Sign in to follow this  
Franchero MVP

Tim Donaghy Comments on Orlando-Bobcats Series

quote:
Originally posted by TreyTime:

quote:
Originally posted by Sebi:

Yeah, that facebook page is definitely good to stir up some discussion. Personally, (while I'm not a big fan of David Stern) I don't know how much stock I can put in the comments of an ex-referee who bet on games and went to jail for it.

People said the same thing about Jose Canseco.

After 'googling' that name I'm guessing you're referring to the steroid scandal. Please excuse my ignorace when it comes to baseball but I really know too little about what happened there in order to compare the two situations.

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah, that facebook page is definitely good to stir up some discussion. Personally, (while I'm not a big fan of David Stern) I don't know how much stock I can put in the comments of an ex-referee who bet on games and went to jail for it.

After 'googling' that name I'm guessing you're referring to the steroid scandal. Please excuse my ignorace when it comes to baseball but I really know too little about what happened there in order to compare the two situations.

Jose Canseco was the first player to get really hammered by baseball for steroids. He then wrote a tell all book and mentioned names of players taking steroids. Nobody took him seriously because everyone figured he just didn't want to look like the only guy juicing (like how Stern says Donaghy was a lone rogue). Over the years all of the names Canseco mentioned in his book have been proven to have juiced. Some notable names:

Barry Bonds

Mark McGwire

Sammy Sosa

Alex Rodriguez

Manny Ramirez

Roger Clemens

Everyone has been proven guilty of steroids with the exception of Bonds technically, but even he is considered "OJ Simpson" guilty.

quote:

In general where there's smoke, there's fire

Or someone blowing smoke

Or someone trying to put a fire out

Stern probably could fit either icon_smile.gif

I love how people hate mark mcguire and sosa for using steroids when they literally saved that boring sport with the homerun chase a few years ago.

quote:

Which is why exposing corruption is so difficult. Possessing knowledge of it typically requires one to be corrupt. Admitting to being a conspirator simultaneously establishes credibility & destroys it.

Sterns comments are rather amussing to me...

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/...iticism-of-referees/

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Jose Canseco was the first player to get really hammered by baseball for steroids. He then wrote a tell all book and mentioned names of players taking steroids. Nobody took him seriously because everyone figured he just didn't want to look like the only guy juicing (like how Stern says Donaghy was a lone rogue). Over the years all of the names Canseco mentioned in his book have been proven to have juiced. Some notable names:

Barry Bonds

Mark McGwire

Sammy Sosa

Alex Rodriguez

Manny Ramirez

Roger Clemens

Everyone has been proven guilty of steroids with the exception of Bonds technically, but even he is considered "OJ Simpson" guilty.

Fair enough. As I said, I don't know how much stock I can put in his comments. Maybe they are true. Maybe they are false. Maybe I just want them to be false because I'd be really pissed if the league was rigged.

Either way, thanks for enlighting me as to how that steroid scandal went down.

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

Which is why exposing corruption is so difficult. Possessing knowledge of it typically requires one to be corrupt. Admitting to being a conspirator simultaneously establishes credibility & destroys it.

True.

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

According to Stern, it's the coaches creating this "corrosive" environment, not the fact a former ref exposed obvious tank jobs that altered NBA history...

He compares SVG to Phil Jackson & Pat Riley for one measely comment? Why so hypersensitive David?

Message seems clear, I make you all a lot of $, **** or else I will end the gravy train for you!

Yes, the current situation is pretty messed up. For me, the fact that nobody is allowed to criticize the bad calls is even worse than the bad calls themselves.

quote:
Originally posted by Its just zo:

I love how people hate mark mcguire and sosa for using steroids when they literally saved that boring sport with the homerun chase a few years ago.

Not hating them for it, just pointing out that nobody believed Canseco in the beginning even though he was right. It's very similar situation with Donaghy.

quote:
Admitting to being a conspirator simultaneously establishes credibility & destroys it.

Summed up perfectly right there. It's a win-lose situation.

That's why you have to look at his arguments from an objective point of view instead of playing the ad-hominem game.

Remembering the series pisses me off and I noticed all of you forgot that Howard's fouls were half dumb fouls and half bs.

His first fouls were the ones that were bull****. This was when you would see Chandler and Ratliff rap there arms around his arms (Which is a foul) and then he was called for the foul for trying to get loose so he could grab the ball. Then I here people started to say that Dwight needs to keep his arms low? W*T*F? He needs to put his arms in the air to grab the freaking ball. Then his other fouls came on cheap ticky tack calls...calls of which he wouldn't get on offense at all.

The

Like someone mentioned above, the last person we want is Tim Donaghy on our side. Absolutely nobody can say he's wrong. He's worked as an NBA ref and has nothing to lose from saying anything he wants about the league Nobody can also say he is right either but I mean whats the point of lying when you've been there?