Sign in to follow this  
sharp/7/shooter

NFL's 18-Game Regular Season Extention

quote:
Originally posted by TreyTime:

It would be awful to extend the regular season. Every season record will be broken in the next three years. They better have an * next to them. Think about it, it's an amazing feat to get 2,000yds rushing in an NFL season. In an 18 game season 2,000yds will be "meh".

This is exactly why I'm against 18 games. You're throwing years of statistics and records down the toliet.

quote:
Originally posted by sharp[7]shooter:

quote:
Originally posted by AcuWill:

Careers are going to be shortened and we might as well line the hearses up. Unless they cut the preseason, this is horrible and even if they do, it will still make key players have to play more.

I love football, but I don't want to players getting more destroyed than they already are. Maybe another solution/consideration would be to increase roster sizes.

The staleness in which the NFL treats their players and ex-players is mind-boggling. They could have learned from their issues with medical care to severely injured retirees.

My take is that player safety should come first...I have no problem waiting for that Sunday every week if they happen to keep the 16 game schedule.

I have to be honest, I am relative newcomer to american football, but is this a genuinely severe issue? I am a huge fan of rugby, played it for a while, and now enjoy watching the pros. I see a lot of similarities between rugby and american football but, since rugby players regularly play between 30-40 games a season, why can't american footballers do the same?

quote:
Originally posted by Ullan:

quote:
Originally posted by sharp[7]shooter:

quote:
Originally posted by AcuWill:

Careers are going to be shortened and we might as well line the hearses up. Unless they cut the preseason, this is horrible and even if they do, it will still make key players have to play more.

I love football, but I don't want to players getting more destroyed than they already are. Maybe another solution/consideration would be to increase roster sizes.

The staleness in which the NFL treats their players and ex-players is mind-boggling. They could have learned from their issues with medical care to severely injured retirees.

My take is that player safety should come first...I have no problem waiting for that Sunday every week if they happen to keep the 16 game schedule.

I have to be honest, I am relative newcomer to american football, but is this a genuinely severe issue? I am a huge fan of rugby, played it for a while, and now enjoy watching the pros. I see a lot of similarities between rugby and american football but, since rugby players regularly play between 30-40 games a season, why can't american footballers do the same?

Tbh, I don't know what it is about American football that makes it such that players break down so badly. With my extremely limited experience though, it seems like rugby players tend to get hit less in the legs.

Maybe someone else has a better idea.

Just a couple general reasons that contribute to injuries in American Football:

1) The pads. It may be silly to say that the protection is part of the problem, but it is. With shoulder pads and helmets, an athlete can crash into another player with no remorse and full force. I'm not saying that pads are a bad thing, but they contribute to injuries a lot more than people realize.

2) American Football is play-by-play. That is, when you clobber someone with a tackle, you have time to recover, resulting in bigger impact hits. Rugby is basically non-stop and I'm saying this from experience. There is stoppages for line-outs, scrums, and penalties, but with general play from half-to-half, it is basically continuous. You have to keep in mind that you need to carry on with your team's play even after a tackle. So when you do lay a hit on the opposing player, you conduct the tackle in a way that puts you in position to get right up and continue.