Sign in to follow this  
Darthmagic

The designated defender

I have never liked/understood the concept of having a specialized defender in your starting line up. IMO it was a waste as the position could be used for a talented guy who can put the ball in the basket. However, after watching the Cavs and Celts go at it i have changed my opinion.

Much of Paul Pierces problems during the series came about as a result of having to check Lebron for much of the game. It's difficult for an offensive player to try and defend Lebron and carry his team on the other end. If the Celts had a specialized defender it could have really helped Pierce by taking Lebron on the defensive end and stretching the floor for him on the offensive end.

I think we are in a really good position by having a two guys who can provide that level of defense and still be very relevant offensively.

I have never liked/understood the concept of having a specialized defender in your starting line up. IMO it was a waste as the position could be used for a talented guy who can put the ball in the basket. However, after watching the Cavs and Celts go at it i have changed my opinion.

Much of Paul Pierces problems during the series came about as a result of having to check Lebron for much of the game. It's difficult for an offensive player to try and defend Lebron and carry his team on the other end. If the Celts had a specialized defender it could have really helped Pierce by taking Lebron on the defensive end and stretching the floor for him on the offensive end.

I think we are in a really good position by having a two guys who can provide that level of defense and still be very relevant offensively.

quote:
Originally posted by GhostAnime:

At the same time we have nobody to make a special offensive player work on the other end. Catch 22. You remember what happened with Kobe.

Exactly.

quote:
Originally posted by KandiKane:

Do you expect Barnes to guard Ray Ray?

and Carter to Take Pierce?

barnes would be great, and then Pietrus comes in for Pierce. This may be crazy, but i don't mind redick guarding ray ray for small stretches of the game.

quote:
Originally posted by bigpimpatl:

quote:
Originally posted by KandiKane:

Do you expect Barnes to guard Ray Ray?

and Carter to Take Pierce?

barnes would be great, and then Pietrus comes in for Pierce. This may be crazy, but i don't mind redick guarding ray ray for small stretches of the game.

Redick proved that he proved he could guard Ray Ray last year. He was very effective.

I kind of think that they may use Barnes to guard Ray Ray when him and Carter are on the floor. If Barnes and Redick are on, then Redick takes him. If Pietrus and Carter, then Peaches takes him. If Pietrus and Redick, then Redick takes him.

Who ever has him is going to have a very tiring time. Ray Ray and (Hamilton) are the two players that take the biggest tank to guard.

Svg is going to start Barnes on Ray Allen, and VC on Pierce. Barnes said he's been chasing JJ around off of screens in practice to get ready for Allen.

quote:
Originally posted by Bucktown:

Svg is going to start Barnes on Ray Allen, and VC on Pierce. Barnes said he's been chasing JJ around off of screens in practice to get ready for Allen.

That's as good a practice as you can get. The length should bother Ray Ray some.

Barnes & JJ (some pietrus) on Ray.

Vince & Pietrus (some Barnes) on Pierce

Looks good to me.