Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

CBS Report: Howard Almost Traded to Rockets in 2012

Rockets GM Daryl Morey told CBS Sports Radio's John Feinstein recently that Howard might've actually been a Rocket at the 2012 trade deadline instead. “We were sort of the ugly guy chasing the pretty girl for awhile,” Morey told Feinstein. “We [had tried] to trade for him twice. In fact, once we were allowed to talk to Dwight when free agency started off, he told us how – and we didn't know this for sure – but how Orlando basically told him he was going to get traded to us if he didn't re-up with them a couple years back when he resigned. He was almost a Rocket a couple times. Obviously in this business, you've got to be well-prepared, and you have to have some good fortune.”

League sources confirmed that the Magic and Rockets did, in fact, tentatively agree to a trade in March 2012 that both sides were prepared to follow through on had Howard forced the Magic's hand and kept his right to opt out after the season and become a free agent. It would've involved at least some of the young assets that were so attractive to Howard this summer when he chose the Rockets as a free agent. (Magic officials, according to sources, later told Rockets officials that they preferred Houston's deal to Brooklyn's.) Thus, while Howard gave up some money in the short term to leave LA, he wound up on a roster that didn't have to be decimated to acquire him.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/ken-berger/23149195/unlike-lebron-dwight-howard-faces-no-derision-after-decision

What a douche

Likely HWNSNBU maneuvered Dwight to LA for a shot at the ring knowing full well if it didnt work out Houston wouldnt be gutted to acquire Dwight. I wish we gutted them and they had no shot at Harden instead. Good maneuvering by Dwight's handlers for once...but he is still an arse.

Shouldn't we have already assumed this? No one actually believed he came back out of the goodness of his heart, right? It was a tactic to avoid an unwanted destination, a ploy to keep his wish of being in Brooklyn alive.

I really do not see how this is news considering we knew this at the time all of this was going on. That package the OKC got is atrocious so I am glad we avoided that anyway.

• Upvote 1

I really do not see how this is news considering we knew this at the time all of this was going on. That package the OKC got is atrocious so I am glad we avoided that anyway.

Correct

Shouldn't we have already assumed this? No one actually believed he came back out of the goodness of his heart, right? It was a tactic to avoid an unwanted destination, a ploy to keep his wish of being in Brooklyn alive.

Of course. The part that turns my stomach (amoung other things) is that he now acts like he is soooo happy to be in Houston when he did everything in his power to avoid going there. The only difference is that they got Harden. He has no vision, no imagination, he is a giant tool. A phony douche with a lame sense of humor who does ****y impersonations of people and the only reason they laugh is because of who he is. If he was anyone else he would have been pantsed and stuffed in a locker with a kick me sign on his back.

• Upvote 2

Of course. The part that turns my stomach (amoung other things) is that he now acts like he is soooo happy to be in Houston when he did everything in his power to avoid going there. The only difference is that they got Harden. He has no vision, no imagination, he is a giant tool. A phony douche with a lame sense of humor who does ****y impersonations of people and the only reason they laugh is because of who he is. If he was anyone else he would have been pantsed and stuffed in a locker with a kick me sign on his back.

So what you're telling me is that Dwight Howard is a swell guy to hang out with during weekend barbeques and drunk pogo stick marathons? Sounds good.

• Upvote 1

Except when he was here. And we loved him for all those things. But now that he's gone...

Except when he was here. And we loved him for all those things. But now that he's gone...

Incorrect. We loved him here for playing good basketball. His jokester image and lack of leadership were always more of a distraction that we tolerated. You can point to all the things that Marc said against Dwight and credit them all to how we couldn't quite get over the hump to win the championship with him here. I saw one too many blowout losses with Dwight smiling and joking on the bench to give him any credit for having any sort of championship mentality.