Sign in to follow this  
Chase

Anyone See Inception?(SPOILER)

That movie was Mind-Blowing!

Thoughts?

SPOILER

Was He in Reality at the End?

I saw it. I thought it was ok. I don't think it was a masterpiece like so many others do, though it's so much better than almost all movies that come out these days.

Also, I don't think he was in reality at the end, but it was obviously intended to be ambiguous, so who really knows.

amazing movie.

It doesn't matter to him if he was in reality at the end. He could see his children. Thats all that matters to him.

Thats why he spun it and walked away.

A little foreshadowing of this happened when they were in that basement in Mombasa. The old shaman guy said "...they come to be woken up. This is their reality and who are you to say otherwise." (something like that).

His kids were wearing the same clothes at the end that they had been wearing throughout (which I didn't catch til the second time around). I don't think it was real. Great movie.

quote:
Originally posted by JRam027:

His kids were wearing the same clothes at the end that they had been wearing throughout (which I didn't catch til the second time around). I don't think it was real. Great movie.

That's what I thought. If he was supposed to be gone for____amount of time, then why would his kids look exactly the same?

quote:
Originally posted by Chase:

quote:

That's what I thought. If he was supposed to be gone for____amount of time, then why would his kids look exactly the same?

that time could have only been a few months. Perhaps the studio only had the kids for one day and decided not to change their wardrobe.

More likely, they wanted us all to talk about the movie forever. They make the reality ambiguous so we can have these debates. There's no right answer.

Why he's in reality:

1. the top wobbles

2. he see's his kid's faces

Why he's in a dream:

1. The kids look reasonably the same

2. We never see the top fall

Philosophical third option:

1. What exactly is reality?

2. If his only wish is to be with his children and watch them grow up (its been shown that in your dream you can age, he'd be able to reasonably have a good life watching his children grow up) then does Cobb really care what reality he is in? He gets redemption by forgiving himself for the indirect murder of his wife so he's at peace with himself.

There is another idea: That everything that happens when he tries the chemist's chemical in Africa is a dream because we never actually see the top fall from that point in the movie, only that he tries to, but he can't get it to spin.

There is additional evidence by the fact that the architect's structure builds include his "limbo" space skyscrapers that only he built with his wife, so it would be impossible for the architect to know.

quote:
Originally posted by Lewis4thewin:

quote:

quote:

that time could have only been a few months. Perhaps the studio only had the kids for one day and decided not to change their wardrobe.

More likely, they wanted us all to talk about the movie forever. They make the reality ambiguous so we can have these debates. There's no right answer.

Why he's in reality:

1. the top wobbles

Why he's in a dream:

2. If his only wish is to be with his children and watch them grow up (its been shown that in your dream you can age, he'd be able to reasonably have a good life watching his children grow up) then does Cobb really care what reality he is in? He gets redemption by forgiving himself for the indirect murder of his wife so he's at peace with himself.

Makes Sense....

What about near the end when he washes up on the beach? Was he still in Limbo or was he in a level?

Because if he was in Limbo then why would he randomly believe he's home after all that time of beign in limbo?

Sorry for the confusion

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Why he's in reality:

1. the top wobbles

Why he's in a dream:

Makes Sense....

What about near the end when he washes up on the beach? Was he still in Limbo or was he in a level?

Because if he was in Limbo then why would he randomly believe he's home after all that time of beign in limbo?

Sorry for the confusion

Exactly. Saito was in limbo. He was in limbo. You can come back from limbo, but it might feel like a lifetime has passed so you might not remember what the heck you were doing prior to entering limbo. So Cobb went to get Saito and make him remember.

quote:

quote:

quote:

Why he's in reality:

1. the top wobbles

Why he's in a dream:

I might've read it here, but someone made a good point by pointing out that quote the old guy tells them when someone asks "They come here to fall asleep?" the old man says "Or they come here to be woken up, who are you to tell them what reality is" or whatever. So who are we to say whether it was fake or not. It was reality for him so that's all that really matters.