Sign in to follow this  
Darthmagic

Should the NBA increase the number of fouls allowed?

quote:
Originally posted by Darthmagic:

For those who say no, why?

Allowing players more personal fouls leads to more fouls beeing committed, which leads to more free throws, which is very boring to watch and takes the flow out of the game.

In Europe a player can only committ 5 fouls, might be one of the reasons why European games have a more flowing game with less interruption.

Its just terrible to watch a game that turns into a free throw contest, thats what allowing more fouls can lead to.

I hear what you are all saying, but look a the situation Dwight he is in. He enforces the paint like no one in the league does. He is constantly in danger of getting fouled out of every game. Without Dwight our game changes dramatically on both ends.

He's not gonna back down and give a offensive player an easy path to the rim. So basically we will always have a Super Star in danger of not being able to he'll his team every game.

I like Bhnole's point about unlimited fouls only encouraging the hack strategy.

I do feel that 6 personal fouls and then a player is out is pretty ridiculous.

Comparing sports doesn't always work, but in this case, I want to compare basketball to football. An offensive lineman can be whistled for holding or for false starts an unlimited number of times per game. A cornerback can be called for illegal contact an unlimited number of times per game. The only infraction that can get you tossed is personal fouls, and even that is heavily in the referee's discretion.

It just bothers me that a team can be forced to play without a certain player just because he touches a player's wrist too many times. Even worse, many of those fouls were called by referees who don't always have a good line of sight or who have to make an instantaneous judgement call. The point being, it is out of the player's hands.

I think there should be a happy medium where players cannot be made ineligible, but there is a more costly penalty beginning with the 6th foul. For instance, for the 6th foul and beyond, the fouled player gets two free throws AND a technical (made by the designated best FT shooter on the court). At least this way, the player remains eligible, but the coach has to make a decision about whether it is wise to keep the player with 6 fouls out on the court.

This could work for us when people foul Howard. A player with 6 fouls hacks Howard and there is a good chance he makes at least one of them. Then someone like Jameer nails the technical free throw, and we still have our two points.

It could also work in our favor if Howard is the one with 6 fouls. We can have him out there and it would almost immediately alter how the opposing team plays offense. They'd be driving at him on every possession, trying to get two FTs and a tech FT.

quote:
Originally posted by Live or Die Magic:

I like Bhnole's point about unlimited fouls only encouraging the hack strategy.

I do feel that 6 personal fouls and then a player is out is pretty ridiculous.

Comparing sports doesn't always work, but in this case, I want to compare basketball to football. An offensive lineman can be whistled for holding or for false starts an unlimited number of times per game. A cornerback can be called for illegal contact an unlimited number of times per game. The only infraction that can get you tossed is personal fouls, and even that is heavily in the referee's discretion.

It just bothers me that a team can be forced to play without a certain player just because he touches a player's wrist too many times. Even worse, many of those fouls were called by referees who don't always have a good line of sight or who have to make an instantaneous judgement call. The point being, it is out of the player's hands.

I think there should be a happy medium where players cannot be made ineligible, but there is a more costly penalty beginning with the 6th foul. For instance, for the 6th foul and beyond, the fouled player gets two free throws AND a technical (made by the designated best FT shooter on the court). At least this way, the player remains eligible, but the coach has to make a decision about whether it is wise to keep the player with 6 fouls out on the court.

This could work for us when people foul Howard. A player with 6 fouls hacks Howard and there is a good chance he makes at least one of them. Then someone like Jameer nails the technical free throw, and we still have our two points.

It could also work in our favor if Howard is the one with 6 fouls. We can have him out there and it would almost immediately alter how the opposing team plays offense. They'd be driving at him on every possession, trying to get two FTs and a tech FT.

Very well thought out post. I was looking at it objectively and i understand the concerns, but i still think something should be done about the 6 and out situation. No other sport has to endure this kind of thing. It really does not encourage defense at all.

What is the penalty of shooting too much? You might miss tons of shots and your coach pulls you. But what is the penalty for playing consistent aggressive defense? Fouling, which limits your time on the court. Have you ever seen an offensive player reluctant to try to score because he has between 3-5 fouls? But defenders are always cautious in the same situation. It needs to be evened up a bit.

quote:
Originally posted by echo4papa:

Unlimited fouls would result in more minutes per game by Dwight (Woohoo) and a shorter career (Booo), and a greater chance of injury (Booo).

Not to mention more fouls allowed means refs would have no problem whistling more of them as they now know a player won't go to the bench right away.

I think even if they didn't make a player leave a game after the 6th but imposed a penalty that refs would be even more willing to call that 7th, 8th, and 9th foul because an extra FT doesn't have the game impact a foul-out does.

No. I don't think they should increase the foul limit, instead I think all the NBA officials should sit down this summer and talk about what a foul actually is. They need to learn the difference from a offensive player initiating contact from a defensive player initiating contact. These plays where the offensive player swings his arms under the defenders arms during a jump shot is ridiculous, heck you can't even contest a jump shot anymore because the offensive player will jump into you. You even have players that SLOW down during a FAST break just to try and get a foul call. Even when our own players do this, its still annoying and wish it would be fixed. When we have Dwight putting his hands straight up, sometimes not even jumping, and still being called for a foul is ludicrous.

Only one person knows for sure if theirs a 'Stern Conspiracy', but I'm sure the entire league knows that theirs 'Bad Officiating' in the NBA and it needs to be addressed to make the game more viable for the players and fans.

quote:
Originally posted by Mickinator:

No. I don't think they should increase the foul limit, instead I think all the NBA officials should sit down this summer and talk about what a foul actually is. They need to learn the difference from a offensive player initiating contact from a defensive player initiating contact. These plays where the offensive player swings his arms under the defenders arms during a jump shot is ridiculous, heck you can't even contest a jump shot anymore because the offensive player will jump into you. You even have players that SLOW down during a FAST break just to try and get a foul call. Even when our own players do this, its still annoying and wish it would be fixed. When we have Dwight putting his hands straight up, sometimes not even jumping, and still being called for a foul is ludicrous.

Only one person knows for sure if theirs a 'Stern Conspiracy', but I'm sure the entire league knows that theirs 'Bad Officiating' in the NBA and it needs to be addressed to make the game more viable for the players and fans.

Great post and I agree totally. Not only should they should sit down and talk about that but also bring up flopping, letting some physical stuff go like banging in the post and just the let the game go. If its a blowout...its a blowout. To dictate the game for ratings is corruption at its finest. If a team goes in the playoffs and blows em out, so be it.

Yeah guys, I'm sure none of these refs talk about these things. They all probably go home and watch The House of Payne with Jareth... smile_svgsad.png

quote:
Originally posted by ButterMilkPancakes:

Yeah guys, I'm sure none of these refs talk about these things. They all probably go home and watch The House of Payne with Jareth... smile_svgsad.png

Low blow Bronus the Bear. Low blow. smile_svgsad.png

quote:
Originally posted by ButterMilkPancakes:

No they just talk about how much fans like yourself really bought it.