Sign in to follow this  
Dan Savage

Denton: Magic Talk Turkoglu

...Why is everyone down on Okafor? Dude could probably play a better defensive 4 than 'Shard and would be a good backup for Dwight at the very least.

It's kind of like Shaq/Zo.

quote:
Originally posted by VCdaCarter:

After one season he's calling it quits...and no one on this forum has called him a loser and bashed him for quitting on his team.

If Turk had pulled that crap as a Magic player, I'm pretty sure people would be calling him a lot more than just a loser.

Toronto wasn't a good fit for him...and since Turk can be pretty lazy, it didn't take all that long after he found himself struggling for him to loose whatever motivation he did have.

That being said, you comparing Turks situation up there to VC's here...and the differences in the way that people on this forum percieve them isn't going to change anyone's mind about VC. He failed because, mentally, he's weak. VC may not be able to jump over 7 foot Frenchmen anymore, but he's still more talented than the vast majority of SG's in the league. He disappeared when we needed him most. He wasn't injured, so what was his problem? Sadly, or infuriatingly..depending on your take, the answer seems to me that he's a weak willed wimp. I wish we could strip Vince of all his physical talents and give them to JJ. If such a thing were possible, there's no doubt in my mind that we'd win the championship...and JJ would be a truly special player. But, unfortunately, we can't do that.

Turk may be lazy, a ball hog, and a chucker...but he's not a pu**y. Vince is a nice guy and all...but he just blew his only real shot at a title because he couldn't..or wouldn't man up when it mattered most.

So, I guess it's not so much about the fact that Vince failed....but more about how and why he failed. That is why he's earned a special kind of contempt from most of the members of this board.

quote:
Originally posted by Joe_PR:

quote:
Originally posted by TheRevTy:

Otis doesn't want Turk back - but he's a better option for this team than Okafor is.

Maybe off the bench, but I think we're better off resigning Barnes than bringing Turk back.

Turk was never fast to begin with, but he's lost a step or two, and he's lazy. I personally don't miss watching him hog the ball and chuck garbage shots up.

If it's the only way to get Bosh, then so be it...but I hope Otis isn't considering bringing Turk back as the main piece in a trade with Toronto. That would be extremely disappointing, to say the least.

Speaking of disappointments, Rev, do you anticipate getting an explanation sometime soon from Magical regarding that b.s. last night? I literally wasted my entire day yesterday because I couldn't pry myself away from this board. Just when I was starting to lose hope, you go and post that message from Magical, get everyone beyond excited, and then follow up with....nothing. What's up??? After making such a bold statement, I think he needs to follow up with an explantion.

Once again, forget about Turk the player and think Turk the contract. Raptors need a big and want to rid themselves of Turk. Okafors contract runs past Howards and Shards. When Howard becomes a FA we will have a ton of cap space the way it stands now. With the CBA running out after next season, the owners may get a hard cap which means, like football, we cannot go over the cap. If you still have Okafor making 13M we will not be able to be players in FA and Howard may walk to a team with a ton of capspace during this time such as the Celtics. You cannot play Okafor with Howard because now you have 2 guys you can foul to gain their points on the line. Turk can play with this current team well AND his contract runs out at the sametime as Howard and Shards potentially putting us in the same position the Bulls and HEAT are in this summer.

For those of you who don't remember, Turk was NOT that amazing for us in last season's playoffs. He had a few good games.

That being said, does anyone know the rules on if a team can send over money in a trade, for example, we trade for Turk but Toronto sends us $30 million in cash considerations to pay his contract the next three years?

Or does that $30 million count against the total trade value? Because I'm sure we'd take him back if we didn't have to pay him his contract's full value.

quote:
Originally posted by Osprey23:

For those of you who don't remember, Turk was NOT that amazing for us in last season's playoffs. He had a few good games.

That being said, does anyone know the rules on if a team can send over money in a trade, for example, we trade for Turk but Toronto sends us $30 million in cash considerations to pay his contract the next three years?

Or does that $30 million count against the total trade value? Because I'm sure we'd take him back if we didn't have to pay him his contract's full value.

If I remember correctly, the max cash payout in a trade is 3m.

quote:

they can only send us 3 million as part of a trade. If it was more than just turk and the trade could be broken down to multiple smaller trades we could get 3 million for every one of those as well.

quote:
Originally posted by 30Assists:

...Why is everyone down on Okafor? Dude could probably play a better defensive 4 than 'Shard and would be a good backup for Dwight at the very least.

It's kind of like Shaq/Zo.

i can agree on this. maybe otis is just scared of this ugly contract! i always like oky!

quote:
Originally posted by Lewis4thewin:

quote:

they can only send us 3 million as part of a trade. If it was more than just turk and the trade could be broken down to multiple smaller trades we could get 3 million for every one of those as well.

Thanks, that's what I was looking for.

Basically if we broke it down into three separate trades, we could get a total of $9 million in cash considerations for Turk which would pay for about one year of his contract.

Worth it? Maybe if Bosh comes too, but I doubt Toronto would give us cash to pay for Turk if they're handing us Bosh as well.