Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

For those think Q. Rich's defense is as good as Barnes witness Mr. Hollinger(Insider)

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

quote:
Originally posted by ButterMilkPancakes:

Allen is just terrible for anywhere beyond 15 feet. 21.4% efG from jump shots (33% of his shots being jump shots). The season before, it was 28.2% eFG and 39% of his shots being jump shots.

After taking a look at the hotspots from the last two years: WOW

wowtonyallen.jpg

Not disputing his shooting prowess, but this highlights the stupidity of Simmons claim. He barely even shoots outside the shadow of the rim.

yeah, this probably comes from remembering bad stuff rather than what really happens.

i think the magic are going in a different direction. lewis to the sf and ra or bass at pf depending on match ups. with vc at sg and jj as his back up. then you will see vc at sf, lewis at pf, and jj at sg, with duhon. the team will have a lot of options. i do not think qr will play that much with pietrus around.

quote:
Originally posted by jack l j:

i think the magic are going in a different direction. lewis to the sf and ra or bass at pf depending on match ups. with vc at sg and jj as his back up. then you will see vc at sf, lewis at pf, and jj at sg, with duhon. the team will have a lot of options. i do not think qr will play that much with pietrus around.

I'd go for the opposite of that. I think Lewis stays at the 4 and Q-Rich starts at the 3. Pietrus is too much of a liability on offense to be with the starters. He has mental lapses where he forces bad shot after bad shot, and it's much more noticeable when you have better players around you. Atleast in the 2nd unit he can chuck up those shots due to him being more of a primary offensive option.

I'd love to have Lewis at the 3 however with Ryan maybe starting at the 4. If Hedo/Lewis could work, I think Lewis/Ryan could work. That is if we keep with the stretch 4 mentality. If Ryan gets some more muscle and works on his defense this offseason, it could work wonders.

i agree with the last part. i think jj has set the bar high. if you want to play and improve on the defensive side, get stronger, then you can play. the nba is very tough and defense is big part of making it on a championship team.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Chi Town Hustler:

You are assuming that Q signed for the same amount that Barnes turned down. Right? Do you know how much Barnes was offered and can you tell me your source?

Barnes went from signing to contenders (as he so put out) to accepting an offer from the Raptors for around $5mil a year.

We offered Q*berto the rest of the MLE, which is less than half of what the Raptors offered Barnes. Barnes wanted a lot of money/long term (as he pointed out countless times), the Magic could not offer that.

Doesn't take a genius to deduct that Orlando did not have the money Barnes wanted and went for Q*berto.

Let's try it one more time. Do you know for a fact that the Magic offered Barnes a contract, and if so, how much?

quote:
Originally posted by KLR:

Isn't it suspect that this guy who apparently is a good role player and does his job well for the cheap, keeps moving from team to team with former teams having little to no interest in retaining his services?

That is pretty interesting, I've wondered about that myself.

Also just out of curiousity how quick is Paul Pierce? Ray Allen? Anyone not named Rondo on Boston's roster? How do they manage to defend other teams so well?

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

quote:

Isn't it suspect that this guy who apparently is a good role player and does his job well for the cheap, keeps moving from team to team with former teams having little to no interest in retaining his services?

Also just out of curiousity how quick is Paul Pierce? Ray Allen? Anyone not named Rondo on Boston's roster? How do they manage to defend other teams so well?

team defense as well as physicality and cheap shots.

Now by cheap shots I'm not saying its to criticize. There was an article after the '08 finals talking about how they were taught how to stick there knees out on screens, slightly push players off balance on shots to make it more difficult, use elbows in the post, etc.

pierce and allen basically try and stay up on their man. if they drive around them then they have a large allotment of big men to give hard fouls and make it difficult for players to score.

Then they have a few designated defenders (Posey, Tony Allen, Rondo (great defender but not really a designated defender in the sense that it's his only job), and Marquis Daniels (who they were hoping would fill that role but never really did). These guys are used to slow down the other team's best player.

So yeah, we could hypothetically start JJ just like Boston starts Ray Allen. Its just that JJ has to understand that he wont get big minutes when we play miami, LA, or other teams with stud SGs. The "average Joe" shooting guards wont do enough damage to justify keeping JJ off the court.

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

quote:

The first 5 years of his career were really spent trying to catch on. Since then, he's had a series of 1 year contracts with GS, Phe, & Orl.

Bottom line, teams haven't offered him a big multi-year deal (disposable/replaceable skill set?), & players move on when they don't receive KWAN.

Looking at those past situations, I really don't think it's a reflection on him as an individual. He largely played out of position with GS & Phe...didn't really fit either team as a natural 3. The wing has been a revolving door in Orlando.

quote:
Originally posted by echo4papa:

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

quote:

And Ball Junkie, why don't you answer me this:

Would you rather have Barnes and a vet signed for the minimum/BAE as a backup PG or:

Duhon, QRich AND JJ.

As I've been sayin'...I love Barnes attitude and fire and leadership for that matter...how could any Magic fan not?!

Guess we'll find out the answers to these questions after next season rolls around...

You have an interesting style of argument/defense of your position. No one here is saying that they didn't like what Barnes brought to this team. What is being said is that, using up a significant portion of the MLE to sign Barnes would have prevented us from picking up Duhon. Duhon is a big plus to defense at the PG position. Something you have been asking for repeatedly, if I remember correctly.

Q-Rich is not at the same level as Barnes defensively, but is a better fit offensively for this team. Add that to the fact that Peaches can step into the defensive stopper role that Barnes took on last season, and a lot of people here, myself included, don't think that our defense, over all, took much of a hit with the departure of Barnes.

Now, instead of avoiding discussion and direct questions, can you answer BMP's question to you?

quote:

Would you rather have Barnes and a vet signed for the minimum/BAE as a backup PG or:

Duhon, QRich AND JJ.

Not trying to avoid your question but I'm afraid if I said what I really think it would upset/stir the masses.

So I'll not respond...

quote:

Duhon, QRich AND JJ.

Why couldn't we have kept Barnes, JJ and signed Duhon? JJ doesn't have anything to do with anything involving Matt Barnes. We had the ability to match his deal from Chicago regardless of what we did with Barnes.

But if Otis wanted Duhon so badly he could have used the trade exception to make a snt deal before the Knicks signed Stat. He had zero intentions of ever re-signing Barnes, and like the opening post said, that was a mistake. I like Q-Rich as a replacement, but I'd much rather have Barnes and his defense, attitude and leadership.

quote:
No one here is saying that they didn't like what Barnes brought to this team. What is being said is that, using up a significant portion of the MLE to sign Barnes would have prevented us from picking up Duhon. Duhon is a big plus to defense at the PG position. Something you have been asking for repeatedly, if I remember correctly.

Q-Rich is not at the same level as Barnes defensively, but is a better fit offensively for this team. Add that to the fact that Peaches can step into the defensive stopper role that Barnes took on last season, and a lot of people here, myself included, don't think that our defense, over all, took much of a hit with the departure of Barnes.

"What is being said is that, using up a significant portion of the MLE to sign Barnes would have prevented us from picking up Duhon."

- Not true at all. Otis could have had both if he wanted. He didn't want Barnes back, for whatever reason.

"Duhon is a big plus to defense at the PG position."

- This is very debatable. It's also debatable whether or not we even needed some kind of defensive guru to back up Jameer, or if a player like Duhon even fits our system.

Peaches should be able to handle the defensive stopper role decently, but that does nothing for the attitude and leadership that we lost with Barnes, especially the on-court leadership.

But more to your last point, I think you're wrong about our team defense not taking a hit. When we're playing the Heat in the playoffs, we'll all be wishing we had two capable defensive stoppers on the wing instead of just one. I have my doubts that Q-Rich can fill one of those roles. He can shoot though. I like that.

quote:
Originally posted by Section 229:

"Duhon is a big plus to defense at the PG position."

- This is very debatable. It's also debatable whether or not we even needed some kind of defensive guru to back up Jameer, or if a player like Duhon even fits our system.

Peaches should be able to handle the defensive stopper role decently, but that does nothing for the attitude and leadership that we lost with Barnes, especially the on-court leadership.

But more to your last point, I think you're wrong about our team defense not taking a hit. When we're playing the Heat in the playoffs, we'll all be wishing we had two capable defensive stoppers on the wing instead of just one. I have my doubts that Q-Rich can fill one of those roles. He can shoot though. I like that.

Opposing PG's routinely torched us last year. We couldn't stop any of them and that in turn hurts Dwight because he picks up fouls more quickly.

I would say that with the way the rules are now no matter who we throw out there against Miami they are not going to be defensive stoppers. What we have to do against them is force jumpers and get good shots against them.