Sign in to follow this  
Die Mannschaft

JJ or Matt?

quote:
Originally posted by Mayhem:

JJ, but with a bunch of Matt Barnes tattoos.

Oh....you must be talking about J Will then. White boy with tats...lol

We have Q Rich that fills the void of Barnes more than JJ. JJ is younger and hungrier. JJ also has been with one team. Barnes with 8 or something...lost count.

is this even a legit question? JJ no doubt.

does it really matter if JJ makes more than barnes? at this point, take the better player.

btw, when will we miss barnes' toughness? on a tuesday in february? his playoff "toughness" was about as evident as vince's ability to take over post season games.

Neither

JJ at 3yrs/$20M but with cap taxes = 3yrs/$40M. That's $13 MILLION a year for an undersized guard that is 26yrs old. He has worked his butt off to maximize his physical limitations but 3 years at $13 Million. Plus his contract is structured so over the first two years of his contract you pay 75% of it so as an expiring asset it is worthless if you want to trade it you might as well give it away.

That means that JJ has to be the teams "go to man" for the next 3 years. JJ is a nice off the bench high bb IQ sharpshooter, but he is not a go to guy on a championship team. For those that say JJ is blossoming, I don't get that logic, he is 26 yrs old. He can only get heavier set which will make him slower. He has already maxed his body as much as possible to compensate for short arms and being undersized for a guard. What can he improve at?

I love his attitude, ethic and effort and he definitely has improved. If RDV is willing to pay him $13M/yr without that being a reason that restricts future moves - ok - but if its at the expense of us landing a legit go to guy or a starting calibre PF then no.

quote:
Originally posted by ezzzp:

Neither

JJ at 3yrs/$20M but with cap taxes = 3yrs/$40M. That's $13 MILLION a year for an undersized guard that is 26yrs old. He has worked his butt off to maximize his physical limitations but 3 years at $13 Million. Plus his contract is structured so over the first two years of his contract you pay 75% of it so as an expiring asset it is worthless if you want to trade it you might as well give it away.

That means that JJ has to be the teams "go to man" for the next 3 years. JJ is a nice off the bench high bb IQ sharpshooter, but he is not a go to guy on a championship team. For those that say JJ is blossoming, I don't get that logic, he is 26 yrs old. He can only get heavier set which will make him slower. He has already maxed his body as much as possible to compensate for short arms and being undersized for a guard. What can he improve at?

I love his attitude, ethic and effort and he definitely has improved. If RDV is willing to pay him $13M/yr without that being a reason that restricts future moves - ok - but if its at the expense of us landing a legit go to guy or a starting calibre PF then no.

Actually, it would be around $15 mil the first year, $6.5 mil the second and $5 in the third. Assuming no other major trades happen and we dump VC, we would be well under the luxury tax in the 2nd and third years.

So we'd be paying JJ around 26.5 mil for 3 years. Yes, that's a lot, but it's not the $40 mil you're talking about.

Oh, but then again none of this matter since there's the inevitable lockout/end of the world

quote:
Originally posted by ButterMilkPancakes:

quote:
Originally posted by ezzzp:

Neither

Actually, it would be around $15 mil the first year, $6.5 mil the second and $5 in the third. Assuming no other major trades happen and we dump VC, we would be well under the luxury tax in the 2nd and third years.

So we'd be paying JJ around 26.5 mil for 3 years. Yes, that's a lot, but it's not the $40 mil you're talking about.

Oh, but then again none of this matter since there's the inevitable lockout/end of the world

I don't see how we're gonna be under the tax in 2011/12:

Lewis: 22M

Dwight: 18M

Jameer: 7.3M

Gortat: 7.3M

Pietrus: 5.3M

Bass: 4M

Duhon: 3M

Richardson: 3M

Anderson: 2.25M

Orton: 1M

Total = around $73M for 10 roster spots - and thats without JJ's contract

This year the cap is $58M and tax $70M

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

All things equal? JJ.

However, I'd rather have Barnes at 3m than JJ at 7.

So you'd give up a player who has improved every season over a guy who has clearly maxed out and is only going to decline from this point forward? Sounds.....dumb. Give me the more talented guy for a few million more every day of the week.