Sign in to follow this  
Captain Hindsight

Redick offered 3 years $20m from bulls

quote:
Originally posted by AQUARIUM61:

quote:
Originally posted by murphy13:

I'm a little late to the party here...but WOW!

3/20? I had no idea Redick would pull off that kind of money, I thought MLE for 3 years but this is even more.

Last year Otis made a FA move the day after Gortat was signed to an offer sheet, and bluffed Dallas out of Bass. Maybe he does have something up his sleeve? I doubt it though.

I have mentioned this before, but this is what I think is going to happen. First, Orlando will match the Bull's offer. Next, Vince will have half a season to turn it around, then be dealt at the trading deadline for a big name(along with Gortat probably) to put into the SL. Redick will then be the starting SG for the second half of the season and the playoffs. Hopefully, we can get CP3 at the deadline, in theory that will give Paul more time to get fed up with the crappy NOH situation and demand out. If that doesnt work, you have to atleast call Denver about Melo. After that...best available PF then next available big name as a last resort. This will require a lot of patience on our end because it means that aside from minor tweaks like a 3rd pg we will probably be standing pat until midseason.

I hope I am wrong, but I just have a feeling thats the way its going to go.

Congrats to Redick for getting that kind of offer, hard work pays off.

The problem with your theory is that no contending team will trade for an old washed up Carter. I only see the Kings, Timberwolves, or Golden State trading for him, and there is no one on those teams the Magic should want.

you are wrong on that.

i could see many non-contending teams willing to take carter from us because he is expiring so they can free up their cap for the following season.(at or around the trade deadline anyways not now)

quote:

The problem with your theory is that no contending team will trade for an old washed up Carter. I only see the Kings, Timberwolves, or Golden State trading for him, and there is no one on those teams the Magic should want.

The appeal of Carter assuming he doesn't have a resurgent year is his expiring contract.

quote:

quote:

3/20? I had no idea Redick would pull off that kind of money, I thought MLE for 3 years but this is even more.

Last year Otis made a FA move the day after Gortat was signed to an offer sheet, and bluffed Dallas out of Bass. Maybe he does have something up his sleeve? I doubt it though.

I have mentioned this before, but this is what I think is going to happen. First, Orlando will match the Bull's offer. Next, Vince will have half a season to turn it around, then be dealt at the trading deadline for a big name(along with Gortat probably) to put into the SL. Redick will then be the starting SG for the second half of the season and the playoffs. Hopefully, we can get CP3 at the deadline, in theory that will give Paul more time to get fed up with the crappy NOH situation and demand out. If that doesnt work, you have to atleast call Denver about Melo. After that...best available PF then next available big name as a last resort. This will require a lot of patience on our end because it means that aside from minor tweaks like a 3rd pg we will probably be standing pat until midseason.

His value is in his contract, for the most part-especially heading into the showdown with league officials over the CBA. A lot of losing teams will likely shed their payroll as low as they can get, knowing that the future of league finances will likely be on a smaller scale than it is today.

Then again, Vince is still one of the better sg's in the game-when he wants to be. He can still put points up. There will be a market for him when his time has come.

quote:
Originally posted by gatorbait1689:

quote:

quote:

you are wrong on that.

i could see many non-contending teams willing to take carter from us because he is expiring so they can free up their cap for the following season.(at or around the trade deadline anyways not now)

Maybe, but I do not see it. Face it, everyone saw that the Carter trade was bad.

quote:
Orlando Magic General Manager Otis Smith told the Sentinel Saturday that he "anticipates" to match the offer sheet that Magic shooting guard J.J. Redick received from the Chicago Bulls.

murphy has the link.

anticipates? either otis has something else under his sleeve, or he told chicago to make jj this offer.

quote:

Maybe, but I do not see it. Face it, everyone saw that the Carter trade was bad.

Err...

Whether the trade last year was bad has nothing to do with us trading Carter to someone else.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by gatorbait1689:

quote:

quote:

you are wrong on that.

lol yeah we don't want anyone from the timberwolves..... that was sarcasm.

quote:
Originally posted by Sebi:

quote:
Originally posted by PEC:

And to the poster before this one the names you have mentioned want a lot more money then the Magic can pay.

So either way the Magic are screwed if we go by your logic.

You are right: Unless we can find a SG that is willing to play for the rest of our MLE we are "screwed" in that regard. But that wasn't my point.

My point was that there certainly are players out there that can do the same things that JJ did for us but for less money. And IMO R.Brewer, W.Matthews and T.Allen fit that mold.

And what you don't seem to get is that the Magic can't afford any of them.

BTW I would take R. Brewer and T. Allen off that list. Brewer is being courted by both Utah and of teams Memphis. Celtics are trying to resign Allen. All of those teams can pay more then the Magic can.

Now do you see what I am talking about.

quote:
Originally posted by Darrell_Armstrong:

I think either way Otis matches. The question will be whether he trades VC and puts JJ in starting lineup or now uses JJ as another strong trade chip to a place that would want him: Utah, Chicago, Indiana, Philly.

I have to think that with the rumors circulating our chips of JJ, VC, Gortat, Bass, Pietrus and Anderson might be able to net us some combination of Al Jefferson, Corey Brewer, Iguodala and Thaddeus Young, all of whom I would be happy with.

If the Magic match they would have to wait a year before they could trade him. Remember all the talk about trading Gortat and everyone was told he couldn't be traded for a year BYC.