Sign in to follow this  
LJ Magic

Heat and Bulls could make life tough on Magic

quote:
Originally posted by Nyce_1:

If a hard cap is enforced, what happens to the teams whose rosters are already above the suggested limit? Would they be forced to cut players or renegotiate contracts?

I don't think anybody knows enough to even speculate on that.

Logically, you'd expect to see some type of grace period, & grandfather clauses if a hard cap became the law of the land. Especially if it's coupled w/a reduced cap.

In the past however, the new CBA's have dramatically altered the landscape, and cut teams like Orlando off at the knee's indiscriminately. Based on the past, I don't see how teams could count on a smooth transition.

Granted, Stern is a master of angle shooting to shape the league how he wants it, and Orlando has never been a priority. If the new CBA dramatically impacts NBA royalty like Boston, LA, NY, & LeBron...he might transition a bit more responsibly?

But, if I had 40+M committed to 3 player for the next 5-6 seasons, and there was talk of a hard cap in the 40's on the horizon, I'd be nervous about painting myself into an incredibly tight corner given the past.

thanks killing. next summer, and the season after (whenever it starts) will definitely be very interesting. It seems like Otis is going all out now, and saying F the new restrictions we'll have to deal with later, while there are a few teams that spending wisely now, while fielding a competitive team and keeping the flexability for tomorrow.

I seriously doubt the NBA goes to a hard cap. Its been Stern's main objective during his time as commissioner to form a CBA where teams are allowed to go over the cap to resign their own players. He's very adamant in keeping it that way.

Either way, if they institute a hard cap then it has to increase past 58 million.

A hard cap in the 40's would bring the league back to 2000-2001 levels.

What will probably happen if they want a hard cap is to lower the % of salary that future max contracts are based, obviously there would be no exceptions, and no guaranteed contracts.

quote:
Originally posted by Catman:

You are completely right and this is why the Magic are going after guys like Paul.

I don't think Lebron will play with Wade. I think he is too ****y for that. I actually think he'd force a S&T to us over that. Why? He would love to have a big man like D12, but another wing like wade is just competition.

I think Lebron goes to a big market like NYC or LA if he actually does leave.

Don't get me wrong, Miami will get at least 1 stud FA. I am willing to guess it will be Bosh and possibly a B+ guy like Gay.

I will bet it will not be Bosh, it will be Amare.

quote:
Originally posted by LinkZ2009:

Just hope Lebron goes to the Clippers...

Yeah, since we all know that the Clips are title-contenders...

Keep it real. The Clips never won and never will! Leborn will not blow away his entire career to play for Sterling. I personally would prefer to see him in Brooklyn. But after all he will stay in Cleveland!!!