Sign in to follow this  
Marc Acres 3:16

Orl Sentinel-Retire Shaq and Penny's Numbers

I simply don't agree with the logic against retiring some of these numbers.

They may not have gotten us any championships, but Shaq and Penny are both very integral parts of our franchise's history. The Orlando Magic wouldn't be anywhere near the relevance they are today if it weren't for Penny, Shaq, and Nick. We'd be some obscure, irrelevant team like Minnesota or something.

I know it's a different sport, but as a fan of the 49ers, we have numbers retired for non-Hall of Fame players. Dwight Clark is a perfect example. His number is retired for one single play. ONE play. Not his years of service with the team, but one play.

It just happens to be the most relevant play in the franchise's history.

I see the same with Penny, Shaq, and Nick. Except for Shaq, these aren't HOF players. Except for Nick, they didn't play the majority of their careers here. But these guys are some of the most relevant players to step onto the court wearing a Magic jersey.

I would say there are 4 players at this time who have suited up for the Magic that are worthy of number retiring: Shaq, Penny, Nick, and Dwight.

Oh and as a PS, there is one argument I can see to NOT retiring Shaq's number, that being that his most relevance in the league came with the Lakers, not with the Magic. That'd almost be like the Vikings retiring Brett Favre's #4 jersey.

For that reason, I can understand why we wouldn't retire Shaq.

I think McGrady is more deserving of the number #1 being retired, and this is coming from a guy whose formative years came during the Penny/Shaq/Nick days.

And I mean formative: I wore a Nick jersey with my buddies, who wore Penny and Shaq jerseys, whenever we went and schooled kids on the blacktop.

We were the TEAM.

But I think McGrady put up better stats, individually, and was around longer.

In my opinion though, the only player worthy of it as on NOW: Nick.

Dwight will be, if he stays.

Isn't the whole purpose of retiring someone's number to make sure nobody ever uses their number again because they meant so much to the franchise? What is the point of retiring the #1 in Penny's honor when it has been used multiple times since he left and even worn by a player you could make an arguement for being better than Penny...

We don't need to retire anybody's number.

if we retire jerseys for every top player who gets us to the finals then we're going to run out eventually.

Shaq and Penny

Dwight, Hedo, Lewis

Dwight, Chris Paul?

then lets say we make one more run in dwight's waning years and retire Hypothetical player 1 and hypothetical player 2.

We need to wait until we have a championship or if we dont win a championship but dwight has a hall of fame career with us then we can retire him.

quote:
Originally posted by Lewis4thewin:

if we retire jerseys for every top player who gets us to the finals then we're going to run out eventually.

Shaq and Penny

Dwight, Hedo, Lewis

Dwight, Chris Paul?

then lets say we make one more run in dwight's waning years and retire Hypothetical player 1 and hypothetical player 2.

We need to wait until we have a championship or if we dont win a championship but dwight has a hall of fame career with us then we can retire him.

I don't understand why others want to retire Shaq or Penny. Neither did anything basketball or community related that amounted to a franchise changing event. Shaq dumped us, and Penny got Brian Hill bumped (Maybe his best accomplishment.)

Neither had a heart for Orlando, or the Magic.

Only a few players with longevity with the Magic are are remembered for their extreme work ethic, team pride, and true love the game.

I count Armstrong and Skiles in that list. But I consider Nick Anderson to top the list of people who deserve special recognition for what he did here. He was our first star, and except for missing those free throws, and having a glass jaw (look it up) he didn't cause any problems for us or the city.

That is my take, for what it's worth

quote:
Originally posted by Nell2ThaIzzay:

They may not have gotten us any championships, but Shaq and Penny are both very integral parts of our franchise's history. The Orlando Magic wouldn't be anywhere near the relevance they are today if it weren't for Penny, Shaq, and Nick. We'd be some obscure, irrelevant team like Minnesota or something.

I know it's a different sport, but as a fan of the 49ers, we have numbers retired for non-Hall of Fame players. Dwight Clark is a perfect example. His number is retired for one single play. ONE play. Not his years of service with the team, but one play.

I see the same with Penny, Shaq, and Nick. Except for Shaq, these aren't HOF players. Except for Nick, they didn't play the majority of their careers here. But these guys are some of the most relevant players to step onto the court wearing a Magic jersey.

I would say there are 4 players at this time who have suited up for the Magic that are worthy of number retiring: Shaq, Penny, Nick, and Dwight.

First, the idea the current Magic's success has anything to do with the flash of success they enjoyed during the Penny/Shaq era is illogical imo.

Second, using a player you feel is unworthy of having his # retired by another organization to justify why other unworthy players should have their # retired by the Magic is a paradox I've yet to unwind.

Third, what makes Shaq & Penny's tenure with Orlando better than T-Mac's? The fact they played on a team good enough to reach the Finals?

Lastly, should Detroit retire Grant Hill's jersey? It would be incredibly hard to claim his 6 seasons in Detroit were not as good or better than the 4 seasons Shaq played in Orlando, the 6 seasons Penny played in Orlando, or the 4 T-Mac played in Orlando imo.

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

quote:

First, the idea the current Magic's success has anything to do with the flash of success they enjoyed during the Penny/Shaq era is illogical imo.

Second, using a player you feel is unworthy of having his # retired by another organization to justify why other unworthy players should have their # retired by the Magic is a paradox I've yet to unwind.

Third, what makes Shaq & Penny's tenure with Orlando better than T-Mac's? The fact they played on a team good enough to reach the Finals?

Lastly, should Detroit retire Grant Hill's jersey? It would be incredibly hard to claim his 6 seasons in Detroit were not as good or better than the 4 seasons Shaq played in Orlando, the 6 seasons Penny played in Orlando, or the 4 T-Mac played in Orlando imo.

Face of the franchise for a decade, retire the jersey

Brings the team a championship and is on the team for at least 5 years, retire the jersey.

thats it.

quote:

As relevant as that play was, it wouldn't have meant as much if they hadn't beaten the Bengals after "The Catch" against the Cowboys. No one would care about Dwight Clark without the Super Bowl victory as the ultimate end result.

Having said that, I've made it very clear on this boards, and in the Fan Voice, how I feel about retiring Nick's jersey. I'm fine if they choose not to retire it, but I will be extremely upset if either Penny or Shaq get their jerseys retired and Nick doesn't. Actually, I'd be upset if either of those players gets their jersey's retired, period.

Shaq never cared for this franchise and cared little for the city itself. For him, Orlando is simply a sunny tax haven. As for Penny, I think he just grew more and more disgruntled the longer he had to carry the team himself. Then the injuries started. A sad end to be sure.

12 is the only one that is near worthy, and 12 is not there yet.

When somebody wins a championship, then consider that leading player first.

Nick is unique in that he was our first pick, spent most of career here and always respected the fans. Maybe he should have the second jersey retired. A number of the current team does not appear to consider the fans to be all that important. Let them keep their money, those that seem to think it's just business, already have their reward. Fans should look to the rafters at a jersey of a player that played outstanding, always respected the fans, Central Florida and the organization.

Nick and Dwight are the real only prospects in 20 years and I think both have some more time to invest in the Magic first.

Retire one of Pat's crazy outfits or something first. He is after all, Magic Man #1.