Sign in to follow this  
Nyce_1

Magic going in for Chris Paul

2PM Monday: The New Orleans Hornets have agreed to trade G Chris Paul. They are currently seeking out the teams he is interested in in order. More details to come.

2:10 PM Monday: Orlando Magic GM Otis Smith has addressed the Chris Paul rumors. "We got a call offering us Chris Paul. We like the guys we have. Paul is fools gold."

2:15 PM Monday: Chris Paul has been traded to the New York Knicks for Eddy Curry and a pack of smokes.

2:30 PM Monday: The Magic have signed G Chris Quinn to a 2 year contract. "We like what Chris brings to our team. We like our guys."

2:31 PM Monday: The Orlando Magic Message Boards died Monday. Cause of death is unknown, however, reports say it was due to heartbreak and heavy drinking. Frowner

I sure as hell hope that if Otis does make an offer, he denies it all. If we get Paul, sweet. If we don't, well at least there's none of that awkward, you almost traded me, look some of the players would have during the season.

Actually, if anything, he should just say he tried to trade Wince. Maybe Wincent knowing he was that close from going to another awful team would just make him play out of his mind

who am I kidding...

quote:
Originally posted by Jareth Cutestory:

2PM Monday: The New Orleans Hornets have agreed to trade G Chris Paul. They are currently seeking out the teams he is interested in in order. More details to come.

2:10 PM Monday: Orlando Magic GM Otis Smith has addressed the Chris Paul rumors. "We got a call offering us Chris Paul. We like the guys we have. Paul is fools gold."

2:15 PM Monday: Chris Paul has been traded to the New York Knicks for Eddy Curry and a pack of smokes.

2:30 PM Monday: The Magic have signed G Chris Quinn to a 2 year contract. "We like what Chris brings to our team. We like our guys."

2:31 PM Monday: The Orlando Magic Message Boards died Monday. Cause of death is unknown, however, reports say it was due to heartbreak and heavy drinking. Frowner

Unfortunately, this is a lot more believable than the thought of landing Paul.

I don't know why I can't stay away from this thread...its like watching a train wreck.

quote:
Originally posted by ezzzp:

quote:
Originally posted by magicfan83:

quote:
Originally posted by ezzzp:

quote:
Originally posted by M4G1C:

quote:
Originally posted by Lewis4thewin:

there might be a third team, but its more likely that the third team will be a nelson for picks dump.

that i agree with. if there is a 3rd team involved, it will be to take nelson. but that 3rd team is not going to be one of the few teams that have a realistic shot at cp3.

That is very narrow thinking.

NOLA and Orlando can make the trade without a third team. Once the other teams know they will not be getting Paul if they have a need/want for other assets they will proceed. To think that a team out of spite will not participate in a trade that brings them a player they want is not smart business.

Toronto and Cleveland gave Miami S/T deals - why? because once they realized they weren't getting their man they saw they should grab what they could - regardless of bitterness.

I can not see Portland wanting anything to do with a 3 team trade that does not include Paul for them. NY Knicks on the other hand have been aiming at Okafor for a while but where not able due to this summer's priorities.

Now that they are on better footing as to how to proceed, aside from making cap room for Anthony, their next priority is to secure a solid starting big man to protect Stoudemire. If and when NOLA decides to trade to Orlando, NY understanding there is no Paul, can offer to enter the trade. They can flip Curry's expiring and other players into their future center and still be positioned for a huge third contract.

here is just one example:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/t...hine?tradeId=24zfqls

Why would New York actually want Okafor and his contract? Melo, Anthony, and Okafor is hardly a core that inspires fear. And seriously, if New Orleans is forcing teams to take Okafor with Paul, why don't they just trade Okafor to the Knicks straight up, drastically improve their financial standing, and keep their franchise player? With improved financial standing they could feasibly put together a few scenarios where New Orleans would be competitive again.

New York getting involved to take Okafor and that contract makes very little sense. Isaiah Thomas isn't in charge anymore.

NY cant absorb Okafor/CP3's contracts all at once. They would have to wait until Dec 15 for most of the contracts to be trade eligible and then they would have to trade just about every single one of their players except for Stoudemire so that the salaries match.

Of course if NOLA wants to wait, as I mentioned in an earlier post this would be really good for NOLA w/cap flexibility and a lot of good young talents with small contracts.

Okafor's contract is not ridiculous. It is 4 yr $10.5/11.5/12.5/13.5 (last yr team option) for one of the top 10 centers in the league. He is no Dwight Howard but good quality true C's in the NBA get paid that much. The only reason NOLA couldn't carry his contract is because it has horrible attendance/revenue intake as one of the smallest market teams there is and it is up for sale and dumping his contract is one of the things the new owners want.

For NY not only is that not a problem but they have been targeting Okafor for over a year since he was on the trade block. They currently have Ronny Turiaf as their starting center and an untested 7footer from Russian as back up. That's correct, the undersized foul out in 5 minutes non defending career back up is their starter as of now.

Again, if New York had any real desire to take on Okafor, and New Orleans could find a taker for Okafor without giving up Paul, they would. Especially if they got back cheap assets and expirings for him. Those cheap young assets as well as financial flexibility would give them some hope that they could rebuild around Paul. The Hornets front office would do back flips all the way to Baton Rouge if the Knicks would trade Curry for Okafor straight up.

They would have more room to maneuver, gaining cap space in 2011 and they can turn Collison and West into quality assets in terms of young cheap talent and draft picks, or even include Posey and picks for a Max player. They can put themselves in position to make a run at Anthony in the summer with Chris Paul already on the roster.

Meanwhile, if New York gives up their expirings for Okafor they will have a 0% chance of landing Anthony. Not to mention, a lot of the talent that they'd like to keep (Douglas, Gallinari, Wilson Chandler and Randolph) expire and are due for raises. If they send those assets to New Orleans in a package for Okafor, (no reason to think that they would or should), then they really have no one to build around. Everyone also knows that they won't be competitive next year and therefore there's no reason to swallow a bad contract in an attempt to be competitive.

I'm just gonna keep thinking, and convincing myself, that this isn't gonna happen, so that way IF it does, I will be very pleasantly surprised...

If it doesn't, then no hard feelings.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.

quote:
Originally posted by the notorious S.A.C.:

You know if we had Riley in orlando Paul would have already been practicing at the rdv this morning and Jameer would have been long gone.

2qdudm9.gif