded perimeter with Courtney Lee and Terrence Williams on the wing, but it would make a lot of sense for the Nets to deal Williams to a team willing to stomach his erratic play.

Overpay -- Joe Johnson

Atlanta Hawks, six years, $123.7 million

POWER FORWARD

Steal -- Udonis Haslem

Miami Heat, five years, $20 million

Overpay -- David Lee

Golden State Warriors, six years, $80 million

CENTER

Steal -- Tiago Splitter

San Antonio Spurs, three years, $10.9 million

Overpay -- Darko Milicic

Minnesota Timberwolves, four years, $20 million

Is it just me or is 5m/year for Darko a good deal? He is no Dwight Howard or anything but he still is a solid player...

Sure I would have probably opted for 3 years instead but 5 per isnt bad at all.

Darko's well worth $5. I think Otis would have paid him $6-7 to stay, but he wouldn't look at less than $10 back then. If he had taken what Otis offered, he would have been starting PF for the Magic when Battie went down. Poor dope.

quote:
Originally posted by murphy13:

Is it just me or is 5m/year for Darko a good deal? He is no Dwight Howard or anything but he still is a solid player...

Sure I would have probably opted for 3 years instead but 5 per isnt bad at all.

Darko is a wet blanket. 8 points and 5.5 rebounds per game when you're getting 26 minutes per game is not worth 5 million per year. After 7 years in the league I think we've seen the best of Darko.

quote:
Originally posted by Shakaho:

Darko's well worth $5. I think Otis would have paid him $6-7 to stay, but he wouldn't look at less than $10 back then. If he had taken what Otis offered, he would have been starting PF for the Magic when Battie went down. Poor dope.

If I remember correctly, didn't Darko go to Memphis for 7 million a year when he left Orlando..??

quote:
Originally posted by Shakaho:

I like the Darko deal for Minny.