Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

For those think Q. Rich's defense is as good as Barnes witness Mr. Hollinger(Insider)

quote:
Originally posted by Jareth Cutestory:

quote:
Originally posted by Chi Town Hustler:

After reading through 6 pages of this I am convinced that NOBODY on this forum knows for sure if Barnes was ever offered a contract from Otis. I think Otis took those tweets a little too personal.

Proper business should be done between his agent and Otis Smith (Magic management). Twitter should not be the means of dealing with a contract negotiation.

even if you look at the tweets and barnes action in general, it doesn't look like he's ever considered hiring a public relations firm or even deals with his agent directly.

This is simple. The gain from Duhon outweighs the loss of Barnes.

Let's say Duhon is a 6 out of 10. Jason Williams is a 4.5. At the same time, Q is a 5 and Barnes is a 6. Guess what, you just upgraded by .5.

It's like Fantasy Football, folks.

Sure, Nate Kaeding is the best kicker in the NFL right now... But that doesn't mean you draft him over Philip Rivers, who is only ranked the 9th best QB.

quote:
Sure, Nate Kaeding is the best kicker in the NFL right now... But that doesn't mean you draft him over Philip Rivers, who is only ranked the 9th best QB.

nate-kaeding-vs-jets.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by ButterMilkPancakes:

quote:

nate-kaeding-vs-jets.jpg

'career high' - something worth celebrating

I'd like to find one person who said Quentin Richardson's defense is as good as Barnes', as the title says.

quote:
Originally posted by jecMagicMan:

I'd like to find one person who said Quentin Richardson's defense is as good as Barnes', as the title says.

Srsly. I was under the impression that the consensus here on OMMB was that Q is better offensively but not as good defensively.

quote:
Originally posted by WPMagic:

LOL, that's the only kicker I can think of. The NFL blows.

Stephen Gostkow.. ski? Uh, the kicker from the Patriots would of been a better one to choose, lol.

I honestly think letting Barnes just walk without much resistance is a mistake too.. but perhaps one that couldn't be avoided.

Getting a younger backup for Jameer was priority #1, the biggest hole on the team this summer. Exhibit A would be Rondo diving between J-Will's legs. It was certainly the first order of business as opposed to keeping Barnes or getting Q-Rich. If getting Duhon and using more than half of the MLE to fix that hole meant losing Barnes, then so be it.

It's not like losing Barnes can't be overcome. Quite simply, it's time for our full MLE player, Mickael Pietrus, to step up and put a stranglehold on the SF spot. He's every bit as capable of Barnes from an individual defensive standpoint, and is a better shooter. If he does, then having Q-Rich be a major 3 point danger off the bench for as relatively small as his contract is will look genius (Q made 9 million dollars last year. He's making around 3 a season for us now).

As far as leadership? At some point the "captains" Dwight & Jameer have to step up, or thew two veteran All-Stars in Vince & Rashard have to. They are the best players on the team, and the best players on the team are the ones who are looked to. Dwight & Jameer have now had two really deep runs in the playoffs, how much longer do they need the Matt Barneses of the world to LEAD?

Also, I read a few times last year that Redick (yes, Redick) stepped up and pep talked the team after losses in the locker room. So if worse comes to worse, perhaps after earning the respect of his teammates the last couple of seasons, as well as the security of knowing he'll be here for a few more years, Redick can step up into that "voice in the locker room" Barnes had. We already know Redick can sure hustle.

Yeah Barnes was important, but what he brought to the table can be replaced if other Magic players step up.