Sign in to follow this  
Fultz4thewin

The official PANIC!!!!!!!!! SUPER TEAM IN THE DIVISION!!!! Thread

quote:
Originally posted by deadman54:

i did have a gut feeling during last season that this was more than likely our last chance to win a championship and now it seams unless we do somthing in the trade market this could just be true.

I thought so too. Our chances are over. I am preparing myself for the disappointment. Just because Smith was a basketball players, does not make him a great gm or business man. The bad deals he made are going to haunt the Magic for years.

quote:
Originally posted by AQUARIUM61:

quote:

i did have a gut feeling during last season that this was more than likely our last chance to win a championship and now it seams unless we do somthing in the trade market this could just be true.

I thought so too. Our chances are over. I am preparing myself for the disappointment. Just because Smith was a basketball players, does not make him a great gm or business man. The bad deals he made are going to haunt the Magic for years.

So why do you think this. The Heat have used up their money signing 4 players they had one carry over and their draft picks. The rest will have to take vet's min.

Now for next season they won't have their draft picks and if the owners get their way ESPN is reporting that a major point with the owners is to get rid of the MLE. If that happens then the Heat will once again have to go to the vet's min as their only option to fill out their roster.

So the Heat have their starters and their bench is sickly. Last time I checked none of those teams doing well in the playoffs did it with just their starters they had to have a strong bench. The Magic have a strong bench along with mostly great starters.

So the only doom I see are those don't see anything, but the "three stars" and think that is all the Heat need. Guess again.

If you think about it, Otis has never really excelled at anything. Besides being named MVP of the Swedish League, he has had a lackluster career.

If it weren't for the fact that he inherited a promising, young, beast of a big man...he wouldn't have enjoyed this recent success.

quote:
Originally posted by PEC:

quote:

quote:

So why do you think this. The Heat have used up their money signing 4 players they had one carry over and their draft picks. The rest will have to take vet's min.

Now for next season they won't have their draft picks and if the owners get their way ESPN is reporting that a major point with the owners is to get rid of the MLE. If that happens then the Heat will once again have to go to the vet's min as their only option to fill out their roster.

So the Heat have their starters and their bench is sickly. Last time I checked none of those teams doing well in the playoffs did it with just their starters they had to have a strong bench. The Magic have a strong bench along with mostly great starters.

So the only doom I see are those don't see anything, but the "three stars" and think that is all the Heat need. Guess again.

Bottom line is that Magic cannot compete with the Heat now. Look at last season, we struggled with the heat with only wade playing. Look at our rooster- the only great player we have is Howard, and he gets no help down low. Nelson is good, but not great; peaches is too streaky; Lewis imo is too inconsistent; Barnes who gave the Magic toughness is gone, and Carter is just awful and untradable. If we loss JJ, it will hurt the team for several years.

Smith's bad contracts have crippled the Magic. We were unable to sign a great player such as Joe Johnson, boozer or Staudmaire. We will not be able to trade for Gerald Wallace or Stephen Jackson, because we do not have too many tradeable pieces.

Hopefully the players on our team aren't a bunch of sissies like a lot of the members of this board. The Magic should make shirts that say "Can't Compete with the Heat" and pass em out at the beginning of the season.

We're going to be top 3 in the league regular season wise and we hopefully learned a lot about mental toughness last playoffs. Quit thinking this team is as good as the Boston series. That wasn't the Orlando Magic playing to their potential, that was us being in cruise control and then it was too late before we finally figured out what was happening. Won't happen again.

quote:
Originally posted by est. 1984:

Hopefully the players on our team aren't a bunch of sissies like a lot of the members of this board. The Magic should make shirts that say "Can't Compete with the Heat" and pass em out at the beginning of the season.

We're going to be top 3 in the league regular season wise and we hopefully learned a lot about mental toughness last playoffs. Quit thinking this team is as good as the Boston series. That wasn't the Orlando Magic playing to their potential, that was us being in cruise control and then it was too late before we finally figured out what was happening. Won't happen again.

The only negative thing going for the Heat is that Bosh and Wade are injury prone. Maybe the 3 big egos will fail. Who knows.

quote:

Bottom line is that Magic cannot compete with the Heat now. Look at last season, we struggled with the heat with only wade playing. Look at our rooster- the only great player we have is Howard, and he gets no help down low. Nelson is good, but not great; peaches is too streaky; Lewis imo is too inconsistent; Barnes who gave the Magic toughness is gone, and Carter is just awful and untradable. If we loss JJ, it will hurt the team for several years.

Smith's bad contracts have crippled the Magic. We were unable to sign a great player such as Joe Johnson, boozer or Staudmaire. We will not be able to trade for Gerald Wallace or Stephen Jackson, because we do not have too many tradeable pieces.

How about we let the whole free agency period play out before we decide who can and can not compete with other teams? Miami has 5 guys (Chalmers, Miller, Wade, Bosh, and Bron) and you're already set to throw in the towel, denounce Otis, and jump into the icey waters of the North Atlantic.

Smith's bad contracts have not crippled this team, they got this team into the finals once, and the ECF's twice in a row so far. Stop acting like this team hasn't made it out of the first round in a decade or something.

Barnes is just as much gone now as he was going to be from day one. He was always going to opt out and test the waters. That has nothing to do with Otis. Carter was Otis taking a shot at something. Sure, maybe it didn't pan out the way we all hoped it would, but he IS an expiring contract and that is VERY trade-able. Report is that we will match for JJ, but if we didn't, it would not hurt this team "for several years". JJ is a great back up SG. He isn't athletic enough to play solid defense on the better SG's in this league night in and night out. I don't want to see JJ leave this team, but he is NOT worth 7 mill a year.

As far as not being able to sign or trade for certain players, your complaint here was two fold, so lets look at both pieces.

First, we weren't able to sign players like Johnson, Amare, Boozer, or other top free agents this summer. Well, guess what? The teams that were in a good position to sign the top free agents were either their own teams (our guys were locked up and not available), or were not top tier teams. Miami has been running Wade into the ground to keep their ability to sign 3 guys this summer. NY and NJ have been horrible waiting for this summer. Atlanta already had Johnson. Chicago is a young team, and had the room to sign Boozer in order to try to push themselves into being one of the top teams. We ARE one of those top teams, that's why we don't have the room to sign one of those guys. Top teams aren't generally big players in free agency. Would you feel better if we had sucked for the past four years, but were able to sign Johnson and Boozer this summer? We made it to the ECF's the past two years, and the NBA Finals last season. We shouldn't be big players in free agency, we should be looking for that one piece or so to push us over the top, and role players to fill a couple holes like Barnes leaving.

Second, your assertion that we can't trade for guys like Wallace and Jackson. Well, those guys aren't available. So yeah, we would have a hard time forcing the Bobcats to trade with us. We are in a good position even if we make no major moves this summer. Carter is a huge expiring contract, Gortat is a great trade piece, so is Anderson and Pietrus, and even Nelson for the right guy in return.

And lastly, stop looking at my "rooster".

quote:
Originally posted by Peter Griffin:

If you think about it, Otis has never really excelled at anything. Besides being named MVP of the Swedish League, he has had a lackluster career.

If it weren't for the fact that he inherited a promising, young, beast of a big man...he wouldn't have enjoyed this recent success.

You mean the guy he helped draft instead of Okafor? You think Weisbrod with his extensive basketball knowledge picked that one? Otis sucks because he couldn't create enough cap room to sign 3 near max guys in addition to the max guys he already has while fielding a team that reached or got near the finals?? What was he going to pay people with, air? love? puppies?

I don't get you people that are freaking out about Otis.