Sign in to follow this  
D12

jefferson to dallas? move it otis!

Wolves Want Jefferson-Dampier Trade?

Posted: 7/10/2010 8:58:00 AM

Source: Marc Stein and Tim MacMahon of ESPNDallas.com

Dallas Mavericks president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson said Friday that he is still "actively" trying to make a trade score with Erick Dampier's lucrative non-guaranteed contract.

But Nelson, in an appearance on ESPN 103.3's "Galloway & Company" show, confirmed an ESPNDallas.com report from earlier Friday that there is suddenly a real possibility that the Mavericks will not use their vaunted Dampier trade chip.

Sources told ESPNDallas.com that the Minnesota Timberwolves have been urging Dallas to part with Dampier's contract -- and draft considerations -- in exchange for Al Jefferson, who has three years left on his contract at $42 million.

Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/Head..._27129#ixzz0tIYUotst

quote:
Originally posted by Magic Fan 3:

Good. Why would we want Jefferson? Him and Dwight on the same team is redundant.

not good, i want him, and i'm sure a lot of other fans want him too!

quote:
Originally posted by D12:

quote:

Good. Why would we want Jefferson? Him and Dwight on the same team is redundant.

Just because you want big name players doesn't mean the players fit well together.

Jefferson and Dwight playing together would minimize one of their contributions to the benefit of the other. So either Jefferson becomes an extremely overpaid role player, or you bring in Jefferson to deliberately make your best player less effective. Both ideas are ridiculous.

quote:

One is a very good offensive player who can play off the block, but it kinda 'meh' on defense, while the other is a great defensive player who cant leave the low post and is kinda 'meh' on offense.

How is that redundant?

quote:

quote:

do you really think otis has not thought about that before even talking with minny? i believe in otis. and i personally do think that adding AL can put us over the hill. howard needs help. one man rebounding and banging all the time is eventually going to wear him down in grueling times. and yes production will go down as well as their stats, BUT we will certainlly have a lot more W's in the win column.

quote:
Originally posted by RoBo2002:

quote:

One is a very good offensive player who can play off the block, but it kinda 'meh' on defense, while the other is a great defensive player who cant leave the low post and is kinda 'meh' on offense.

How is that redundant?

EXACTLY!

having to big guys will almost certainly force teams to throw up jumpshots rather than driving to the glass! they could even take a chapter from each other dwight can learn offense al and Al can learn to play better d from howard.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by RoBo2002:

quote:

How is that redundant?

EXACTLY!

having to big guys will almost certainly force teams to throw up jumpshots rather than driving to the glass! they could even take a chapter from each other dwight can learn offense al and Al can learn to play better d from howard.

If this is true, then why not just keep Gortat for his defense and play him WITH Dwight and hope his offense comes around. I would much rather pin my hopes on Gortat's offense coming around more so than Jefferson's defense. Defense is much harder to get a player to do than offense.

per hoopshype :

Sources told ESPNDallas.com that the Minnesota Timberwolves have been urging Dallas to part with Dampier's contract -- and draft considerations -- in exchange for Al Jefferson, who has three years left on his contract at $42 million. The Mavericks, sources said, keep telling the Wolves that they won't surrender Dampier's contract in a Jefferson deal because they have it earmarked for a Pau Gasol-type trade, such as the centerpiece of Dallas' longstanding pursuit of New Orleans point guard Chris Paul. ESPN.com

Dallas Mavericks president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson said Friday that he is still "actively" trying to make a trade score with Erick Dampier's lucrative non-guaranteed contract. But Nelson, in an appearance on ESPN 103.3's "Galloway & Company" show, confirmed an ESPNDallas.com report from earlier Friday that there is suddenly a real possibility that the Mavericks will not use their vaunted Dampier trade chip. "A good chance," one team source said.

Im not too worried about al going to dallas...

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

quote:

quote:

Just because you want big name players doesn't mean the players fit well together.

Jefferson and Dwight playing together would minimize one of their contributions to the benefit of the other. So either Jefferson becomes an extremely overpaid role player, or you bring in Jefferson to deliberately make your best player less effective. Both ideas are ridiculous.

this.

the only reason the magic would want him here would be to 'front load' lol, the front line, knowing that it's a definate weak spot for the heat this coming year, their wing man is their heaviest player right now i think, it's not a good look for them up front.

jefferson would take touches away from dwight. dwight isn't looking to be a ben wallace type center. he wants the ball in his hands.