Sign in to follow this  
Nell2ThaIzzay

Thank you, Orlando, for what may have been the best night of my life as a sports fan

Man that is a great story, very similar situation for me. I've been living in San Jose, CA pretty much my entire life and have been a die hard Magic fan since 1993. I have had NBA league pass for at least 10 years now, so I watch all the Magic games.

I've seen the Magic play in Oakland, Sacramento, vs LA Clippers, vs LA Lakers, Suns, Seattle but never in Orlando. I never got the chance to see them play in Amway arena. I'm hoping to go to the Amway Center next year hopefully for the season opener.

I did get the chance to sit front row behind the Magic bench in Sacramento earlier this year. Best NBA experience ever.

Great post man and a greater experience!

I'm happy for you but also extremely sad, but for myself. The fact that I've been a fan of this team since early 1991 and never been to the O-Rena (or the US for that matter) to see my Magic play, and now the heartbreaking fact that I will never see them in the O-Rena, makes me sad.

I've tried to go to Orlando 4 or 5 times, each time there was some obstacle. Be it the cost of the trip, death of my grandmother or stuck at work.. or just what ever weird, annoying reason... just haven't been able to. It just makes me really, really, really sad that I couldn't go to the arena that I so greatly loved from a distance, without ever seeing it in person or even touching it.

It does make me happy that I might get the chance to see the Magic again soon. Saw them in 1993 in London (vs. Hawks), but I'm turning the big 3-0 this coming February and I decided last week that I want to celebrate my 30th birthday in Orlando. Hopefully they play a homegame on the 17th, but I doubt it. Now I just need all ends to meet and let me fly to Orlando, even though it won't be in the O-Rena, but the new, bigger Center.

So all in all, this post made me happy for you and it reminded me that I missed a chance to see my all-time favorite team, which I bleed blue for, play in their original home. Something I tried to do for almost 20 years. Man, I hate that fact! GAH!

smile_svgsad.png

quote:
Originally posted by AddiFB:

I'm happy for you but also extremely sad, but for myself. The fact that I've been a fan of this team since early 1991 and never been to the O-Rena (or the US for that matter) to see my Magic play, and now the heartbreaking fact that I will never see them in the O-Rena, makes me sad.

I've tried to go to Orlando 4 or 5 times, each time there was some obstacle. Be it the cost of the trip, death of my grandmother or stuck at work.. or just what ever weird, annoying reason... just haven't been able to. It just makes me really, really, really sad that I couldn't go to the arena that I so greatly loved from a distance, without ever seeing it in person or even touching it.

It does make me happy that I might get the chance to see the Magic again soon. Saw them in 1993 in London (vs. Hawks), but I'm turning the big 3-0 this coming February and I decided last week that I want to celebrate my 30th birthday in Orlando. Hopefully they play a homegame on the 17th, but I doubt it. Now I just need all ends to meet and let me fly to Orlando, even though it won't be in the O-Rena, but the new, bigger Center.

So all in all, this post made me happy for you and it reminded me that I missed a chance to see my all-time favorite team, which I bleed blue for, play in their original home. Something I tried to do for almost 20 years. Man, I hate that fact! GAH!

smile_svgsad.png

I know how you feel... I grew up in that arena, I watched magic games galore from opening season there, I Graduated High School in that building in 95'... and now this year i was a STH for the first time (or last time depening how you look at it) Its alike 20 years on history just gonna be gone. It's very similar to Church Street, The Exchange, Wall St (when it used to end in a wall) lol

quote:
Originally posted by Nathan Rule:

quote:

smile_svgsad.png

I know how you feel... I grew up in that arena, I watched magic games galore from opening season there, I Graduated High School in that building in 95'... and now this year i was a STH for the first time (or last time depening how you look at it) Its alike 20 years on history just gonna be gone. It's very similar to Church Street, The Exchange, Wall St (when it used to end in a wall) lol

it used to end at a wall?

and the exchange is no more, maybe after the new arena opens

and i graduated high school from the o rena as well, lake howell, c/o 2001

quote:
Originally posted by cunningstunt:

quote:
Originally posted by Nathan Rule:

quote:

smile_svgsad.png

it used to end at a wall?

and the exchange is no more, maybe after the new arena opens

and i graduated high school from the o rena as well, lake howell, c/o 2001

haha... lol yeah wall street used to end in like a cul-de-sac and it where all the goth/smoker ppl used to hang out. the exchange is still there but not like when it was "THE EXCHANGE"

quote:
Originally posted by Nell2ThaIzzay:

wait, you guys actually had your high school graduation at Amway???

Yes. I also shouted Go Magic on the mic but Mr. Nadler was not amused.

quote:
Originally posted by ButterMilkPancakes:

quote:

Yes. I also shouted Go Magic on the mic but Mr. Nadler was not amused.

Did Mr. Nadler DJ your dances, too?

quote:
Originally posted by gporter:

quote:

Yes.

yes.. we took the whole floor!