Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

J. Hollinger likes the Cavs over Magic in ECF(espn link)

I still maintain that we will not face the Cavs in the ECF because the Celts are going to beat them. However, if we do face the Cavs i have to give them the upper hand. It's not a sure thing that they beat us, but i think they would. But as i said before, it won't come to that icon_cool.gif

I really have no problem with Hollinger picking the Cavs. They are a really good squad. Hollinger is right at the top of my list of ESPN analysts whose opinion I respect.

quote:
Originally posted by ButterMilkPancakes:

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

The guy who relies on statistical analysis for his entire perspective of the NBA choose to ignore his analysis and pick Cleveland over Orlando on a hunch?

That's almost as comical and hearing Obama claim the government should cut funding for NASA because the private sector can do it more efficiently.

Did the analysis or the hunch pick Pheonix to emerge from the West? Cause, I can claim with near certainty that one of those two functions is broken to ish based upon that prediction!

He did explain why... it really isn't exactly "fair" to use the Cavs' latest games as a measure because they have been resting their starters (or have a few injured) for the end of the season.

I see Cavs/Magic going into a 7 game series and game 7 really could go either way.

I have no issue w/him picking the Cavs. I'm highlighting the inconsistency in his methods. Hence, the Obama championing capitalism when it's convenient reference.

Hollinger makes fair & valid points...but they are one sided arguments as i HATE Rich DeVos highlighted.

quote:
The guy who relies on statistical analysis for his entire perspective of the NBA choose to ignore his analysis and pick Cleveland over Orlando on a hunch?

I think the two-teams are very even. It's gonna come down to a shot here and there. And when teams are this close, if you're objective, I think all you can go on is a hunch.

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

It seemed to work: The Cavs won two of the three regular-season meetings that mattered (I'm not including their last meeting),

Pick: Cavs in seven

So the whole season is boiled down to a November 11 victory by Cleveland. (We split the two in February and the other one "didn't matter"). No Rashard or Ryan Anderson (who had a sprained ankle) and a team with 3 new players in the starting line-up playing their 9th game together.

The guy has been doing a great job of rellying on total quantitative data all year long, then reasons his pick on the most absurd of premises.

I love his job.

Hollinger is one of the few people that has always respected us and one of the few experts I like. I won't be mad for him picking the Cavs over us in 7. Same goes for Charles Barkley

quote:
Originally posted by i HATE Rich DeVos:

Throw out the last game but ignore the fact that in the first game we were missing a coldblooded cav killer?

You can't honestly believe Lewis has the same impact as LeBron...

I feel like it's 1-1. The team the 9nth game of the season was far different from the team we are now.

The game at Amway which we won, was a deserved win for us. The last game at Cleveland we lossed, they earned.

First game was very early in the season, and we were missing Lewis, and our other stretch 4. Everyone was still learning to play with eachother. Same goes for Cavs kinda.

Last game we played lebron-less Cavs. Thats like playing a whole different team, not counted.

quote:
Originally posted by EnFuego:

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

It seemed to work: The Cavs won two of the three regular-season meetings that mattered (I'm not including their last meeting),

Pick: Cavs in seven

So the whole season is boiled down to a November 11 victory by Cleveland. (We split the two in February and the other one "didn't matter"). No Rashard or Ryan Anderson (who had a sprained ankle) and a team with 3 new players in the starting line-up playing their 9th game together.

The guy has been doing a great job of rellying on total quantitative data all year long, then reasons his pick on the most absurd of premises.

I love his job.

How exactly is him not taking into account the Cavs' last few games without LeBron (and for a few most of their starters) absurd??? He said he would not take into account those last few games and he shouldn't... just like he wouldn't do it if we rested Howard/Nelson/Carter for the last few games.

I mean yes, the fact that he counted the first game and not the last was a bit out nowhere, but in no way are the two games remotely similar as far as impact. Lewis/Anderson, not even combined, could impact the game as much as LeBron/Shaq would for the Cavs.

With that being said, that was hardly the reason why he picked the Cavs. He mentioned before those guys going out how close Cleveland and Orlando were to each other, and from then on it was basically a coin toss, in which his landed for Cleveland...