Sign in to follow this  
iTs JUST zo

Keep Stan?

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

quote:
Originally posted by EnFuego:

To respond again to every statement you made will make this post longer than the dead sea scrolls and all I really had to do was to read that sentence to figure you would rather shift than counter argue. Read your original post, you basically call Stan out for not addressing an issue he has addressed numerous times yet when I point that out, you give me game 4 and game 5 stats as if that proves he finally addressed it. To use the stats of game 4 and 5 to assert that Stan did not address this issue is a logical fallacy and you know it.

Your position appears to be that if Stan addresses an issue once or twice a season and it's corrected for a few games...he's done his job & fulfilled his responsibility as a coach. If the players fail to remain diligent, it's on them.

I find that laughable.

I see no point in counter arguing any further because it seems that regardless of what I say, you'll adjust it to whatever suits you.

Sure Kitno, Stan mentioned it once or twice and the guys corrected it for a few games. Good thing you don't like to argue on the extremes.

quote:
Originally posted by Debonair:

i would love to get rid of him and his panicking. get someone like avery johnson.

stan is gonna continue to make bad rotations and not make the right corrections until its too late.

the man played bass for like 3 minutes in this game and now bass will more than likely ask to leave. so now who's gonna help dwight in the front court next year? rhino?

what the magic need is a coach that will help develop talent. we had a problem with passing and play making this year that virtually went ignored. all the weaknesses of the magic were exposed in this series. stan got out coached by doc rivers of all people.

Lol avery jhonson, why dont we just ask billy donavon see if he has changed his mind.

Stan better be here next season best coach this team has ever had!

go magic!!!!

My frustration w/SVG centers around 4 issues that have gone unresolved for 3 entire seasons under his leadership...

1. Get Dwight the ball! This message should be painted on the walls of RDV. It should be ingrained in every player on the rosters brain the first day of training camp.

It's utterly rediculous that it took 3 seasons and a humiliating 0-3 start in the ECF's for this message to be sent. When Stan spends every regular season telling Dwight to remain patient when he's not getting the ball & focus on doing other things...he's fostering stupid & selfish b-ball by his team.

You got a big man who runs the floor hard, battles for position at the nail, runs all over the floor setting picks, & covers for everybody defensively...it should drive a coach crazy to watch that effort go unrewarded by a collective of chuckers.

2. Push the **** ball! The Magic play small ball with the most athletic center in the NBA. It defies logic that they have consistently ranked near the bottom of the league in fast break points under SVG. They execute fast breaks as bad as any team in the league. I've never seen a team come up empty on so many 2-1/3-2 fast breaks in my life. It should embarass a coach.

It's no secret, the Magic are at their best when they play uptempo. How SVG accepts his pg's consistently walking the ball up the floor for 3 seasons is mind numbing. Again, it shouldn't require going down 0-3 in the ECF's before the message gets sent, and that's probably why the focus on it existed for 1.5 of the 3 remaining games.

3. More offensive & defensive versatility. Stan has made virtually zero adjustments the past 3 seasons. Every improvement this team has made is soley due to personnel upgrades.

Made defensive improvements in years 2 & 3 due to adding players like Barnes, Pietrus, & Lee. Gortat assuming Foyle's role @ C. Made improvements on the boards in year 3 due to Barnes @ SF & to a lesser extend RA & Bass @ PF.

No expansion of the playbook, no diversifying the playbook, no commitment to developing a conventional look to matchup with the teams responsible for bouncing Orlando from the playoffs every season under Stan.

Who shoots off screens better than JJ in the entire NBA? Ray Allen, Rip Hamilton, & Kyle Korver? Who's your most efficient post player on the block?

Playoff basketball is all about matchups and picking at mismatches like a scab. Boston did it against Orlando, Orlando allowed the biggest mismatch it had available on the floor to go virtually unexploited.

4. Shot Selection. How many 82 game regular season will we hear Stan excuse poor shot selection with, "that's who we are", only to watch it rear it's ugly head in the playoffs? Bad habits don't correct themselves under pressure.

For a coach who is so demanding, critical & such a micromanager...The persistence of item's 1, 2, & 4 are beyond perplexing.

For a team that began the season with the goal of winning a title, how does a coach accept false successes that have zero chance of translating to the playoffs?

I can't think of any other word but mismanagement to characterize waiting to attempt to address these long standing issues until the ECF and in most cases game 4 of the ECF.

I don't think Stan should be fired. But, he absolutely has to embrace some change next season. A 4th season of status quo should not be tolerated by Otiz imo.

Just wanted to bump this and give SVG props for addressing several of these issues this offseason, specifically #3. Time will tell if he remains committed to it, but I have to give him props for openly recognizing his failure throughout training camp & preseason, and making a concerted effort to make this team more versatile this year.

The effort to build chemistry & continuity with the more conventional lineups is a welcomed site. But, I really have to acknowledge the fact SVG came into this season with new sets designed specifically for such a lineup so they aren't stuck in mud every time he attempts to utilize them. Benefits were obvious in preseason as the team didn't miss a beat with the more traditional lineups while dominating defensively.

On that note, I've also noticed several new counter plays in SVG's pick-n-roll offense designed to get Dwight the ball off movement and in position to score, and while the committment sometimes wavers, there does appear to be a greater emphasis on getting Dwight the ball inside, particularly with the lead.

I would still like to see this team push the ball harder, hit Dwight more in transition, & utilize the twin towers look that crushed Chicago in preseason more...but I think the overall adjustments SVG has made so far this season give this team improved & much needed versatility. Big Ups to SVG!

I've always said that one of Stan's biggest strengths is his ability to make adjustments. I can't decide which looks better...the offense or the defense. They both look incredibly dominant.

2. Push the **** ball! The Magic play small ball with the most athletic center in the NBA. It defies logic that they have consistently ranked near the bottom of the league in fast break points under SVG. They execute fast breaks as bad as any team in the league. I've never seen a team come up empty on so many 2-1/3-2 fast breaks in my life. It should embarass a coach.

It's no secret, the Magic are at their best when they play uptempo. How SVG accepts his pg's consistently walking the ball up the floor for 3 seasons is mind numbing. Again, it shouldn't require going down 0-3 in the ECF's before the message gets sent, and that's probably why the focus on it existed for 1.5 of the 3 remaining games.

I absolutely cringe everytime Jameer Walks the damn ball up the court everytime.... I agree on you with that.

We got to the Finals because of Rafers uptempo style always pushing the ball down the opposing teams throat. If you don't agree then there is no hope for you...

But I like SVG I mean what other coach that was available these past 3 years can do better than him?

You can't be top in the league in defending the fastbreak AND leading the fastbreak. Playing uptempo takes away a lot of energy and I'd like to see that energy being used on defense much more than seeing our guys run all game. On actual fast breaks it'd be nice to get more involved but that's personnel, our guys just aren't that great on the run. But as far as pushing tempo, not something I'm worried about at all, especially since our offensive sets are so damn good. . .

Six hours ago, I woulda said that Stan is definitely a keeper and one of the best in the business.

But now that we've lost to the HEAT, he's gotta go.

...amirite?

No, he just needs to stop being a bonehead during certain stretches.

No, he just needs to stop being a bonehead during certain stretches.

Yeah. Wtf was he doing making everyone not named Dwight msis open shots/bankers/layups. Stan is an idiot.

Yeah. Wtf was he doing making everyone not named Dwight msis open shots/bankers/layups. Stan is an idiot.

I especially hated the part where the ball was up in the air, and Stan didn't even have tell them team to grab the ball... how are they supposed to know they should rebound if the stupid coach doesn't even know what that means????????