Sign in to follow this  
Chase

Dwight STILL needs to grow up

This kid is driving me up the wall. What will it take for him to just play the game and quit having chit-chats and temper tantrums with the refs?

Okay so you are getting hit, punched, pulled, kneed, scratched, held, and everything in between and the refs aren't calling all of them--Fine. Let it go and play your game.

I think he needs to go back and watch Peaceful Warrior and be in constant prayer throughout the games.

In this series I think he should just focus on rebounding, clogging up the paint and quick crisp passes out of the paint. No more dribbling and crazy 5 foot shot puts. There has to be a time when he realizes that he is just not going to score and look to contribute by playing smart.

Redick, Carter and Nelson should be the guys Stan focuses on getting their offense going as they can exploit their matchups. Lewis just needs to hit a shot or two.

Primary lineup needs to be:

Nelson/Jwill

Redick/Pietrus

Carter/Pietrus

Lewis/Gortat

Howard/Gortat

It's clear Barnes was hurt. Only go with Anderson/Bass when the game is either up or down 10 points or more.

I think Dwight can't stand it if he doesn't score. He can dominate a game without scoring. He should stop forcing shots up just because he hasn't scored a lot.

It was not that this was a BAD game by Dwight that annoyed me.

It was that his DECISIONS that he was making were bad, and he kept making those bad decisions over and over. If it is not working, then change it and go with things that do work. This should be placed on Van Gundy as much as Howard. Should have moved the ball more often and penitrated. Like what Carter was doing all game! Redick is more than capable of doing that as well.

One word to describe Dwight Howard yesterday, and that's soft. Every time he got fouled he had a chance for an and one and would just lightly toss it in the general area of the hoop hoping it went in instead of putting an actual shot on it. Jareth summarized it perfectly in the chat calling it a "stupid 2k10 shot". I'm not saying he needs to slam it home (sometimes he does), I'm sure it's hard to dunk while giving someone a piggy back ride. Give us what LeBron didn't give Cleveland, EFFORT.

This is what makes an star player. I love Dwight but he just hasn't progressed offensively as he should. His lack of openness to changing that stupid bent elbow free throw shot to a more consistent straight elbow technique, to not developing a little 15 footer jumper, to other little things.

Forget the movies. Get your game right. Your suppose to be the star player and you continue to do things thats costing your team W's.

quote:
Should have moved the ball more often and penitrated. Like what Carter was doing all game! Redick is more than capable of doing that as well.

The thing is, it's much harder to penetrate (that is, when using pick and roll with howard) when howard can't take pressure off of his shooters. when he's ineffective, that makes it that much easier to pressure perimeter players.

Nothing against Dwight, who is obviously a heck of a player. But, on our Celtics board yesterday, there were people hoping your coach would keep Howard in there rather than Gortat, who has the reputation on our board as a Celtics killer. I don't know exactly what it is about Gortat's game (you can probably educate me), but Gortat seems to matchup up really well against the Celts.

Obviously, flip-flopping the roles of Dwight and Gortat would be utterly ridiculous. But I wonder whether Van Gundy would be well advised to use them in tandem for more minutes.

My own theory is that the number one reason the Celtics won yesterday's game was because they had just enough available fouls to be defensively aggressive until the fourth quarter. Add another two minutes to that quarter, and who knows what might have happened?

So I'm thinking one key to the Magic's hopes may be getting the Celtics' bigs to commit more fouls earlier in the game, so they'll lose some of their aggressiveness earlier.

They do have another big, Shelden Williams, who doesn't play a lot; but he has played so well at both ends (especially in the rebounding department) during his moments on the floor (including a few in the Cavs series) that Doc might throw him in to make another six fouls available. But I think you guys would rather see Shelden in there than any of the top four Celtics bigs.

And, most of the time you make your opponents adjust in the playoffs, it weakens them.

Believe me, I really want the Celts to win this series, but I thought I'd throw out this idea just to get your reactions. At the same time, on my own Celtics board, I'll be raising the possibility of playing Shelden a little bit. Just call me a double-agent. LOL.

By the way, if all basketball teams were as deep as your board is, nobody would ever win. You should feel really good about this board.

SlipperySam

quote:
I don't know exactly what it is about Gortat's game (you can probably educate me), but Gortat seems to matchup up really well against the Celts.

Probably because of Gortat's foot and lateral quickness. He's probably very similar to the Atlanta bigs; just longer.

quote:
So I'm thinking one key to the Magic's hopes may be getting the Celtics' bigs to commit more fouls earlier in the game, so they'll lose some of their aggressiveness earlier.

Howard is going to draw fouls all the time; which is why we still must continue to go to him.